The Amânar or Shewfelt is an artistic gymnastics vault. The vault was named after the first gymnast to perform it at a World Championships or Olympic Games; Simona Amanar at the 2000 Olympics for women, and Kyle Shewfelt at the 2000 Olympics for men. The vault belongs to the Yurchenko family, and contains two and a half twists in the backward salto.
The vault remains one of the hardest vaults performed by females. Since 2010, and the end of the traditional 10.0 scoring system in 2005, the vault had a 6.5 difficulty score, 0.7 higher than the much more common double-twisting Yurchenko. In the 2013 Code Of Points, this vault is downgraded from a difficulty score of 6.5 to 6.3.
Females who have completed the Amanar
As of July 2015, the following have completed Amanars in competition.
- Hong Su Jong[note 1]
- Hong Un Jong
- Jade Barbosa
- Rebeca Andrade
- Jiang Yuyuan
- Shawn Johnson
- Hong Un Jong
- Anna Pavlova
- Jordyn Wieber
- Tatiana Nabieva
- McKayla Maroney
- Seira Suzuki
- Lexie Priessman
- Viktoria Komova
- Aliya Mustafina
- Maria Paseka
- Mykayla Skinner
- Brenna Dowell
- Kyla Ross
- Aly Raisman
- Simone Biles
- Gabby Douglas
- Elizabeth Price
- Huang Qiushuang
- Ksenia Afanasyeva
- Maggie Nichols
Males completing the Shewfelt
The first male to perform a 2.5-twisting Yurchenko was Kyle Shewfelt. He completed the vault in 1999 and, based on his performance at the 2000 Olympics, received naming credit for the Men's artistic gymnastics vault.
As of 2010 and since 2005, the Shewfelt corresponded to a 6.6 D score, and was a common vault for top international males who were not vault specialists. However, since 2004, men's vault evolved to higher difficulty, such that major-competition event finalists typically perform 7.0 vaults that are more difficult than the Shewfelt.
Points downgrading for incompletes
In modern gymnastics scoring, incomplete twisting results in a downgrade of difficulty rather than an execution deduction. Attempted Amanars with less than 2.5 credited twists are considered double-twisting Yurchenkos and thus downgraded by 0.7.
At the 2010 World Championships, Russian Nabieva's Amanar was downgraded in event finals (but credited in team finals and prelims) for incomplete twisting. The Russian team protested unsuccessfully. Controversy associated with the downgrade (and two other Russian vault downgrades) was reflected in Russian media and was covered in Western sources as well.
Notes and references
- Performed vault while age-ineligeable for meet, 2004 Olympics.
- "Simona Amânar - 200 Olympics EF - Vault 1".
- "Women's Artistic Gymnastics Code of Points 2009–2012". Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. p. 163. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "FIG Executive Committee - Official News" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Johnson Jumps Into Lead". Inside Gymnastics. 5 June 2008.
- "Johnson Defends U.S. Title". International Gymnast Magazine. 7 June 2008.
- Normile, Dwight (11 March 2008). "Johnson's Loss at the American Cup Also Her Gain". International Gymnast Magazine.
- "The Daily 9, Wed Oct 14". Inside Gymnastics. 14 October 2009.
- Normile, Dwight (17 October 2009). "China Grabs 3 of 5 Golds on First Day of Finals". International Gymnast Magazine.
- Moceanu, Dominique; Mike Canales (15 October 2009). "From the Stands: Women's Qualification". International Gymnast Magazine.
- Normile, Dwight (14 October 2009). "Session IV: Porgras Still Leads All-around Prelims". International Gymnast Magazine.
- "Ross Leads Junior Prelims". 12 August 2010.
- Normile, Dwight (12 August 2010). "Junior Women: Ross Leads, Wieber Falters". International Gymnast Magazine.
- Normille, Dwight (14 August 2010). "Jr. Women: Ross Cruises to Second U.S. Title". International Gymnast.
- Normille, Dwight (15 August 2009). "Ross Stays on Top, Claims U.S. Junior Title". International Gymnast.
- Normille, Dwight (13 August 2009). "Ross Takes Lead at U.S. Junior Championships". International Gymnast.
- Normile, Dwight (7 June 2010). "U.S. Will Not Send Wieber to Inaugural Youth Olympic Games". International Gymnast Magazine.
- "Inside Scoop: Our Take On Women's Qual, Day 1". Inside Gymnastics. 16 October 2010.
- Turner, Amanda (23 June 2011). "Raisman, Ross Take Titles at CoverGirl Classic". International Gymnast.
- "Elizabeth Price amanar vault - 2012 City of Jesolo Trophy". March 2012.
- "Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique : Rules". Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Russians protest on Vault Finals". Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- Video of textbook Amanar: see last half for slow motion.