|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Soundtrack album by Yann Tiersen|
|Released||April 23, 2001|
|Genre||Avant-garde, bal-musette, contemporary classical|
|Yann Tiersen chronology|
Amélie is the soundtrack to the 2001 French film Amélie, a motion picture set in Paris, France, about a young woman endeavouring to help and improve the lives of those around her. Having been home-schooled since childhood, Amélie finally leaves her lifelong home and begins to discover her true vocation in life: awarding her neighbours and colleagues love and happiness. But when Amélie chances upon her own romance, her adventure truly begins—ever captured by the music of Yann Tiersen.
Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet chanced upon the accordion- and piano-driven music of Yann Tiersen while driving with his production assistant who put on a CD he had not heard before. Greatly impressed, he immediately bought Tiersen's entire catalogue and eventually commissioned him to compose pieces for the film. The soundtrack features both compositions from Tiersen's first three albums, but also new items, variants of which can be found on his fourth album, L'Absente, which he was writing at the same time.
Beside the accordion and piano the music features parts played with harpsichord, banjo, bass guitar, vibraphone and even a bicycle wheel at the end of "La Dispute" (which plays over the opening titles in the motion picture).
"Les Jours tristes" was co-written with Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy. The track later received English lyrics, and was released by The Divine Comedy as a b-side to the Regeneration single "Perfect Lovesong." The English-language version also appeared on Tiersen's L'Absente.
|1.||"J'y suis jamais allé"||1:34|
|2.||"Les jours tristes" (Instrumental) (written by Tiersen and Neil Hannon)||3:03|
|3.||"La valse d'Amélie"||2:15|
|4.||"Comptine d'un autre été : L'après-midi"||2:20|
|6.||"L'autre valse d'Amélie"||1:33|
|7.||"Guilty" (performed by Al Bowlly; written by Gus Kahn; composed by Richard A. Whiting and Harry Akst)||3:13|
|10.||"Pas si simple"||1:52|
|11.||"La valse d'Amélie" (Orchestral Version)||2:00|
|12.||"La valse des vieux os"||2:20|
|14.||"Si tu n'étais pas là" (performed by Fréhel; written by Gaston Claret and Pierre Bayle)||3:29|
|15.||"Soir de fête"||2:55|
|17.||"Sur le fil"||4:23|
|19.||"La valse d'Amélie" (Piano Version)||2:38|
|20.||"La valse des monstres"||3:39|
|French CD bonus tracks|
|21.||"L'autre valse d'Amélie" (Version quatuor à cordes et piano)||1:43|
|22.||"Les deux pianos"||2:00|
|23.||"Comptine d'un autre été : La Démarche"||2:03|
Awards and nominations
The list is made with the information from IMDb.
- 2001 — World Soundtrack Award for Best Original Score of the Year
- 2002 — César Award for Best Music Written for a Film
- 2001 — BAFTA Award for Best Film Music
- 2001 — World Soundtrack Award for Soundtrack Composer of the Year
- 2001 — Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Original Soundtrack of the Year
"Comptine d'un autre été : L'après-midi"
According to Billboard magazine (published in the year 2002) up to that date in US soundtrack has sold 50,000 copies, went double platinum in France and sold 1,1 million copies worldwide. 
Pianist, composer Dmytro Morykit arranged and plays a cover version where he has added a third part for right hand.
- "JEUNET, JEAN-PIERRE: FABULOUS DESTINY OF AMÉLIE". Urban Cinefile. December 13, 2001. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- Michael Hubbard (24 February 2002). "Composer Tiersen serenades Amelie". BBC News. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- Amélie at Discogs (list of releases)
- "Awards for Yann Tiersen". IMDb. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Steffen Hung. "Soundtrack / Yann Tiersen - Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-02.[permanent dead link]
- "Amélie - Yann Tiersen". Charts & Awards. AllMusic.
- "Austriancharts.at – Yann Tiersen – Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi)" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Musicline.de – Yann Tiersen Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Swisscharts.com – Yann Tiersen – Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi)". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA): Gold & Platinum - January 2005". Cria.ca. Archived from the original on 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Bundesverband Musikindustrie: Gold-/Platin-Datenbank" (in German). IFPI. Archived from the original on 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-07-25. Parameter "Interpret" must be set as "Amelie"
- "Złote CD (2002)". ZPAV. Archived from the original on 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
|World Soundtrack Award for Best Original Soundtrack
The Lord of the Rings:
The Fellowship of the Ring