Amala at TeachAIDS launch in 2010
12 September 1968
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Residence||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Children||Akkineni Akhil (b.1994)|
Akkineni Nageswara Rao
Amala Akkineni (nee Mukherjee) is a former Indian film actress, Bharata Natyam dancer, and an animal welfare activist. She is best known for her works in Tamil cinema, and Telugu cinema. She has also starred in few Malayalam, Kannada, and Bollywood films. She has won two Filmfare Awards South, and a CineMAA Award. Amala is the co-founder of The Blue Cross of Hyderabad, a non-government organisation (NGO) in Hyderabad, India, which works towards the welfare of animals and preservation of animal rights in India.
Amala was born in Kolkata to a Bengali speaking father who was a Naval officer and an Irish mother. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Bharata Natyam from Kalakshetra college of fine arts, founded by Rukmini Devi Arundale. She gave many live performances worldwide. She was subsequently persuaded to join films by T. Rajender who visited her home with his sister and convinced her mother to let her act in the film which would be a classical film featuring her Bharat Natyam dancing.
Amala is married to Telugu Film actor Akkineni Nagarjuna in 1992 and the couple has a son, actor Akkineni Akhil. They currently live in Hyderabad. She is the step-mother of actor Naga Chaitanya. In an interview with The Hindu, she cited her greatest fear as not "walking the talk" when it comes to social issues. She also highlighted that her greatest regret is not speaking Telugu well.
Amala made her debut in a Tamil film titled Mythili Ennai Kaathali directed by Vijaya T. Rajendar, which was a huge box office hit. Winning overnight fame, she charmed cinegoers in a flurry of fifty films, including a number of Tamil box office hits. She acted with her future husband Akkineni Nagarjuna in hits like Nirnayam and Siva. She received Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Malayalam for her acting in the film Ulladakkam.
She quit acting in 1992 following her marriage to Nagarjuna, but made a comeback in 2012 with the Telugu film Life is Beautiful. She received a CineMAA Award for Best Outstanding Actress and Telugu category Film Fare Award for best supporting actress in 2013 for her portrayal.
- 1991 : Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Ulladakkam
- 2012 : Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu – Life Is Beautiful
- 2012 : Best Outstanding Actress – Life Is Beautiful
|1986||Mythili Ennai Kaathali||T. Rajendar||Mythili|
|Mella Thirandhathu Kadhavu||Mohan, Radha||Noorjahan|
|Oru Iniya Udhayam||Vijayakanth|
|Unnai Ondru Ketpen||Mohan|
|Kavithai Pada Neramillai||Raguvaran|
|Idhu Oru Thodarkathai||Mohan|
|Pesum Padam||Kamal Hassan||Magician's daughter|
|1988||Agni Natchathiram||Prabhu, Karthik||Anjali|
|Vetri Vizha||Kamal Hassan, Prabhu||Lalitha|
|Mounam Sammadham||Mammooty, Y. Gee. Mahendra||Hema|
|1991||Vaasalile Oru Vennila||Nizhalgal Ravi||Kamal|
|Karpura Mullai||Raja||Maya Vinodini|
|Kab Tak Chupe Rahungi||Aditya Pancholi|
|2013||Listen... Amaya||Amaya's aunt|
|2015||Hamari Adhuri Kahani|
|1988||Pushpaka Vimana||Kamal Hassan|
|1990||Bannada Gejje||V. Ravichandran|
|1992||Agni Panjara||Kumar Bangarappa|
|1991||Ksheera Saagara||Kumar Bangarappa|
|Belliyappa Bangarappa||Kumar Bangarappa|
|1991||Ente Sooryaputhrikku||Suresh Gopi||Maya Vinodini|
|2010||Super Mom||Judge||Tamil||STAR Vijay|
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo. "Amala Akkineni : Behind the glamour of cinema". The Hindu.
- S.B.VIJAYA MARY. "Amala for a fit mind, body". The Hindu.
- "Blue Cross of Hyderabad – The Team". Blue Cross of Hyderabad. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- S.B. Vijaya Mary. "'I treasure my quiet time': Amala Akkineni". The Hindu.
- T.Lalith Singh. "Respect saniation workers, Amala Akkineni tells people". The Hindu.
- Subhash K Jha (17 June 2015). "Amala Akkineni On Her Return To Acting". SKJ Bollywood News.
- SUBHA J RAO. "The measure of a woman". The Hindu.
- "February ’13 – Crusading for a cause". RITZ.
- "A day in the life of Amala Akkineni". The Times of India.
- "Amala". Gorantha Deepam. 24 June 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Himalayan Academy. "A Kinder Vision". hinduismtoday.com.
- "Amala Akkineni makes comeback with 'Life Is Beautiful'". Retrieved 1 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amala Akkineni.|