Always (Aysel and Arash song)
|Single by Aysel & Arash|
|from the album Donya|
|Format||Digital single, CD single|
|Label||Warner Music Sweden|
|Writer(s)||composer: Arash Labaf, Robert Uhlmann, Johan Bejerholm, Marcus Englof, Alex Papaconstantinou
Lyricist: Arash Labaf, Robert Uhlmann, Elin Wrethov, Anderz Wrethov
"Always" is a song by Azerbaijani singer Aysel Teymurzadeh (performing as AySel) and Swedish-Iranian singersongwriter Arash. It was the Azerbaijani entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 2009. The song was selected by Ictimai TV (İTV), the Azerbaijani broadcaster, among the 30 songs submitted to the broadcaster in an open call. The song was composed by a group of songwriters including Arash.
The video clip for the song was directed by Swedish director Fredrik Boklund and premiered on Ictimai TV on 24 April 2009. Boklund described the video as "visual rendition of the performers' emotions and feelings." It notably featured tar, a traditional Azeri musical instrument. Likewise the instrument briefly appeared on stage in Arash's hands during the live performance of "Always" at Eurovision.
AySel & Arash performed 12th in the second Eurovision semi-final on 14 May, following Hungary's Zoli Ádok with "Dance with Me" and preceding Greece's Sakis Rouvas with "This Is Our Night". The duo received 180 points, placing second behind Norway's Alexander Rybak, and proceeding to the final.
At the final the duo performed 11th in the draw, following Russia's Anastasiya Prikhodko with "Mamo" and preceding Bosnia and Herzegovina's Regina with "Bistra voda". They received 207 points, placing 3rd behind Norway's Alexander Rybak and Iceland's Yohanna.
"Always" is Azerbaijan's first top 3 placing.
By July 21, 2013, the preview videoclip for "Always" had been played on YouTube over 18 million times.
|Czech Republic Airplay Chart||40|
|European Hot 100 Singles||92|
|German Singles Chart||96|
|Greek Billboard Singles Chart||2|
|Hungarian Airplay Chart||40|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||18|
|Slovakian Airplay Chart||47|
|Swedish Singles Chart||3|
|Swiss Singles Chart||98|
|Turkish Singles Chart||18|
|Ukrainian Airplay Chart||4|
|UK Singles Chart||137|
- Turkish – Digital single
- "Always" (Single Version) – 3:03
- "Always" (Ali Payami Remix) – 4:09
- "Azerbaijan: Aysel goes to Eurovision with song by Arash". ESCToday. 2009-02-05.
- Brey, Marco (2009-02-05). "Azerbaijani entry written by Arash". Eurovision.tv. Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-05.
- (Russian) Videoclip Always from Azerbaijani Eurovision Contestants. RIA Novosti. 24 April 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- AySel and Arash top YouTube video views. ESCtoday. 23 December 2009. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- Farid Alyyev. "Always" Is One of the Most Selling Songs in CIS. 1news.az. 18 January 2010.
- Czech IFPI Singles Chart Retrieved on 2009-12-07
- Billboard European Hot 100 Singles
- German Singles Chart Retrieved on 2009-06-06
- Mahasz Hungarian Airplay Chart, Week 20 Retrieved 28 May 2010
- Norwegian Singles Chart
- Slovakian IFPI Singles Chart
- Swedish Singles Chart
- Swiss Singles Chart
- Ukrainian Airplay Chart Archived 11 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 2009-06-01
- UK Singles Chart
- Turkish Digital Single