American Journal of Psychiatry
|Edited by||Robert Freedman|
|American Journal of Insanity|
American Psychiatric Association (United States)
|Am. J. Psychiatry|
The American Journal of Psychiatry is a monthly peer-reviewed medical journal covering all aspects of psychiatry and the official journal of the American Psychiatric Association. The first volume was issued in 1844, at which time it was known as the American Journal of Insanity. The title changed to the current form with the July issue of 1921.
The Journal regularly publishes reports of pharmaceutical industry-sponsored clinical trial results of psychiatric drugs.
Several complaints, including legal cases, have charged the American Journal of Psychiatry with being complicit in pharmaceutical industry corruption of clinical trial results. In a Department of Justice case against Forest Pharmaceuticals, Forest pleaded guilty to the charges of misbranding the drug Celexa (citalopram). The Complaint in Intervention clearly identifies a 2004 ghostwritten article published in the American Journal of Psychiatry in the names of Wagner et al as a part of this illegal marketing of Celexa for pediatric depression.
- "About The American Journal of Psychiatry". American Psychiatric Association. 2016. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- The citalopram CIT-MD-18 pediatric depression trial: Deconstruction of medical ghostwriting, data mischaracterisation and academic malfeasance' by Jureidini, Jon, Amsterdam, Jay, McHenry, Leemon, International Journal of Risk & Safety in Medicine. 2016 28:33-43.
- United States v Forest Pharmaceuticals, Plea Agreement, September 15, 2010
- Wagner KD, Robb AS, Findling RL, Jin J, Gutierrez MM, Heydorn WE. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of citalopram for the treatment of major depression in children and adolescents. Am J Psych 2004; 161 (6): 1079-1083.
- United States v Forest Pharmaceuticals, Complaint in Intervention p. 17. section 60.
|This article about a scientific journal on psychiatry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about academic journals. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.