This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Crew||2 + 12|
|Engine||Perkins 6-litre, 6-cylinder diesel|
250 hp (186 kW)
|Transmission||David Brown TN15D|
|400 miles, 650 km|
|Maximum speed||50 mph, 80 km/h|
The Alvis Stormer is a modern military armoured vehicle manufactured by the British company Alvis Vickers, now BAE Systems Land & Armaments. The Stormer is a development of the CVR(T) family of vehicles (Scorpion, Scimitar, Spartan etc.), essentially a larger, modernised version with an extra road-wheel on each side.
Like most modern AFVs, Stormer can be produced in several different configurations for different battlefield roles. It is marketed by BAE as being fitted with many combinations, such as a two-person turret armed with a 25 mm cannon; air defence (with guns or missiles); engineer vehicle; recovery vehicle; ambulance; mine layer; 81 mm or 120 mm mortar carrier; command and control vehicle; bridge layer; and a logistics vehicle. Optional equipment includes a nuclear-biological-chemical protection system, an amphibious kit, passive night-vision equipment, and an air-conditioning system.
Specific types are:
The British Army use Stormer equipped with HVM (Starstreak & Lightweight Multirole Missile) for short range air defence. Under Army 2020, Stormer HVM was to equip three regular and two reserve artillery batteries. The reserve batteries have since all been converted to HVM LML to reduce the training burden.
Flat bed Stormer
A transport version of the Stormer with a flat load bed is used to carry the Shielder minelaying system.
Stormer 30 is a development of the Stormer chassis to give a tracked reconnaissance vehicle. It is a turreted version of the Stormer. Armed with a 30 mm Bushmaster II automatic cannon, and with the option of a TOW missile launcher that can be fitted to either turret side. The cannon and turret can traverse through 360° and the elevation is from -45° to +60°. The rate of fire of the cannon is from single shot to a maximum of 200 rounds per minute. The cannon has a double selection ammunition feed system with 180 rounds of ammunition ready to fire.
The vehicle remains in the prototype stage and it is unclear when it will enter service. The vehicle will be fully air transportable by C-130 Hercules used by the Royal Air Force aircraft as well as large CH-53 currently in service with NATO allies and other nations across the world.
Stormer Air Defence
- Crew: 3 + 8
- Armament: 1 x 7.62 mm machine gun standard but depends upon version
- Engine: Perkins T6.3544 six-cylinder diesel
- Length: 5.27 m (17 ft 3 in)
- Width: 2.4 m (7 ft 10 in)
- Height: 2.27 m (7 ft 5 in)
- Max speed: 80 km/h
- Range: 650 km
In popular culture
- A flat bed Stormer was used by Lucasfilm to serve as the basis for the fictional TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tank seen in the movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
- The Stormer HVM appears in the game Project Reality (PRFB2) with the British Army Project Reality.
- "Force Troops Command Overview". Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "The Eighties". Think Defence. Archived from the original on 11 May 2019. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "Stormer". Jane's Information Group Light Armoured Vehicles. Archived from the original on 3 December 2008. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alvis Stormer.|