|Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector|
|Assumed office |
1 January 2017
|Prime Minister||Theresa May|
|Preceded by||Sir Michael Wilshaw|
|Born||22 May 1961|
|Parents||Sebastian Robinson (f);|
Professor Olivia Robinson, FRSE, FRHistS (m)
|Alma mater||Clare College, Cambridge|
Amanda Mary Victoria Spielman, MA ACA serves as HM Chief Inspector of Education, Children's Services and Skills since January 2017.
She joined the senior leadership team at Ark Schools in 2005. From 2011 to 2016, Spielman was Chair of the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual).
Early life and education
Brought up in the Christian faith and educated first at Notre Dame Primary School in Glasgow, before boarding in Dorset from the age of ten, she joined St Paul's Girls' School's sixth form. She then went to Clare College, Cambridge, to read Mathematics and Law, graduating as BA in 1982.
Financial industry career
With KMG Thomson McLintock from 1982 to 1986 and then Kleinwort Benson from 1986 to 1992, she served as a director of Newstead Capital from 1992 until 1994 and of Bridgewater Business Analysis from 1994 to 1995.
In June 2016, Spielman was selected by Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan, to take over as Chief Inspector of Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted) to replace Sir Michael Wilshaw. Following a pre-appointment hearing, Spielman's nomination was rejected by the Education Select Committee which expressed concerns about her suitability, citing her lack of teaching experience and her failure to show "passion" and supposed lack of understanding for the "complex role". Mrs Morgan, however, dismissed such objections and in her capacity as Cabinet minister wrote to Neil Carmichael, the Committee's chairman, confirming her appointment of Mrs Spielman.
In 2018, Spielman supported a primary school headteacher's right to set a uniform policy that did not permit hijab for pupils in Key Stage 1 (ages 4–7). The UK's National Education Union (NEU) exclaimed this was “naked racism dressed up as liberalism”.
In December 2018, Spielman asserted that basic parenting duties should not be outsourced to schools and teachers: for instance, potty training was “a normal part of parenting in every other country” and it was “startling” that any British parents could allow their children to continue wearing nappies for years.
- Adams, Richard; Weale, Sally (9 January 2017). "New Ofsted chief: 'I want everyone to see us as a force for improvement'". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Amanda Spielman - GOV.UK". www.gov.uk. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Professor Olivia Fiona Robinson FRSE". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. 17 July 2019.
- "www.royalhistsoc.org/membership/rhs-fellows-and-members" (PDF).
- "Burke's Peerage - The Official Website".
- McInerney, Laura (23 December 2014). "Who is Amanda Spielman?". Schools Week. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- Sellgren, Katherine (7 July 2016). "MPs reject next head of Ofsted" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Rocker, Simon (28 July 2018). "Ofsted Chief Amanda Spielman: we don't want to make life difficult for Charedi community". The Jewish Chronicle.
- "Newstead Capital – Investment, direct lending, real estate development, private credit".
- "Comparative Education MA". Institute of Education. 26 July 2018.
- ‘SPIELMAN, Amanda Mary Victoria’, Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016 ; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 11 March 2017
- "Exclusive: Amanda Spielman gets nod as next Ofsted chief inspector". TES magazine. 10 June 2016.
- Espinoza, Javier (10 June 2016). "Amanda Spielman to become new Ofsted head". The Daily Telegraph.
- Adams, Richard (10 June 2016). "Amanda Spielman named as next Ofsted chief inspector". The Guardian.
- Sellgren, Katherine (7 July 2016). "Ofsted's next head, Amanda Spielman, rejected by MPs". BBC News.
- Morgan, Nicky. "Letter to Neil Carmichael".
- editor, Richard Adams Education (1 April 2018). "Hijab ban attempt is 'racism dressed up as liberalism', teachers' conference told" – via www.theguardian.com.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Griffiths, Sian (2 December 2018). "Ofsted boss Amanda Spielman: potty training is a parent's job" – via www.thetimes.co.uk.