Alveley Halt railway station
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|1944||Station opens as Alveley Colliery Sidings|
|Unknown Date||Station renamed Alveley Colliery Halt|
|by June 1954||Station renamed Alveley Halt|
|9 September 1963||Station closes|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Alveley Halt was a halt on the original Severn Valley Line, situated between the villages of Highley and Alveley, in the English county of Shropshire. The station, not used by the reopened heritage Severn Valley Railway, has been replaced by the adjacent Country Park Halt on that line.
Ownership of the halt passed from the Great Western Railway to the Western Region of British Railways during the nationalisation of 1948. The Severn Valley Railway between Shrewsbury and Bewdley was closed to passenger and through goods traffic by the British Transport Commission in 1963. However the line from Alveley Colliery southwards, which included the halt, remained open for coal traffic until the Colliery closed in January 1969.
The site today
In summer 1973, during preparations for the 1974 re-opening of the line between Hampton Loade and Bewdley by the heritage Severn Valley Railway, the platform face was found to be collapsing towards the line, so the halt was demolished. The heritage trains of the Severn Valley Railway pass the site near Country Park Halt between the stations at Highley and Hampton Loade.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Hampton Loade||Severn Valley Railway
Station replaced by
Country Park Halt
- Shropshire History, ‘’Alveley Colliery’’ (Retrieved 4 June 2016)
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2007). Country Railway Routes, Kidderminster to Shrewsbury. Midhurst: Middleton Press. ISBN 978-1-906008-10-9.
- Marshall, John (1989). The Severn Valley Railway. Newton Abbot: David St John Thomas. ISBN 0-946537-45-3.
- SVR News Issue 29
- Station on navigable O.S. map North of Highley near Alveley Village
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
|This article about a Shropshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|