|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Jean-Luc Reitzer|
|Area1||9.54 km2 (3.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||600/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||68004 / 68130|
|Elevation||274–392 m (899–1,286 ft)
(avg. 310 m or 1,020 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Its inhabitants are known as Altkirchois.
The resident population number of 5500 is rather deceptive as some 15,500 people will be in town on a typical working day (4500 working, 3000 studying, 3000 for medical treatment and another 5000 divided between shopping, administrative offices, cultural and sporting activities).
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
- Media related to Altkirch at Wikimedia Commons
- Château d'Altkirch - destroyed castle in the town.
- Communes of the Haut-Rhin department
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Altkirch.|
- Altkirch and Sundgau Community (French)
- Tourism Office of Altkirch (French)
- Altkirch on the Quid site (French)
- Closest communes to Altkirch (French)
- Location of Altkirch on a map of France (French)
- Weather in Haut-Rhin (French)
- Photographic visit to Altkirch (French)
- Rhenish centre for Contemporary Art (French)