Morgan-Smith playing for Luton Town
|Full name||Amari Aaron Morgan-Smith|
|Date of birth||3 April 1989|
|Place of birth||Wolverhampton, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Playing position||Striker, winger|
|2013||→ Kidderminster Harriers (loan)||5||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:47, 2 February 2015 (UTC).
Amari Aaron Morgan-Smith (born 3 April 1989) is an English footballer who currently plays for Cheltenham Town as a forward. He has previously played for Stockport County, Ilkeston Town, Luton Town, Macclesfield Town, Kidderminster Harriers and most recently Oldham Athletic.
Born in Wolverhampton, Morgan-Smith began his career in the youth set-up at hometown club Wolverhampton Wanderers, before spending time as a trainee at Crewe Alexandra. He was released in the summer of 2007, where he then went on trial at Stockport County with 150 other players through the club's Just Search campaign. He was one of just two players signed by Stockport after a successful trial on 22 August 2007. He made his debut for Stockport on 3 May 2008, coming on as a substitute in the second half in a 1–0 victory over Brentford. Morgan-Smith was released from the club a month later.
He joined Northern Premier League Premier Division side Ilkeston Town in the summer of 2008, helping the club clinch promotion to the Conference North in his first season. In total, Morgan-Smith scored 34 goals from 77 starts at Ilkeston. Following his scoring prowess, Ilkeston manager Kevin Wilson described Morgan-Smith as "one of the hottest properties in non-league football". During the summer of 2010, Morgan-Smith trained with Championship side Derby County on a trial period, though the club opted against signing him. On 8 September, Ilkeston were liquidated by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs over a £50,000 unpaid tax bill. Morgan-Smith was therefore released from the club with immediate effect. He joined League One side Carlisle United on trial on 21 September, though was not offered a contract.
On 28 September 2010, he joined Conference Premier side Luton Town as a free agent on a two-year contract. He played the same day in a 2–0 victory over Mansfield Town, scoring on his debut. Morgan-Smith scored a hat-trick for the club in a 4–0 FA Cup win against St Albans City on 23 October 2010. This led to him winning the award for Player of the Round.
Morgan-Smith started the 2011–12 season on form, scoring nine goals in thirteen league games, before a succession of serious injuries kept him out for most of the remaining campaign. The uncertainty over his fitness led to Luton manager Paul Buckle releasing him from his contract in June 2012. Morgan-Smith left the club having scored 18 goals in 48 games.
On 31 August 2012, Morgan-Smith signed for Conference Premier side Macclesfield Town on a one-year contract. He made his debut for the club on 1 September 2012 in a 4–1 defeat against his former club Luton Town.
On 31 January 2013, he signed on loan for Kidderminster Harriers for a month. He made five appearances for the club, scoring in a 3–1 victory over Alfreton Town. He was recalled from his loan early by Macclesfield and went on to play in eight further matches, scoring twice. He was released at the end of the season after scoring four goals in 28 games.
After training with Mansfield Town and his former club Luton Town in the summer of 2013, Morgan-Smith signed for Kidderminster Harriers on a short-term contract on 5 September 2013. He scored two goals in a 4–1 win against Forest Green Rovers on 8 October. On 11 November he extended his deal till the end of the season after impressing with 3 goals in 11 appearances. On 22 February, he scored both goals in a 2–2 draw with Braintree Town.
Boss Whild stated that it was likely Morgan-Smith would be leaving the club on 4 June 2014.
Morgan-Smith turned down the offer of a new contract.
On the 29th May 2015, Morgan-Smith penned a one-year deal with Cheltenham Town.
- 2010–11 FA Cup Player of the Round: Fourth Qualifying Round
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream Publishing. p. 299. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- "Just Search for a star unearths two gems". Stockport Express. MEN Media. 22 August 2007. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Stockport 1–0 Brentford". BBC Sport. 3 May 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Promoted Stockport release nine". BBC Sport. 2 June 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Luton Town sign striker Amari Morgan-Smith". BBC Sport. 28 September 2010. Archived from the original on 1 October 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Ilkeston striker is "hottest property in non-league", says his boss". This is Nottingham. Northcliffe Media Ltd. 20 August 2010. Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Carlisle hand trial to striker Amari Morgan-Smith". BBC Sport. 21 September 2010. Archived from the original on 24 September 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Ilkeston Town Football Club wound up over unpaid tax". BBC News. 8 September 2010. Archived from the original on 11 September 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Luton Town 2–0 Mansfield Town". BBC Sport. 28 September 2010. Archived from the original on 2 October 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Luton Town 4–0 St Albans City". Luton Town F.C. 23 October 2010. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2010.
- "Amari Claims FA Cup Award". Luton Town F.C. 2 November 2010. Archived from the original on 7 November 2010. Retrieved 2 November 2010. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "AMSPotR" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Amari injury a big worry for Hatters". Bedfordshire on Sunday. LSN Media Ltd. 9 March 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Mansfield bring in George Pilkington and Godfrey Poku". BBC Sport. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Macclesfield Town sign Mills, McNamee and Morgan-Smith". BBC Sport. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Luton 4 – 1 Macclesfield". BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Kidderminster Harriers: Amari Morgan-Smith & Nat Jarvis join". BBC Sport. 31 January 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Amari Morgan-Smith returns to Harriers". Kidderminster Shuttle. Newsquest (Midlands South) Ltd. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Boss Gary Whild admits Harriers duo are likely to move on ahead of new season...". Kidderminster Harriers FC. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Signing:Amari Morgan Smith". Oldham Athletic A.F.C. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Republic of Ireland 1–2 England C". The Football Association. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.