This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Irish: Allt Mhic Dhuibhleacháin
|• Derivation:||Alt na nGealbhán|
|• Meaning:||"Glen/height of the sparrows"|
|• Council||Derry and Strabane|
|• Total||118.69 ha (293.30 acres)|
Altnagelvin (from Irish: Alt na nGealbhán, meaning "Glen/height of the sparrows") is a townland in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It is also the name of an electoral ward in Derry and Strabane district. Formerly a small village, it has been absorbed into the Waterside neighbourhood of Derry. Within Altnagelvin is Altnagelvin Area Hospital, a large hospital which serves the most of the county. The busy A6 road from Belfast to Derry passes through the townland.
On Census Day 29 April 2001 the resident population of Altnagelvin ward was 4477. Of these:
- 26.6% were under 16 years old and 11.0% were aged 60 and above 
- 48.3% of the population were male and 51.7% were female 
- 38.0% were from a Roman Catholic background and 59.7% were from a Protestant background 
- 5.2% of those aged 16–74 were unemployed 
- Logainm - Placenames Database of Ireland
- Northern Ireland Roads Site - Derry to Dungiven road
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency. "NIEA Map Viewer". Archived from the original on 24 November 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Placenames NI website".[permanent dead link]
- "Altnagelvin Ward statistics". NINIS. 2007-05-31. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
|This article related to the geography of County Londonderry, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|