Amarnath Jha was the Vice Chancellor(VC)of University of Allahabad and Banaras Hindu University who was son of Sir Ganganath Jha, a great scholar of Sanskrit but was equally proficient in his mother tongue Maithili apart from Hindi,English, Persian, Urdu, and Bangla. Amarnath Jha was reputed as the ablest professor in India of his time. He was the Head of the Department of English at the University of Allahabad for a long time; on this post he was appointed at the Age of thirty-two only. He became Vice-Chancellor of the Allahabad University succeeding his father and of the Banaras Hindu University in succession to Dr.Radhakrishnan. He worked as the Vice Chairman of the committee of a project in National Defence Academy, India. He was one amongst eminent dignitories associated with the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sanstahan, Allahabad. Dr. Jha’s official career includs the first Chairman of the Public Service Commission, Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission. Next at the an end of his academic career, he was made the Chairman of the Bihar Public Service Commission (01/04/1953-01/09/1955)."].
In 1910-11 the Muir Hostel was constructed. Allahabad University renamed it as "Amarnath Jha Hostel" to pay him regards. hostels' history say that Dr. Amarnath Jha as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Allahabad was himself also the warden of the Muir Hostel. He was among the first recipients of the civilian honour of Padma Bhushan (1954).
Dr. Amarnath Jha was born in a Maithil Brahmin family of Mithila in Bihar. He died at an early age of fifty nine on 2 September 1947 at Patna. Allahabad University Dr. Amarnath Jha was a great scholar, a consummate speaker and an administrator par excellence.
- "Dr. Amarntah Jha was the VC of Allahabad University (1938-1947)". Allahabad University's ex-VC list on official web page reference
- says ""Dr. Amarnath Jha was the VC of Banaras Hindu University (27.2.1948 -5.12.1948)". Banaras Hindu University history from official web page
- " Dr. Tara Chand succeeded Professor Amarnath Jha as Vice-Chancellor as recorded in Political Science Department of the Allahabad University web page". Professor A N Jha’s reference
- "Dr. AMARNATH JHA: A TRIBUTE By K. K. PRASAD, B.A., LL.B.". Dr. Amarnath Jha’s brief bio-data is available here.
- " Dr. AMARNATH JHA: A TRIBUTE By K. K. PRASAD, B.A., LL.B.". quoted in Dr. Amarnath Jha’s brief bio-data.
- " Dr Amarnath Jha was appointed Vice Chairman of the committee that worked on the project ffrom 23 July 1945 to 12 November 1946". National Defence Academy
- " Dr. Amarnath Jha was amongst eminent dignitories associated with the institutions in the Univwersity Campus :Ganganath Jha Research Institute (Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan)." Ganganath Jha Research Institute is now called Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan official web page’s section about the Sansathan says
- " Second regional Conference on the National Commission: UNESCO/Reg.Cof.II/SR.17 on 26 November 1951, Bankok". (PDF),etc. As the Chairman, Public Service Commission of U P state, Dr. Amarnath Jha had said that word "elite" had the snobbish meaning something like the upper ten per cent of the society
- " Bihar Public Service Commission official web page
- "Dr. AMARNATH JHA: A TRIBUTE By K. K. PRASAD, B.A., LL.B.". Dr. Amarnath Jha’s a brief bio-data e
- "Allahabad University official web pages have described Amarnath Jha Hostel among hostel list", A N Jha Hostel reference
- "This hostel is in the list of University of Allahabad Hostel". Allahabad University.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Dr. AMARNATH JHA: A TRIBUTE By K. K. PRASAD, B.A., LL.B.". Dr. Amarnath Jha’s a brief bio-data available here