Altice (company)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Altice NV
Traded as EuronextATC
Industry Telecommunications
Mass media
Founded 2001; 17 years ago (2001)
Headquarters Woerden, Netherlands
Area served
Key people
Patrick Drahi
Dexter Goei
Owner Patrick Drahi
(Controlling Shareholder)
Subsidiaries Altice USA (70.3% equity; 98.3% voting rights)
Altice Dominicana S.A.
Altice Portugal

Altice is a Netherlands-based[1] multinational telecoms company, founded and headed by the Moroccan-born billionaire Patrick Drahi, and the second largest telecoms company in France, behind Orange.

It has a market capitalisation of €13.7 billion (US$16.29 billion), as of December 2017.[2][3] As of 2016, the company has over 50 million internet, TV, and phone customers in Western Europe, the U.S., Israel, and the Caribbean.[4]


Altice bought several telecoms in France from 2002 to 2007, merging them under the brand Numericable.

In November 2013, Orange announced it was selling Orange Dominicana to Altice for $1.4 billion.[5]

In March 2014, it acquired SFR, France's second largest mobile phone and Internet services company, from Vivendi.

In November 2014, France’s competition watchdog approved a deal for Numericable to acquire Virgin Mobile France for €325 million.[6]

In May 2015, Altice acquired a 70% controlling stake in Suddenlink Communications, which valued the seventh-largest US cable company at US$9.1 billion. The other 30% continues to be owned by BC Partners and CPP Investment Board.[7]

In May 2015, Altice was said to be launching a bid for Time Warner Cable, which has a US$45 billion market capitalization, following a failed bid by Comcast.[7] It was instead acquired by Charter Communications.[8]

In June 2015 Altice acquired Portugal Telecom and sold Cabovisão to Apax France.[9]

In June 2015, it was reported that Altice had offered €10 billion for Bouygues Telecom, the third largest telecoms company in France.[10] Bouygues' board refused and as of March 2016, is considering merging with Orange.[11]

On 17 September 2015, it was announced that Altice would acquire Cablevision, a Long Island, New York based cable provider, for US$17.7 billion, including debt.[8][12]

In October 2015, it was announced that backing the Altice purchase of Cablevision, were private equity firm BC Partners and CPPIB.[13]

In December 2016, Altice announced its deal to sell SFR Belux to Telenet for €400 million.[14]

In March 2017, Altice acquired video ad tech firm Teads for US$307 million.[15]

In May 2017, Altice unveiled a new logo and slogan, "Together Has No Limits", and announced that it would unify all of its telecom holdings under the singular Altice brand by mid-2018.[16][17]

In 2017, Altice acquired the Israeli telecommunications company Hot.


  1. ^ "Altice N.V. announces the completion of the cross-border merger" (PDF). Altice (Press release). 10 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015. 
  2. ^ Laurent, Lionel (5 December 2017). "Cable Billionaire Stays In His $59 Billion Comfort Zone". Bloomberg. Retrieved 21 December 2017. 
  3. ^ "Altice shares drop down to new lows". Reuters. 30 November 2017. Retrieved 21 December 2017. 
  4. ^ Lieberman, David (22 June 2017). "Altice USA Shares Rise As It Goes Public On Anniversary Of Cablevision Deal". 
  5. ^ "Orange reached an agreement with Altice for the disposal of Orange Dominicana". Retrieved 10 September 2016. 
  6. ^ "French regulator approves Numericable-Virgin deal" (Press release). Reuters. 27 November 2014. 
  7. ^ a b Smith, Gerry (20 May 2015). "Time Warner Cable Said to Get Takeover Approach From Altice". Bloomberg. Retrieved 21 May 2015. 
  8. ^ a b "Altice to Buy Cablevision for $10 Billion". Wall Street Journal. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2015. 
  9. ^ "Altice finalises acquisition of Portugal Telecom". Agence France-Presse and Business Insider. 2 June 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2015. 
  10. ^ Davidson, Lauren (21 June 2015). "Patrick Drahi eyes Bouygues Telecom for French merger". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 22 June 2015. 
  11. ^ "March is 'go or no go' for Bouygues merger decision: Orange". Retrieved 10 September 2016. 
  12. ^ Ackman, Dan (17 September 2015). "European cable firm Altice to buy Cablevision for $17.7 billion". CNET. Retrieved 7 October 2015. 
  13. ^ "CPPIB and BC Partners Back Altice's Bid for Cablevision". Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015. 
  14. ^ "Altice to sell SFR BeLux to Telenet for 400 million euros" (Press release). Reuters. 22 December 2016. 
  15. ^ "Video ad tech firm Teads to be acquired by Dutch telco Altice for $307 million". Business Insider. Retrieved 21 March 2017. 
  16. ^ "Altice Unveils Unified Global Brand, Strategy". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-11-11. 
  17. ^ "Altice Unveils New Global Brand, Logo". Multichannel News. Retrieved 2017-11-11.