Alwyn Williams (bishop)
He was educated at Rossall School and then went up to Jesus College, Oxford, where he had a remarkable career. He was a Scholar of his college and took a Triple First in Classical Moderations (1908), Greats (1910), and Modern History (1911), having won the Gladstone Historical Essay in 1909. He was elected a Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford for the period 1911–18.
He was ordained deacon in 1913 and priest in 1914 and soon moved to Winchester College, where he was Assistant Master (1915–16), Second Master (1916–24), and Headmaster (1924–34), having meanwhile been appointed an Honorary Canon of Winchester Cathedral in 1928 and Chaplain to King George V in 1931, both of which he gave up in 1934, when he was then appointed Dean of Christ Church, Oxford. He remained there until 1939, when he was elevated to the Episcopate, as Bishop of Durham 1939-52 and Bishop of Winchester and Prelate to the Most Noble Order of the Garter 1952–61. He was also the Chairman of the committee that eventually produced the New English Bible (1950–61). An unobtrusive but much respected cleric, he retired to Bridport and died seven years later, his funeral service being at Winchester Cathedral.
Throughout: 'WILLIAMS, Rt Rev. Alwyn Terrell Petre', Who Was Who (A & C Black, 1920–2007); online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007 accessed 24 March 2008
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- The Times, Monday, Feb 06, 1939; pg. 15; Issue 48222; col G Ecclesiastical News The New Bishop Of Durham
- The Times, Saturday, Jan 28, 1961; pg. 6; Issue 54991; col E Bishop To Resign Dr. Williams Leaving Winchester
- Rt Rev A. T. P. Williams Former Bishop of Winchester (Obituaries) The Times Tuesday, Feb 20, 1968; pg. 10; Issue 57180; col E
- The Times, Friday, Feb 23, 1968; pg. 10; Issue 57183; col D
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Durham
|Bishop of Winchester
|Headmaster of Winchester College
|This article about a Bishop or Prince-Bishop of Durham is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|