Alvin Community College
Alvin Community College A Building
|Type||Public, two-year community college|
|Established||1948 (as Alvin Junior College)|
|President||Dr. Christal Albrecht|
|Dean||Dr. Cynthia Griffith, Vice President of Instruction|
|Location||Alvin, Texas, United States
Alvin Community College (ACC) is a community college in Brazoria County in the U.S. state of Texas. Alvin Community College provides educational opportunities in workforce training, academics, technical fields, adult basic education, and personal development.
- all territory within the Alvin, Danbury, and Pearland school districts, and
- that portion of the Angleton Independent School District annexed by ACC prior to September 1, 1995.
Alvin Community College offers a wide variety of career programs and majors that lead directly to the job market. ACC offers degrees in Associate of Applied Science (AAS), Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS), as well as many certificate programs. ACC participates in the Texas Common Course Numbering System, or TCCNS, a voluntary cooperative effort by many Texas colleges and universities to create a standard set of course designations for transfer students at the freshman and sophomore level. This allows students to take classes which will transfer to a university. ACC Department of Continuing Education and Workforce Development also offers a variety of programs that allow students to further or begin new careers in a number of fields including health care, professional services, industrial arts and more.
ACC's main campus is located at 3110 Mustang Road in Alvin. In addition, a museum devoted to the baseball career of Alvin's most famous resident, Nolan Ryan, is located on the ACC main campus. Ryan studied at ACC, then known as Alvin Junior College, during a few off-seasons early in his career.
ACC opened a Pearland College Center in 1998 and offered college courses at this location for 15 years. In the spring of 2013, ACC officials announced that the Pearland College Center would close by June and that the center would be sold. The move was prompted by decreasing enrollment figures at the center and by new agreements that had been established with Turner College and Career High School in Pearland Independent School District.
- Alvin Community College Website. "Alvin Community College Accreditation".
- Texas Education Code, Section 130.163, "Alvin Community College District Service Area".
- Alvin Community College Website. "Alvin Community College Degree and Certificate Programs".
- Alvin Community College CEWD Website. "Alvin Community College CEWD".
- Walter Bingham (June 1, 1970). "Say It Again, Rube!". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- Quick, Mark A. (March 5, 2013). "Alvin Community College to sell its center in Pearland". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- McCutcheon, Michael; Barone, Chuck (2013). 2014 Almanac of American Politics. The University of Chicago Press.