Amanda Abbington at the 2015 Laurence Olivier Awards
|Born||Amanda Jane Smith
February 1974 (age 41)
Amanda Abbington (born Amanda Jane Smith; 28 February 1974 in North London) is an English actress. She is best known for playing Miss Mardle in Mr Selfridge and Mary Morstan in the BBC adaptation of Sherlock.
She first appeared in the TV series The Bill until 2007 as various characters. During that time she also appeared in the TV series Wycliffe, Casualty, Dream Team, The Sins, Shades, Doc Martin, Coupling, and Teachers. She appeared in the 2005 comedy sketch show Man Stroke Woman and the 2007–2008 comedy After You've Gone with Nicholas Lyndhurst. She has also appeared in recurring series such as Bernard's Watch, After You've Gone and Case Histories.
In 2013, she began appearing in the television series Mr Selfridge as Miss Mardle alongside Jeremy Piven and Frances O'Connor. In 2014, Abbington appeared in the third series of Sherlock as Mary Morstan, the wife of John Watson, played by her real life partner Martin Freeman.
Abbington is the longtime partner of British actor Martin Freeman, after they met on the set of the film Men Only in 2000. The couple have since appeared together on screen in productions such as The Debt, The Robinsons, The Good Night and Sherlock. They live in Hertfordshire and have two children together, Joe (born 2006) and Grace (born 2008).
|1993–2007||The Bill||Various||TV series (7 episodes)|
|1997||Plotlands||Maude||TV series (6 episodes)|
|1997||Wycliffe||Local W.P.C.||TV series (Episode: "Strangers")|
|1998||No Sweat||Chantelle||TV series (Episode: "Moon Boy")|
|1998||Magic with Everything||Cat||TV series (6 episodes)|
|1998||Picking up the Pieces||Staff Nurse Hunter||TV series (8 episodes)|
|1999||Casualty||Jen Reynolds||TV series (Episode: "Human Traffic")|
|1999||Dream Team||Marilyn Harwood||TV series (2 episodes)|
|1999||Snap||Zoe||TV series (Episode: "Missed Her Sister")|
|2000||The Thing About Vince||Lisa||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2000||The Sins||Belinda Edgeley||TV mini-series (2 episodes)|
|2001||Men Only||Trina||TV film|
|2001||Hearts and Bones||Mia||TV series (1 episode)|
|2001||Shades||Rebecca Jacobs||TV mini-series (1 episode)|
|2002||Always and Everyone||Tessa||TV series (3 episodes)|
|2002||20 Things to Do Before You're 30||Shona||TV series (8 episodes)|
|2003||The Debt||Stacey Ross||TV film|
|2004||Coupling||Nicola||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2004||Bernard's Watch||Sonia||TV series (9 episodes)|
|2004||Teachers||Sarah||TV series (1 episode)|
|2005||The Robinsons||Polly||TV series (4 episodes)|
|2005||Derailed||Kerry Hodder||TV film|
|2005–2007||Man Stroke Woman||Various||TV series (12 episodes)|
|2005||The Booze Cruise II||Leonie||TV film|
|2006||The Booze Cruise III||Leonie||TV film|
|2007–2008||After You've Gone||Siobhan Casey||TV series (21 episodes)|
|2007||The Good Night||Vivian Jesson||Uncredited|
|2007||The All Together||Sarah|
|2007||The Bill||Rachel Inns||TV series (7 episodes)|
|2007||Doc Martin||Isobel||TV series (Episode: "Happily Ever After")|
|2007||Sold||Zoe||TV series (1 episode)|
|2008||Coming Up||Daughter||TV series (Episode: "Lickle Bill Um")|
|2008||Agatha Christie's Poirot||Miss Blake||TV series (Episode: "Cat Among The Pigeons")|
|2008||Harley Street||Susie Linn||TV series (1 episode)|
|2009||Psychoville||Caroline||TV series (Episode: "Blackmail")|
|2010||Married Single Other||Babs||TV series (6 episodes)|
|2011–2013||Case Histories||DC Louise Munroe||TV series (9 episodes)|
|2012||Being Human||Golda||TV series (Episode: "Puppy Love")|
|2013–present||Mr Selfridge||Miss Mardle||TV series (29 episodes)|
|2014||Sherlock||Mary Morstan||TV series (3 episodes)
Crime Thriller Award for Best Supporting Actress
Nominated – Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Movie/Miniseries
|2014||Dinopaws||Gwen (voice)||TV series (10 episodes)|
|2014||Would I Lie to You?||A panelist||Episode 6 of Series 8 of this popular comedy panel show|
- "@vickeylewis I love you, I'm 40 next month...". Amanda Abbington's Verified Twitter. 15 January 2014.
- Rampton, James (30 December 2013). "Sherlock's Amanda Abbington admits partner Martin Freeman is one of her favourite actors". The Independent.
- Charalambous, Sophia (11 January 2014). "Sherlock actress Amanda Abbington tells of death threats from jealous fanatics when announced as Dr Watson's wife". MailOnline. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Jones, Paul (27 March 2013). "Martin Freeman's partner Amanda Abbington joins the cast of Sherlock". Radio Times. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Sherlock season 3 filming finished: "It's a wrap," says Sue Vertue – BBC new trailer released [VIDEO] | Christian News on Christian Today
- McLean, Craig (26 May 2013). "Amanda Abbington: Sherlock's Martin and Benedict have a fantastic chemistry". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Hardy, Rebecca (20 November 2009). "'People care more about X Factor than homelessness:'The Office star Martin Freeman on the things that tick him off". Daily Mail (UK). Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- Paton, Maureen (17 July 2010). "In a taxi with...Martin Freeman". Daily Mail (London).
- Arkell, Harriet (11 March 2013). "Partner of Hobbit star Martin Freeman goes bankrupt 'over £120,000 tax bill' despite him being worth £10m". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Amanda Abbington pays off tax debts". Daily Express (London). 24 March 2014. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Jones, Emma (5 July 2013). "'Don't turn on the people that I love': A stern Martin Freeman reveals he is more Bilbo Baggins than Tim from The Office". The Independent. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- McLean, Craig (26 May 2013). "Amanda Abbington: Sherlock's Martin and Benedict have a fantastic chemistry". Radio Times. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Would I Lie To You?". British Comedy Guide. Retrieved 24 October 2014.