Amagasaki Cultural Zone
Location of Amagasaki in Hyōgo Prefecture
|• Mayor||Kazumi Inamura (Greens Japan)|
|• Total||49.77 km2 (19.22 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,010/km2 (23,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|City Hall Address||1-23-1 Higashinanamatsu-chō, Amagasaki-shi, Hyōgo-ken
Amagasaki (尼崎市 Amagasaki-shi?) is an industrial city located in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. The city was founded on April 1, 1916. Its population is around 460,000, below its peak of over 554,000 in 1971.
Amagasaki is the hometown of comedy duo Downtown stars Masatoshi Hamada and Hitoshi Matsumoto. It is also the hometown of Formula 1 driver Kamui Kobayashi, Chiyu, the bassist of SuG, author Koushun Takami and Heath, bassist of X Japan. Toshiaki Nishioka, a former world champion boxer, is also from this area.
- West Japan Railway Company
- Hankyu Railway
- Hanshin Electric Railway
A commuter train derailed on the Fukuchiyama Line near Amagazaki on April 25, 2005, resulting in more than 100 dead and 550 injured. See Amagasaki rail crash for details.
- Route 2, Route 43, Route 171
- Yamate Road
Politics of Amagasaki
Amagasaki is a major part of the Hanshin Industrial Region. Businesses headquartered in the city include manufacturers such as Osaka Titanium Technologies. The value of manufactured goods shipments in Amagasaki was 1,288 billion yen in 2004.
See also Hanshin Industrial Region.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2015)|
- Augsburg, Germany - since April 7, 1959
- Anshan, China - since February 2, 1983 (friendship city)
- Kami, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan (Formerly Mikata) - since 1974 (friendship city)
- Media related to Amagasaki, Hyogo at Wikimedia Commons
- Amagasaki City official website (Japanese) English machine translation is available on the site.