||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Rosh Ha'ayin, Israel|
|CEO Giora Levi|
Number of employees
Alvarion Technologies Ltd. is a global telecom company that provides end-to-end wireless solutions such as Wi-Fi, Point-to-Point, and Point-to-Multi-Point. Alvarion Technologies offers a wide range of connectivity products, Alvarion Technologies provides tailored solutions for Smart Cities, stadiums and High-Density Events. Alvarion operates in over 95 countries. In September 2013, Alvarion was acquired by Hani Alami, an Arab hi-tech entrepreneur based in Jerusalem.
Alvarion was originally incorporated as BreezeCOM Ltd. in September, 1992. In March 2000, BreezeCOM had an Initial Public Offering, selling 5 million shares of its common stock at a price of $20 per share. BreezeCOM's shares were listed on the NASDAQ under the symbol BRZE.
In August 2001, BreezeCOM merged with another Israeli company, Floware Wireless Systems Ltd. (NASDAQ: FLRE), which was founded in 1993, changing its name to Alvarion.
In April 2003, Alvarion acquired InnoWave ECI Wireless Systems Ltd, from ECI Telecom. In July 2003, Alvarion signed a strategic partnership agreement with Intel to co-develop WiMAX based Broadband wireless access systems, using Intel’s WiMAX chips.
In December 2004, Alvarion acquired interWAVE Communications International (NASDAQ:IWAV) of Mountain View, California, which expanded the company’s product range into the mobile GSM equipment market and provided new expertise in mobile systems. Most of the interWAVE operations became Alvarion‘s Cellular Mobile business unit, which was sold to LGC Wireless, Inc. in November, 2006.
In November 2009, Alvarion started deploying a WiMAX wireless broadband network for the Australian ISP Adam Internet across metropolitan Adelaide, as a part of Australian government’s Broadband Guarantee Program.
In November 2011, Alvarion acquired Wavion, a provider of outdoor Wi-Fi applications for metro and rural areas with deployments in more than 75 countries. This acquisition is part of Alvarion’s strategic plan for shifting its primary focus from WiMAX-based radio access network to becoming a multi-technology wireless broadband solution provider.
In July 2013, Alvarion filed for bankruptcy.
In September 2013, Alvarion's assets were purchased by Valley Telecom Ltd.
In February 2015, Alvarion laid off a third of its work force due to a change of strategy.
Products and technology
Alvarion was one of the first companies to produce IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN equipment and made a major contribution to the development of the IEEE 802.11 standard. In collaboration with the Swedish Space Corporation and using its own BreezeNET DS.11 product, it also claims to hold a World record of longest Wireless LAN link ever achieved – 310 kilometers (190 mi) from ground to a weather balloon (although it had been heavily amplified, used a huge dish antenna, and had an automatic tracking system). This record is not found in The Guinness Book of Records, however.
In November 2010, Alvarion was chosen by the telecommunication company 4G Africa to deploy 4G network in Cameroon. 4G Africa has the main goal to reduce digital divide by providing selected Sub-Sahara countries with the newly established 4G technology.
Wireless communications company ArrayComm announced the commercial availability of base stations from Alvarion using ArrayComm advanced beamforming software. ArrayComm officials said "using this technology, operators are able to see substantial improvement in system capacity, throughput, and range-yielding greater revenue from the investment in wireless infrastructure".
Alvarion announced it would supply base stations and related services to India cell phone carrier Bharat Sanchar Nigam for a 4G wireless broadband network. Alvarion president and CEO Eran Gorev said "India has significant potential for wireless broadband, and this agreement further enhances our presence in the country." The project is worth an estimated $10 million.
Municipal officials in Houston selected Alvarion to deploy a citywide 4G network. According to city authorities, the network will improve traffic safety and congestion through remote control of 2500 traffic intersections and 1500 school zone flashers. Alvaron's WiMax network will also remotely monitor 500,000 water meters, reducing costs and improving customer service. The agreement includes free access to the 4G network for more than 300,000 residents in underserved, underprivileged communities.
In Oct 2010 Alvarion announced a 75 million dollar deployment in Canada working with Xplornet Communications deploying 4Motion base stations, NMS and services to provide rural Broadband throughout the Country.
In May 2011, Alvarion launched 4G mobile networks in Mozambique and Uganda. The network will provide broadband connectivity to residential and business users as well as local municipalities. According to CEO Eran Gorev, Alvarion operates over 70 commercial 4G deployments in Africa.
In June 2011, Winncom Technologies, a distributor of wireless broadband networking equipment and accessories, announced that it has extended its distribution agreement with Alvarion to cover the Eastern European, Russian, and CIS regions.
In June 2011, Dimension Data Holdings announced a partnership with Alvarion. Nicholas Shaw, general manager of Dimension's Advanced Infrastructure, said Alvarion would bring connectivity to sites that fall outside of commercial networks or where fibre was not an option.
In July 2011, Bandera Electric Cooperative announced it would deploy a 4G network from Alvarion to linemen and technical service personnel operating utility truck. The network will provide real-time information of the electric grid for BEC vehicles.
In May 2012, a WiMAX network delivered by Alvarion to wireless broadband provider Skyline in Randers, Denmark, went bankrupt and was consequently closed down on June 30.
Countries operating Alvarion equipment
- Czech republic
- Papua New Guinea
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- United Kingdom
- United States
- "Alvarion laying off about a third of its employees". Archived from the original on 10 February 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-16.
- "IDG Connect The Palestinian Networker Who Bought an Israeli Company". idgconnect.com.
- BNET (March 23, 2000), "BreezeCOM IPO Priced At $20 Per Share; To Begin Trading on NASDAQ Under Symbol BRZE", CBS Business Network
- Shapiro, Ahron (April 10, 2001), "BreezeCOM Merges With Floware", Wi-Fi Planet
- "Alvarion and Intel Sign Strategic Agreement to Develop WiMAX-Certified Broadband Wireless Access systems", Business Wire, July 9, 2003
- Narain, Divya (November 12, 2009), "Alvarion to Deploy WiMAX Network in Adelaide", TMCnet
- "Alvarion buys WiFi co Wavion for $30m". Globes. 2 November 2011.
- Smadja, Ruthy (February 22, 2013). "Telrad Networks Announces Acquisition of Alvarion’s BWA Division". Telrad Networks. Telrad Networks. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "'Alvarion Finally Files for Bankruptcy'". 15 July 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Alvarion (in Receivership) Provides Update on Status of Receivership". FierceWirelessTech. Alvarion. September 24, 2013. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "Alvarion laying off about a third of its employees" (in Hebrew). February 10, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "Page Error". alvarion.com.
- WebHorus. "newswireless.net .:. News .:. World WiFi distance record -310 km - …". newswireless.net.
- Miron, David (March 25, 2010). "Alvarion Brings Wireless Broadband to 90 Cities in Brazil". TheWadi.
- "YooMee Africa - Closing the Digital Divide". 4gafrica.com.
- "Mobile Data Offloading - Alvarion". alvarion.com.
- "Alvarion's base stations using ArrayComm's advanced beamforming software". eeherald.com.
- "City Of Houston Deploys Alvarion 4G Wireless Broadband Network For Advanced Municipal Services". wateronline.com.
- "Houston taps Alvarion for municipal wifi". civsourceonline.com.
- Samantha Watt. "Alvarion, Barrett Xplore sign multi-year agreement valued at over $75m to deploy 4G network across Canada". ITWeb Technology News.
- "Winncom and Alvarion Sign Distribution Agreement for Eastern Europe". Marketwire. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Dimension Data aligns with Alvarion". Business Live. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Bandera Electric deploys Alvarion 4G network for mobile workforce, customer benefits". FierceEnergy.
- "Bloosurf ISP Selects Alvarion® Solution for Rural Wireless Broadband Network in Maryland - EON: Enhanced Online News". businesswire.com.
- "www.skyline.dk". skyline.dk.
- Alvarion Showcases4G WiMAX Infrastructure and Smart Grid Connectivity Solutions at UTC Telecom 2010 in Indianapoli s
- Alvarion appoints CEO, to hire new employees