Alto International School
|Alto International School|
475 Pope Street|
Menlo Park, California 94024
|School type||Private, independent|
|Sister school||Stiftung Louisenlund, Germany|
|Head of school||Michael Chapman|
|Student to teacher ratio||5.7 : 1|
|Language||English, German, Spanish, French|
|Accreditation||International Baccalaureate, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, DSD Schule (German accreditation)|
Alto International School, a PreK–12 private school in Menlo Park, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area, offers preparatory, multilingual, progressive education, which includes for younger students a German immersion preschool and elementary program.
As an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School since 2007, Alto offers both the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) from Preschool through Grade 5, the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) from Grade 6 through Grade 10, and in 2018 received accreditation for the IB Diploma Programme (DP) in Grades 11 and 12. The school also offers the Deutsches Sprachdiplom Stufe I and II, which entitles foreign students to apply for university entry in Germany.
The school was founded in 1988 as the first German school on the US West Coast and changed its name from German-American International School (GAIS) to Alto International School in September 2016. As of 2016[update] it has 250 students. In August 2018, Alto launched a partnership with Stiftung Louisenlund near Kiel, Germany, to develop joined student programs.
Based on the International Schools' Assessment (ISA) and the PISA test of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Alto students consistently outperform comparable schools worldwide and in 2017 Alto's 9th Grade students tested above the highest ranking schools systems in the world and scored in the top 10% worldwide. In addition, according to the Presidential Honor Roll of the American Association of Teachers of German, students of Alto International School ranked in 2017 and 2018 within the top 3 schools in California and within the top 10 schools nationwide.
In 2017 and 2018 the "Best of the Best" edition of the Bay Area Magazine, Alto International School was awarded Gold and Silver Medals for the best school in the following 6 categories: Preschool, Elementary School, Middle School, High School, International School and Language Immersion Program.
- "Press Release: Alto International School Receives Accreditation for the Prestigious International Baccalaureate Diploma and Announces New Head of School". Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- "The German-American International School (GAIS) Announces Name Change to Alto International School and Launches IB High School in Menlo Park." Alto International School. Retrieved on January 24, 2017.
- School, Alto International. "Alto International School and Louisenlund School Partner to Foster German-American Student Exchanges". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- "Alto High School Students Outperform Highest-ranked School Systems" (PDF).
- "Presidential Honor Roll - American Association of Teachers of German". www.aatg.org. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "Bay Area Parent - Best of the Best 2017, page 77 & 78".
- "Bay Area Parents - Best of the Best 2018, page 66 & 68".
- Alto International School
- German-American International School
- German-American International School at the Wayback Machine (archive index)
|This California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|