Alvin High School
|Alvin High School|
|802 S Johnson St, Alvin, TX 77511
|School district||Alvin ISD|
|Principal||Johnny Briseño, Ed.D.|
|Grades||9 through 12|
|Website||Alvin High School|
Alvin High School, which serves grades 9 through 12, is a part of the Alvin Independent School District.
Alvin High School opened in 1894, with its first graduating class graduating in 1897. Alvin High School gained more residents as many school districts consolidated into Alvin ISD .
Alvin High School was Alvin ISD's only high school until Manvel High School opened in fall 2006 with 9th and 10th grades, phasing in 11th and 12th grades in the following two years.
After the annexation of several school districts, ending with the Manvel Independent School District in 1973, Alvin High School served the city of Manvel, the town of Iowa Colony, portions of the city of Pearland (including the Brazoria County portion of Shadow Creek Ranch), and additional portions of unincorporated Brazoria County (including Rosharon) until the opening of Manvel High School .
Alvin ISD, since 2000, required its students to adhere to a strict dress code. 300 students walked out of class on January 28, 1999 to protest the dress code; 120 of them faced arrest and were charged with disrupting classes. One student requested a jury trial and had his charges dropped. Other students received probation and community service.
Communities served by Alvin High School
Alvin ISD requires all students to wear standardized dress, which is similar to a school uniform.
- Nathan Eovaldi (class of 2008), pitcher, drafted by the Dodgers in senior year
- Nolan Ryan (class of 1965), pitcher, held Alvin High School strikeout record for 44 years
- Reid Ryan, pitcher, President of Business Operations for the Houston Astros organization
- Austin Miller (class of 1994), actor, singer and dancer
- Hung, Melissa. "Mystery Code." Houston Press. March 8, 2001. 1.
- McTaggart, Brian (May 16, 2013). "Source: Reid Ryan to be named president of Astros". MLB.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.