Location of Alvordton, Ohio
Detailed map of Alvordton
|• Total||0.25 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|• Land||0.25 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||860 ft (262 m)|
|• Density||1,183.6/sq mi (457.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064318|
Alvordton is a former village in central Mill Creek Township, Williams County, Ohio, United States. The population was 305 at the 2000 census. In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau listed Alvordton as a census-designated place.
On August 7, 2007 voters overwhelmingly approved a measure to dissolve the village.
Alvordton is located at (41.665177, -84.435265).
According to the 2010 census, the CDP has a total area of 0.25 square miles (0.65 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 305 people, 102 households, and 72 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,183.6 people per square mile (452.9/km²). There were 115 housing units at an average density of 446.3 per square mile (170.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 94.43% White, 1.31% African American, 0.98% Native American, 1.64% from other races, and 1.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.61% of the population.
There were 102 households out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.0% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.4% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the village the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 11.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 119.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 121.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $43,375. Males had a median income of $25,000 versus $19,205 for females. The per capita income for the village was $16,525. About 8.4% of families and 11.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under the age of eighteen and 14.7% of those sixty five or over.
School-aged students in Alvordton attend school in the Millcreek-West Unity School District in nearby West Unity.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Alvordton, Ohio
- Allison, Don (May 7, 2003). "Alvordton is named after its founder". The Bryan Times. p. 6. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Area voters OK fire levy, reject funds for schools, The Blade, 2007-08-08. Accessed 2007-09-04.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places - Ohio". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.