Althea & Donna
|Althea & Donna|
|Labels||Virgin, Lightning, Front Line|
Althea & Donna were a Jamaican reggae vocal duo, consisting of Althea Rose Forrest and Donna Marie Reid. They are best known for their 1977 single "Uptown Top Ranking", which was a number one hit in the United Kingdom in 1978.
The Jamaican teenage singers Althea Forrest and Donna Reid - then 17 and 18 years old respectively - caused a chart surprise when their reggae song "Uptown Top Ranking" became a UK No. 1 in February 1978. They released the album of the same name in 1978, on which they are produced by Karl Pitterson and backed by The Revolutionaries, on the Virgin Records subsidiary Front Line, and several more singles, but never met with any more tangible success thereafter. In 2001, Caroline Records reissued the full-length "Uptown Top Ranking".
- "Uptown Top Ranking" (1977) Lightning/Joe Gibbs/Warners, (1978) Virgin (UK No. 1)
- "Puppy Dog Song" (1978) Front Line
- "Going to Negril" (1978) Front Line
- "Top Rankin" (1995) Ice Town Music
- Uptown Top Ranking (1978) Virgin/Front Line
- One-hit wonders in the UK
- List of reggae musicians
- List of performers on Top of the Pops
- List of artists who reached number one on the UK Singles Chart
- Caribbean music in the United Kingdom
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 188. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "Althia & Donna". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 21. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Jo-Ann Greene. "Uptown Top Ranking - Althea & Donna : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Moskowitz, David V. (2006) Caribbean Popular Music: an Encyclopedia of Reggae, Mento, Ska, Rock Steady, and Dancehall, Greenwood Press, ISBN 0-313-33158-8, p. 10-11
- Prato, Greg "Artist Biography by Greg Prato", Allmusic, Retrieved 30 July 2014