His first job was in a theatrical fabric house, he also worked on painting scenery during the summer. On the Town was the first Broadway show he worked on in 1944. His major Broadway credits include Guys and Dolls, Top Banana, Fanny, Finian's Rainbow, Six Characters in Search of an Author, Destry Rides Again, Wildcat, Here's Love, The Crucible, The Goodbye People, Sugar, Lorelei, Jerome Robbins' Broadway and Waiting in the Wings for producer Alexander H. Cohen, with whom he had a long working relationship. Alvin won a Tony Award in 1955 for Pipe Dream. The last official show he worked on was in 2001 for If you ever leave me...I'm going with you!
Mr. Colt also designed for TV and film. Among his screen credits are costume designs for the films Top Banana, Stiletto and Li'l Abner and for the TV productions of The Enchanted Nutcracker, Kiss Me Kate, The Adams Chronicles, CBS: On the Air, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood and many years of the Tony Awards. Alvin also designed the children's musical Treehouse Trolls Birthday Day for Goodtimes Entertainment.
In 2007 the Museum of the City of New York offered the exhibition "Costumes and Characters: The Designs of Alvin Colt," and the Museum is now the home of many of his costume sketches.
Colt died of natural causes on May 4, 2008 in New York City.
- Broadway Beat - The Theatre Hall of Fame Awards by Richard Ridge
- "Hall of Fame inducts ensemble of stage pioneers among friends". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- Andrew Gans; Robert Simonson (May 4, 2008). "Alvin Colt, Tony-Winning Costume Designer, Dead at 92". Playbill. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- Michael Kuchwara (May 4, 2008). "Alvin Colt, Broadway costume designer, dies at 92". The Associated Press. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- Alvin Colt at the Internet Broadway Database
- Alvin Colt at the Internet Movie Database
- Alvin Colt designs, 1935-1990, held by the Billy Rose Theatre Division, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
|This theatrical biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|