Amarnath Jha (25 February 1897 – 2 September 1955) was the Vice Chancellor (VC) of the University of Allahabad and the Banaras Hindu University. He was the son of Mahamohodhyay Dr. Sir Ganganath Jha, a great scholar of Sanskrit but was equally proficient in his mother tongue Maithili apart from Hindi, English, Persian, Urdu, and Bangla. Amarnath Jha was reputed as the ablest professor in India of his time. He was the Head of the Department of English at the University of Allahabad for a long time; on this post he was appointed at the Age of thirty-two only. He became Vice-Chancellor of the Allahabad University succeeding his father and of the Banaras Hindu University in succession to Dr. Radhakrishnan. He worked as the Vice Chairman of the committee of a project in National Defence Academy, India. He was one amongst eminent dignitaries associated with the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sanstahan, Allahabad. Dr. Jha’s official career includes the first Chairman of the Public Service Commission, Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission. Next at the end of his academic career, he was made the Chairman of the Bihar Public Service Commission (1 April 1953 – 1 September 1955).
In 1910-11 the Muir Hostel was constructed. Allahabad University renamed it as "Amarnath Jha Hostel" to pay him regards. hostels' history say that Dr. Amarnath Jha as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Allahabad was himself also the warden of the Muir Hostel. He was among the first recipients of the civilian honour of Padma Bhushan (1954).
Dr. Amarnath Jha was born in a Maithil Shrotriya Brahmin family of Mithila ( Sarisab-Pahi ) in Bihar. He died at an early age of fifty nine on 2 September 1955 at Patna. Dr. Amarnath Jha was a great scholar, a consummate speaker and an administrator par excellence.
- "Ex- Vice Chancellor". University of Allahabad. Archived from the original on 7 January 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- says ""Dr. Amarnath Jha was the VC of Banaras Hindu University (27.2.1948 -5.12.1948)" Archived 30 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Banaras Hindu University history from official web page
- " Dr. Tara Chand succeeded Professor Amarnath Jha as Vice-Chancellor as recorded in Political Science Department of the Allahabad University web page"[permanent dead link]. Professor A N Jha's reference
- Prasad, K. K. "Dr. Amarnath Jha: A Tribute". Archived from the original on 11 October 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- " Dr Amarnath Jha was appointed Vice Chairman of the committee that worked on the project from 23 July 1945 to 12 November 1946". National Defence Academy
- " Dr. Amarnath Jha was amongst eminent dignitaries associated with the institutions in the Univwersity Campus :Ganganath Jha Research Institute (Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan)." Archived 26 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine Ganganath Jha Research Institute is now called Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan official web page’s section about the Sansathan says
- " Second regional Conference on the National Commission: UNESCO/Reg.Cof.II/SR.17 on 26 November 1951, Bankok". (PDF),etc. As the Chairman, Public Service Commission of U P state, Dr. Amarnath Jha had said that word "elite" had the snobbish meaning something like the upper ten per cent of the society
- " Bihar Public Service Commission official web page
- "Allahabad University official web pages have described Amarnath Jha Hostel among hostel list", A N Jha Hostel reference
- "This hostel is in the list of University of Allahabad Hostel" Archived 4 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Allahabad University.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 October 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.