|Private, Open source|
|Genre||Database Management System|
|Founded||November 26, 1999|
|Services||In-Memory Database & Hybrid Database|
Altibase is an enterprise grade, high performance and relational open source database, headquartered in Seoul, South Korea and New York, the U.S.A. Altibase scales vertically and horizontally via auto-extend in-memory tables and sharding, respectively.
Altibase went open source in February, 2018.
Altibase is enterprise grade. Since 1999, Altibase has served over 600 enterprise clients including 8 Fortune Global 500 companies. Its major clients include Samsung, HP, Hyundai, China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, E*TRADE, Toshiba Medical and various world-renowned finance companies. Altibase has been deployed in over 6000 use cases in industries ranging from telecommunications, finance, manufacturing and public service.
Altibase is an in-memory database. Since 1999, Altibase has pioneered the in-memory database space. Altibase has helped its clients with high performing database technologies that are mandatory for extremely demanding use cases such as billing and authentication for mega telecom companies and other applications for manufacturing and finance companies with very high throughput requirements.
Altibase is a hybrid database. Altibase was the first company in the world to develop and commercialize a hybrid database back in 2005. Altibase's hybrid architecture allows for utilization of memory tables for high performance and disk tables for economical storage in a single unified engine. As a result, data can be stored and manipulated in main memory alone, on physical disk alone or a combination of both. Consequently, Altibase eliminates the need to purchase an in-memory database and an on-disk database separately.
Altibase is relational and ACID and SQL compliant. Thus, Altibase can replace or interoperate with Oracle and other legacy databases. In addition, migration from other legacy databases to Altibase is exponentially less complex.
Altibase is currently among a very small subset of relational databases that provide sharding. In 2014, Altibase developed its scale-out technology, sharding. Since then, it has been adopted by various multi-national companies. Altibase's sharding is unique in that it is designed to allow for linear performance enhancement with almost no coordinator-related bottlenecks no matter how many servers are added. Another significant advantage of Altibase’s sharding is that it does not require any changes to existing applications in order to implement Altibase if users' systems are built on relational databases. Consequently, existing DBAs will find it easy to learn, adopt and administrate Altibase when they opt to scale out their systems with Altibase.
From 1991 through 1997 the Mr.RT project was an in-memory database research project, conducted by the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute a government-funded research organization in South Korea. Altibase was incorporated in 1999. Released The first version, called Spiner, was released in 2000 for commercial use. It surpassed half of the in-memory DBMS market share in South Korea. In 2002 the second version was released renamed to Altibase v2.0. By 2003, Altibase v3.0 was released and it entered the Chinese market. Released version 4.0 with hybrid architecture, combining RAM and disk databases, was released in 2004.
In 2005 Altibase began working with Chinese telecommunications providers for billing systems, and Twainese financial companies for home trading systems. The software was certified by the Telecommunications Technology Association. The Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs gave it an award in 2006. Offices in China and United States opened in 2009.
In 2011, version 5.5.1 was renamed it to HDB (for "hybrid database"). The Altibase Data Stream product for complex event processing was renamed DSM. The product received a Korean technology award. Altibase introduced certification services. In 2012, HDB Zeta and Extreme were announced, and DSM renamed to CEP
According to marketing research, Altibase had 650 customers and thousands of installations.
Altibase's clients in the telecommunications, financial services, manufacturing, and utilities sectors include Bloomberg, LG U+, E*TRADE, HP, UAT Inc., SK Telecom, KT Corporation (formerly Korea Telecom), Hyundai Securities, Samsung Electronics, Shinhan Bank, Woori Bank, The South Korean Ministry of Defense, G-Market, and Chung-Ang University.
- Donald Feinberg; Merv Adrian; Nick Heudecker; Adam M. Ronthal; Terilyn Palanca (October 12, 2015). "Magic Quadrant for Operational Database Management Systems". Gartner, Inc.: 5–6.
- Kim, Sang-Bum (12 November 2003). "SW 플랫폼 시장의 새로운 기대주 알티베이스". inews24.com (in Korean).
- Park, Hee-Bum (16 October 2002). "[IT테크노마트 2002]기술이전 성공사례". Electronic Times Internet.
- Shin, Hye-Sun (31 March 2003). "알티베이스, 메인메모리DB 새 버전 출시". Electronic Times Internet (in Korean).
- Lee, Eun-Yong (7 October 2003). "알티베이스, 중국 MMDBMS 시장 진출". Electronic Times Internet.
- Choi, Sung Hoon (2 November 2004). "국내업체, 하이브리드DB 세계 첫 개발". CBS Interactive, Inc. (in Korean).
- Cho, Sung-Hoon (January 24, 2005). "알티베이스, 차이나유니콤에 MMDBMS 공급". DigitalTimes (in Korean).
- Chung, Jin Ok (February 16, 2005). "대만 증권사에 알티베이스 MMDBMS 진출". CBS Interactive Inc.
- Yoon, Sung Gyu (12 September 2005). "알티베이스, 'ALTIBASE 4' GS 인증 획득". 디지털데일리.
- Han, Jung-Hoon (7 April 2006). "[신소프트웨어상품대수상작]3월 수상작". Electronic Times Internet.
- Kang, Dong-Sik. "알티베이스, 증권시장 90% 점유 국산 DBMS 강자 (Altibase, Korean database powerhouse, occupies 90% of domestic securities database market)" Digital Times February 6, 2011. Last retrieved on August 7, 2012.
- Chung, Gyung-Mi (January 26, 2011). "알티베이스, DBMS 신규버전 발표". IT Today.
- Kim, Tae-Hyoung (December 9, 2011). "알티베이스, 2011 대한민국기술대상 특별상 수상". Boan News.
- Sung, Hyun-Hee (July 12, 2011). "알티베이스, 전문가 양성위한 교육센터 확대 개편". etnews.
- .Kim, Su Yeon (April 12, 2012). "알티베이스 'HDB 제타로 빅데이터 라인업 스타트'". iNews 24.
- Kim, Bong Yeon (June 13, 2013). "알티베이스, '알티베이스 XDB' 출시…"기존 제품 대비 10배 성능'". eNews Today.
- Kim, Bong Yeon (April 26, 2013). "㈜알티베이스, 고객지원서비스관리 'ISO20000' 인증 획득". eNews Today.
- Edjlali, Roxane; Zaidi, Ehtisham; Feinberg, Donald (December 9, 2014). "Market Guide for In-Memory DBMS". Gartner Inc.
- Choi, Donna. "Altibase, the Top Data Performance Solutions Provider" Advanced Technology Korea. June 1, 2012. Retrieved on June 24, 2012.
- Chun Go-eun. "Fastest, Most Efficient Databases Imaginable with Altibase" Korea IT Times Friday, August 26th, 2011. Last retrieved on June 24, 2012.
- Lee, Sang-Il. "일본 IT시장, 새로운 먹거리로 떠오르나? (The IT industry in Japan: a promising new market?)" Digital Daily. May 31, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2012.
- 에드몬드 (Edmund). "알티베이스, 일본 증권사에 하이브리드 DBMS 공급 (Altibase provides DBMS for Japanese Securities Companies)" Daily Grid. November 5, 2010. Retrieved on July 25, 2012.
- Kim, Kuk-bae. "글로벌 '성공신화' 꿈꾸는 국내SW 기업들 (Korean Software Companies with Global Aspirations)" inews24 July 1, 2012. Retrieved on July 25, 2012.