This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2019)
v188.8.131.52.3 / March 22, 2021
|Operating system||AIX, HP-UX, Linux|
|Type||Database Management System|
ALTIBASE is a hybrid database, relational open source database management system manufactured by Altibase Corporation. The software comes with a hybrid architecture which allows it to access both memory-resident and disk-resident tables using single interface. It supports both synchronous and asynchronous replication and offers real-time ACID compliance. Support is also offered for a variety of SQL standards and programming languages. Other important capabilities include data import and export, data encryption for security, multiple data access command sets, materialized view and temporary tables, and others.
From 1991 through 1997 the Mr.RT project was an in-memory database research project, conducted by the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute a government-funded research organization in South Korea. Altibase was incorporated in 1999.
The first version, called Spiner, was released in 2000 for commercial use. It took half of the in-memory DBMS market share in South Korea.
In 2002 the second version was released renamed to Altibase v2.0. By 2003, Altibase v3.0 was released and it entered the Chinese market. Released version 4.0 with hybrid architecture, combining RAM and disk databases, was released in 2004.
In 2005 Altibase began working with Chinese telecommunications providers for billing systems, and Taiwanese financial companies for home trading systems. The software was certified by the Telecommunications Technology Association. The Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs gave it an award in 2006. Offices in China and United States opened in 2009.
In 2011, version 5.5.1 was renamed it to HDB (for "hybrid database"). The Altibase Data Stream product for complex event processing was renamed DSM. The product received a Korean technology award. Altibase introduced certification services. In 2012, HDB Zeta and Extreme were announced, and DSM renamed to CEP
Altibase went open source in February, 2018.
According to marketing research, Altibase had 650 customers and thousands of installations.
Altibase's clients in the telecommunications, financial services, manufacturing, and utilities sectors include Bloomberg, LG U+, E*TRADE, HP, UAT Inc., SK Telecom, KT Corporation (formerly Korea Telecom), Hyundai Securities, Samsung Electronics, Shinhan Bank, Woori Bank, The South Korean Ministry of Defense, G-Market, and Chung-Ang University.
ALTIBASE is a so-called "hybrid DBMS", meaning that it simultaneously supports access to both memory-resident and disk-resident tables via a single interface. It is compatible with Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and Windows. It supports the complete SQL standard, features Multiversion concurrency control (MVCC), implements Fuzzy and Ping-Pong Checkpointing for periodically backing up memory-resident data, and ships with Replication and Database Link functionality.
Altibase acquired an in-memory database engine from the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute in February 2000, and commercialized the database in October of the same year. In 2001, Altibase changed the name of the in-memory database product from "Spiner" to "Altibase" in 2001. In 2004, Altibase integrated the in-memory database with a disk-resident database to create a hybrid DBMS, released version 4.0 and renamed it as ALTIBASE HDB. Altibase released version 5.5.1 and 6.1.1 in 2012, version 6.3.1 in November 2013, and 6.5.1 in May 2015. Altibase claims that this is the world's first hybrid DBMS.
Tools and Utilities
- Adapter for Oracle
- For copying data that have been modified in ALTIBASE HDB to an Oracle database.
- A tool for resolving replication conflicts
- For monitoring the database server process and executing a script if it has terminated
- For downloading and uploading table data. Typically used during database migration tasks.
- A command-line utility for executing SQL statements
- Migration Center
- A GUI tool for migrating data from other database products to ALTIBASE HDB
- Replication Manager
- A GUI tool for simplifying replication management tasks
- A utility that detects node failures in a distributed database environment and enables the DBA to counter failures.
- Hadoop Connector
- A utility that enables the efficient transfer of data between Apache Hadoop and ALTIBASE servers. It also allows ALTIBASE to handle data management and Hadoop to handle data analysis.
Application Development Interfaces
ALTIBASE HDB includes the following application development interfaces:
- ODBC (Open Database Connectivity)
- For connecting to ALTIBASE HDB via JDBC
- For integrating PHP pages with ALTIBASE HDB via ODBC
- A Perl DBD (Database Driver)
- .NET Data Provider
- For connecting to ALTIBASE HDB via applications based on the Microsoft .NET Framework
- OLE DB Driver
- For connecting to ALTIBASE HDB via the OLE DB interface
- X/Open XA Interface
- For integrating ALTIBASE HDB in a distributed transaction environment
- iLoader API
- An API for the bundled iLoader utility
- CheckServer API
- An API for the bundled CheckServer utility
- "History for PatchNotes/kor - ALTIBASE/Documents". github.com. Retrieved 2021-03-25.
- "Administrator's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- Kim, Sang-Bum (12 November 2003). "SW 플랫폼 시장의 새로운 기대주 알티베이스". inews24.com (in Korean).
- Park, Hee-Bum (16 October 2002). "[IT테크노마트 2002]기술이전 성공사례". Electronic Times Internet.
- Shin, Hye-Sun (31 March 2003). "알티베이스, 메인메모리DB 새 버전 출시". Electronic Times Internet (in Korean).
- Lee, Eun-Yong (7 October 2003). "알티베이스, 중국 MMDBMS 시장 진출". Electronic Times Internet.
- Choi, Sung Hoon (2 November 2004). "국내업체, 하이브리드DB 세계 첫 개발". CBS Interactive, Inc. (in Korean).
- Cho, Sung-Hoon (January 24, 2005). "알티베이스, 차이나유니콤에 MMDBMS 공급". DigitalTimes (in Korean).
- Chung, Jin Ok (February 16, 2005). "대만 증권사에 알티베이스 MMDBMS 진출". CBS Interactive Inc.
- Yoon, Sung Gyu (12 September 2005). "알티베이스, 'ALTIBASE 4' GS 인증 획득". 디지털데일리.
- Han, Jung-Hoon (7 April 2006). "[신소프트웨어상품대수상작]3월 수상작". Electronic Times Internet.
- Kang, Dong-Sik. "알티베이스, 증권시장 90% 점유 국산 DBMS 강자 (Altibase, Korean database powerhouse, occupies 90% of domestic securities database market)" Digital Times February 6, 2011. Last retrieved on August 7, 2012.
- Chung, Gyung-Mi (January 26, 2011). "알티베이스, DBMS 신규버전 발표". IT Today.
- Kim, Tae-Hyoung (December 9, 2011). "알티베이스, 2011 대한민국기술대상 특별상 수상". Boan News.
- Sung, Hyun-Hee (July 12, 2011). "알티베이스, 전문가 양성위한 교육센터 확대 개편". etnews.
- .Kim, Su Yeon (April 12, 2012). "알티베이스 'HDB 제타로 빅데이터 라인업 스타트'". iNews 24.
- Kim, Bong Yeon (June 13, 2013). "알티베이스, '알티베이스 XDB' 출시…"기존 제품 대비 10배 성능'". eNews Today.
- Kim, Bong Yeon (April 26, 2013). "㈜알티베이스, 고객지원서비스관리 'ISO20000' 인증 획득". eNews Today.
- Edjlali, Roxane; Zaidi, Ehtisham; Feinberg, Donald (December 9, 2014). "Market Guide for In-Memory DBMS". Gartner Inc.
- Choi, Donna. "Altibase, the Top Data Performance Solutions Provider" Archived 2014-01-16 at the Wayback Machine Advanced Technology Korea. June 1, 2012. Retrieved on June 24, 2012.
- Chun Go-eun. "Fastest, Most Efficient Databases Imaginable with Altibase" Korea IT Times Friday, August 26th, 2011. Last retrieved on June 24, 2012.
- Lee, Sang-Il. "일본 IT시장, 새로운 먹거리로 떠오르나? (The IT industry in Japan: a promising new market?)" Digital Daily. May 31, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2012.
- 에드몬드 (Edmund). "알티베이스, 일본 증권사에 하이브리드 DBMS 공급 (Altibase provides DBMS for Japanese Securities Companies)" Daily Grid. November 5, 2010. Retrieved on July 25, 2012.
- Kim, Kuk-bae. "글로벌 '성공신화' 꿈꾸는 국내SW 기업들 (Korean Software Companies with Global Aspirations)" inews24 July 1, 2012. Retrieved on July 25, 2012.
- Park, Hee-Bom. "기술이전 성공사례 (Technology Transfer Success Story)" etnews October 16, 2002. Last retrieved on August 7, 2012.
- "주목 e기업 – 알티베이스 (Noteworthy e-Business: Altibase)" Digital Times February 7, 2011. Last retrieved on August 7, 2012.
- "About Altibase". Altibase. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Release Notes".
- "Adapter for Oracle User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Audit User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- "Utilities Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "iLoader User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "iSQL User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Migration Center User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- "Replication Manager User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Hearbeat User's Guide". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Hadoop Connector User's Guide". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Application Program Interface User's Manual". Altibase Corporation. Retrieved July 25, 2012.