Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Bhushan Patel|
|Produced by||Raina Joshi|
|Written by||Aparna Nadig|
|Screenplay by||Tanya Pathak|
|Story by||Jody Medland|
|Edited by||Deven Murdeshwar|
Viking Media and Entertainment
|Distributed by||Blue Sapphire Films UK |
Weeping Grave Productions
|Box office||est. ₹3.6crores|
Amavas (transl. Moonless Day) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language horror thriller film directed by Bhushan Patel. Presented by Viiking Media Entertainment, the film stars Sachiin Joshi, Nargis Fakhri and Mona Singh. The movie was released on 8 February 2019.
The story is about Karan who is possessed by the spirit of his friend Sameer, who gets murdered. After that, Maya also gets murdered by Sameer`s spirit in the body of Karan. So Sameer`s spirit killed Gotti, Shibani, Ruhi (Maya`s sister) and also tries to kill Ahana. But Karan saves her by killing himself in the burning grave of Sameer as injury mark was there on Karan`s chest given by Sameer during his e his (spirit) only source to survive in the body of Karan. But in the end scene, it seems that there was also same kind of injury mark in the hand of Ahana. So the spirit then also exists in Ahana with that mark. Movie ends promising a sequel.
- Sachiin Joshi as Karan Ajmera
- Nargis Fakhri as Ahana
- Vivan Bhatena as Sameer, the ghost
- Mona Singh as Dr Shibani Roy, psychiatrist
- Ali Asgar as Gotti, servant and butler
- Navneet Kaur Dhillon as Maya
- Sabina Chema
- Monisha Haseen
- Tara Devani
- David Broughton as Doctor
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||1 February 2019|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Ankit Tiwari chronology|
|Abhijit Vaghani chronology|
The film's soundtrack was composed by Sanjeev-Darshan, Ankit Tiwari, Abhijit Vaghani and Asad Khan, with lyrics written by Sandeep Nath, Junaid Wasi, Anurag Bhomia, Kunaal Verma and Ikka. The first song was titled "Jab Se Mera Dil" and released on 11 December 2018. The album is presented by T-Series.
|1.||"Jab Se Mera Dil"||Sandeep Nath||Sanjeev-Darshan||Armaan Malik, Palak Muchhal||3:24|
|2.||"Finito"||Kunaal Verma, Ikka||Abhijit Vaghani||Jubin Nautiyal, Sukriti Kakar, Ikka||3:17|
|3.||"Dhadkan"||Sandeep Nath||Sanjeev-Darshan||Jubin Nautiyal, Palak Muchhal||3:37|
|4.||"Bheege Bheege"||Anurag Bhomia||Ankit Tiwari||Ankit Tiwari, Sunidhi Chauhan||3:40|
|5.||"Zikr"||Junaid Wasi||Asad Khan||Armaan Malik||3:46|
Marketing and release
Amavas received mixed reviews from critics. Reza Noorani of The Times of India rates the film one and half stars out of five and writes, "As far as the horror is concerned, there is nothing to worry about because the ghost is extremely predictable even when it tries to surprise you. While the effects are slick and the ghosts match up to international standards, they cannot save this film from turning into a painful two-hour-long watch". In contrast, Subhash K. Jha of CNN-News18 gave it three stars out of five and opined: "Death is indeed a "grave" matter in Hindi horror, what with the graveyard being a favourite haunt of horror. Amavas doesn't visit any graveyard but a grave plays an important part in the rites of exorcism. The film presses all the right buttons, ticks all the boxes". Kunal Guha of Mumbai Mirror, however, rated the film one star out of five, and felt it "reduces horror to hilarity".
The film earned ₹0.75 crore nett in India on its opening day. Amavas has collected ₹3 crore nett pan India in its opening week.
- "It's a new release date for horror film 'Amavas'". Filmibeat.com. 28 January 2019. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "AMAVAS (2019)| British Board of Film Classification". bbfc. 29 January 2019.
- "Amavas Box Office Collection till Now - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Amavas - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Saavn.
- "Amavas - Official Trailer - Sachiin Joshi - Nargis Fakhri". YouTube.
- "AMAVAS MOVIE REVIEW TIMES OF INDIA". Times of India. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Amavas Movie Review: Never Judge A 'Bhoot' By Its 'Kabr'". News18. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Amavas Movie Review: Sachin Joshi Nargis Fakhri starrer reduces horror to hilarity". Mumbai Mirror. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.