|District of Rajasthan|
Location of Alwar district in Rajasthan
|Tehsils||Alwar, Bansur, Behror, Govindgarh, Kathumar, Kishangarh Bas, Kotkasim, Laxmangarh, Mundawar, Rajgarh, Ramgarh, Thanagazi, Tijara, Neemrana, Reni, Malakhera|
Alwar District is a district in Rajasthan, a state in northern India, with capital in the city of Alwar. The district covers 8,380 km2. It is bound on the north by Rewari district of Haryana, on the east by Bharatpur and Mewat district of Haryana, on the south by Dausa, and on the west by Jaipur districts.
The district has industrial estates such as Alwar, Bhiwadi, Shahjahanpur, Neemrana, Behror where companies such as G. S. Pharmbutor, Ashok Leyland, Pepsi, Parryware, Kajaria Ceramics and Honda Motors have manufacturing plants.
Alwar has an important place in Agriculture production in Rajasthan. Total geographical area of the district is 7,83,281 hectares which is about 2.5 per cent of the State. In 2010–2011 the net cultivated area is 5,07,171 hecters from which about 83 per cent area viz. – 4,51,546 is irrigated and remaining 17 per cent area viz. – 82,903 is unirrigated. Double cropped area is 252 hectares of which 32,230 hecter (12%) area is irrigated and remaining 2,19,819 hecter (88%) area is unirrigated. Thus, the total cropped area of the district is 8,12,873 hecters. In Kharif season Bajra, Maize, Jowar, Kharif pulses, Arhar, Sesamum, Cotton, Guar etc. are sown in about 3,29,088 hectare (42%) and in Rabi season Wheat, Barley, Gram, Mustard, Taramira, Rabi pulses etc. are sown in about 4,52,527 hectare (58%). The main source of irrigation are wells and Tube Wells. By 26064 Tube Wells about 192861 hectare area is being irrigated and by 57196 Wells about 265169 hectares area is irrigated. By other sources like canals, tanks about 404 hectares area is irrigated. About 35470 electric motors and 66502 Diesel pump sets are being used for Irrigation purposes. The normal rainfall for the district is 657.3 mm. The average rainfall in last ten years in the district is 724 mm. The rainfall distribution in the district is uneven and scattered which resulted some times flood problems and some time draught position which affect the Agriculture production as well as cropping pattern in Kharif & Rabi season. Thus, the Agriculture in the district by and large depends on rainfall distribution. The average rainfall in 2016 up to September is 217 mm.
Places of interest
Bala Qilla (Alwar fort) situated in the Aravali Hills is one of the best forts present in Rajasthan. It is said that it has never been invaded or conquered by any king. Just behind it is the Nikumbh Mahal. There are many small palaces in the city and an old museum with a collection of paintings, armours, and old weapons.
Neelkanth temple is an old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, built between the 6th to the 9th century.
Bhangarh Haunted Fort
Banghar Fort is a haunted fort and the Archaeological Survey of India has put up a board on the fort gate that it is prohibited for tourists to stay inside the fort area after sunset and before sunrise. This fort has become a major tourist attraction.
This Royal Rao Haveli (300 years old), Nizam Nagar (Laxmangarh) is only 25 km from Kesroli fort, Agara-Delhi Road. Ruled & established by H.H.Rao Bhero Singh (Riyastdar), who was the Relative of H.H Yashwant Singh, the king Of Alwar.
According to the 2011 census Alwar district has a population of 3,671,999, roughly equal to the nation of Liberia or the US state of Oklahoma. This gives it a ranking of 77th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 438 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,130/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 22.7%. Alwar has a sex ratio of 894 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 71.68%.
National Highway NH8 (Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Ahmedabad-Bombay highway) passes through the Behror district. Alwar district is reached from New Delhi by NH8 or by Gurgaon-Sohna-Alwar highway that is being widened to six lanes.
Delhi-Jaipur railway line also passes through the district. Alwar city railway station is one of the railway stations in the district.
How to reach
The nearest airport to Alwar is Delhi Airport is 143 km away. Alwar can be easily reached by road as well. There are well-maintained roads linking it to tourism destinations like Delhi, Sariska, Bharatpur, Deeg and Jaipur. The railway network connects Alwar with Delhi, Jodhpur, Mumbai and other important tourist cities of India.
Bhangarh is 90 km far from jaipur
Rivers in Alwar
Alwar district does not have any perennial river. It has seasonal streams that carry water during rains. They are the Sahibi River at Sodawas and the Arvari River. Several small check dams have been built on these streams to collect rainwater.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Welcome to Alwar, The Gateway of Rajastan > Administrative Setup Of Alwar District". Alwar.nic.in. Archived from the original on 6 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-07.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Liberia 3,786,764 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alwar district.|