The Amazing Race 17
|The Amazing Race 17|
|Season Run||September 26 – December 12, 2010|
|Filming dates||May 26 – June 15, 2010|
|No. of Episodes||12|
|Winning team||Natalie "Nat" Strand & Katherine "Kat" Chang|
|Unfinished Business||Gary & Mallory Ervin|
|Distance traveled||32,000 mi (51,000 km)|
The Amazing Race 17 is the seventeenth installment of the American reality television show The Amazing Race. This season featured 11 teams of two, with a pre-existing relationship, in a race around the world.
The seventeenth cycle started on Sunday, September 26, 2010. It aired on CBS in the United States in a special 90-minute episode; then returned to its normal hour-long format the following week on Sunday nights at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT The season finale was on December 12, 2010. The show was again hosted by Phil Keoghan.
This was the final season filmed and broadcast in Standard Definition.
The season was released by CBS DVD on November 4, 2014, in a DVD set including all episodes and its accompanying Elimination Station web series. It was only made available through online purchase, manufactured by Amazon.com's CreateSpace.
- 1 Production
- 2 Results
- 3 Episode title quotes
- 4 Prizes
- 5 Elimination Station
- 6 Race summary
- 6.1 Leg 1 (United States → United Kingdom)
- 6.2 Leg 2 (United Kingdom → Ghana)
- 6.3 Leg 3 (Ghana)
- 6.4 Leg 4 (Ghana → Sweden)
- 6.5 Leg 5 (Sweden → Norway)
- 6.6 Leg 6 (Norway → Russia)
- 6.7 Leg 7 (Russia)
- 6.8 Leg 8 (Russia → Oman)
- 6.9 Leg 9 (Oman → Bangladesh)
- 6.10 Leg 10 (Bangladesh → Hong Kong, China)
- 6.11 Leg 11 (Hong Kong, China → South Korea)
- 6.12 Leg 12 (South Korea → United States)
- 7 Ratings
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Development and filming
CBS renewed the 17th edition of The Amazing Race on January 25, 2010. The season premiered on September 26, 2010, with a special 90-minute episode; it returned to its regular hour-long format the following week.
This season spanned 32,000 miles (51,000 km) while racing across four continents, with first-time visits to Ghana and Bangladesh. Also for the first time in the show's history, teams crossed the Arctic Circle.
Filming began on May 26, 2010, with the starting line at the Eastern Point Yacht Club in Gloucester, Massachusetts, making this the first season since The Amazing Race All-Stars to start in a city other than Los Angeles. It ended on June 15, 2010, with the finish line in Los Angeles, California.
Prior to the Race's broadcast, CBS posted a short preview video clip from an episode on the Internet, showing Brook and Claire competing at a watermelon launching challenge using an elastic slingshot. The clip showed Claire, working the slingshot, being hit in the face full-on with a watermelon after it failed to launch correctly, leaving her momentarily stunned but otherwise not seriously injured. The clip spread virally on the Internet.
Two new game elements were introduced in season 17. The first was the Express Pass, awarded to the team who finished first on the first Leg. The pass allowed the team to skip any Detour, Roadblock or Route Marker task before Leg 8. Dating couple Jill and Thomas won the Express Pass, which they later used to bypass the Beds Detour on Leg 4. Another new element was the Double U-Turn, where two teams are allowed to use U-Turns in a single race leg. Jill and Thomas U-Turned Brook and Claire, while Nat and Kat U-Turned Chad and Stephanie.
During the Leg 3 Pit Stop in Ghana, teams helped renovate the school they visited during the leg.
Applications were due on February 4, 2010. Semi-finalist interviews were held in March 2010, and the final casting interviews took place in Los Angeles around March 2010. From there, eleven teams were selected as contestants and filming took place approximately from May to June 2010.
The cast included a team of home shopping hosts, Internet entertainer Kevin Wu – popularly known as "KevJumba" – and his father Michael; Ivy League a cappella singers; and a birth mother and daughter who recently reunited following an adoption over twenty years earlier. This was the first season without a married couple. There were three beauty queens competing: Mallory Ervin, who competed in Miss America 2010, where she placed fourth runner-up; Brook Roberts, who competed in Miss America 2005; and Stephanie Smith, who was Miss South Carolina USA 2009.
Four all-female teams were cast this season, a record for the American edition, which had previously only cast as many as three in the sixteen prior seasons.
Chad Waltrip proposed to Stephanie Smith during the course of the race; they were married on November 20, 2010.
Gary and Mallory raced once again in The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business among a cast of returning teams from seasons 12–17. Mallory returned on the second All-Star edition, racing with Mark from season 20, replacing an ill Bopper.
The following teams participated in the Race, each listed along with their placements in each leg and relationships as identified by the program. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television, owing to the inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks
|Nat & Kat||Doctors||2nd||7th||8th||1st||1stƒ||4th||1st||5th||3rd⋑||1st||3rd||1st||Nat 6, Kat 5|
|Brook & Claire||Home Shopping Hosts||4th||1st||6th||3rd||5th||2nd||2nd4||4th||4th⊂||3rd||2nd10||2nd||Brook 7, Claire 5|
|Jill & Thomas||Dating||1st||5th||7th||5thε2||3rd||1st||5th||2nd7||1st⊃||2nd||1st||3rd||Jill 5, Thomas 7|
|Nick & Vicki||Dating||10th||8th||5th||6th||6th||7th3||3rd||3rd||2nd||4th9||4th11||Nick 6, Vicki 5|
|Chad & Stephanie||Newly Dating→Engaged6||8th||4th||3rd||7th||7th||5th||6th5||1st||5th⋐||Chad 5, Stephanie 4|
|Gary & Mallory||Father/Daughter||6th||9th||2nd||2nd||2nd||6th||4th||6th8||Gary 4, Mallory 4|
|Michael & Kevin||Father/Son||7th||3rd||9th||4th||4th||3rd||7th5||Michael 3, Kevin 4|
|Katie & Rachel||Beach Volleyball Partners||5th||2nd||4th||8th||8th||Katie 3, Rachel 2|
|Connor & Jonathan||Ivy League A Cappella Singers||3rd||6th||1st||9th||Connor 4, Jonathan 0|
|Andie & Jenna||Birth Mom/Daughter||9th||10th||Andie 0, Jenna 2|
|Ron & Tony||Best Friends||11th1||Ron 1, Tony 0|
- A red team placement means the team was eliminated.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward.
- A purple ε indicates that the team decided to use the Express Pass on that leg.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump in the next leg of the race whereas an underlined and italicized blue placement signifies that there was no Speed Bump on the next Leg due to a production error (see below).
- A brown ⊃ or a cyan ⋑ indicates that the team chose to use one of the two U-Turns in a Double U-Turn; ⊂ or ⋐ indicates the team who received it.
- ^ Ron & Tony incurred a penalty for an unspecified amount of time for quitting the coracle task; however, since Ron and Tony checked-in at the Pit Stop last, they were eliminated without the penalty being applied.
- ^ Jill & Thomas used the Express Pass to bypass the Detour in Leg 4.
- ^ While Nick & Vicki came in last in a non-elimination leg, they did not face a Speed Bump in the following leg. Post-race interviews revealed that the Speed Bump was waived, and that everyone's placement in that leg was equalized at the Detour, in compensation for various production difficulties in the previous leg affecting all of the teams. One of the problems involved the judge at the Classical Music Detour who made erroneous calls causing teams (Nick & Vicki in particular) to spend more time at the task than they needed to.
- ^ Brook & Claire (who were currently 2nd at the time) initially followed Michael & Kevin by taking a taxi from the Tower to the Church of the Savior on Blood when the clue instructed them to travel on foot. Upon realising the mistake from Claire, Brook immediately instructed the driver to turn back to the tower in order for them to correct their mistakes. This did not affect their placement.
- ^ Chad & Stephanie arrived without their bags having failed to pay the taxi that drove them to the Pit Stop. They were required to return to their taxi, pay their fare, and retrieve their bags before being allowed to check in. During this time, Michael & Kevin arrived in 6th, but were issued two 30-minute penalties totaling 1-hour (one for hiring a taxi to lead them from Bank Bridge to 1 Vladimirsky Prospekt Tower, and another for taking a taxi from the Tower to the Church of the Savior on Blood, both of which were explicitly prohibited by two clues). Chad & Stephanie returned during Michael & Kevin's penalty time, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for taking a taxi to Church of the Savior on Blood when the clue instructed them to travel on foot. At that time they were the only two teams left to check in at that point, and since Michael & Kevin had more than 30 minutes remaining on their penalty time, Chad & Stephanie were allowed to check-in immediately for a 6th-place finish, with their 30-minute penalty time to be assessed at the start of the next leg; Michael & Kevin were then fell to last place, which resulted in their elimination.
- ^ Chad & Stephanie left the Pit Start in Saint Petersburg over 2 hours late because they accidentally overslept. This did not affect their departure placement since they were the last to depart. Later, on the same leg, Chad proposed to Stephanie, who accepted. Their relationship title was changed from "Newly Dating" to "Engaged".
- ^ Jill & Thomas initially arrived 1st, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for paying a taxi driver to lead them to the Pit Stop, which was explicitly prohibited in the clue. Chad & Stephanie checked-in during their penalty time, dropping Jill & Thomas to 2nd.
- ^ Gary & Mallory were issued a 30-minute penalty for possessing and using maps, which was explicitly prohibited in the clue; however, since Gary & Mallory checked in at the Pit Stop last, they were eliminated without the 30-minute penalty being applied.
- ^ Nick & Vicki elect to forfeit the Detour because they were too exhausted to continue. They arrived at the Pit Stop last, but were notified that it was a non-elimination leg. The 6-hour penalty they would have taken from the Detour was instead applied to their starting time in Leg 11.
- ^ Brook & Claire initially arrived 1st, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for taking a taxi to their Detour location when the clue instructed teams to travel either on foot or take the subway. Jill & Thomas checked in during their penalty time, dropping Brook & Claire to 2nd.
- ^ By the time Nick & Vicki made it to the Seung-il Bridge in Cheorwon, all the other teams had already checked in at the Pit Stop and it had become too dark for them to safely perform some of the tasks, after they fell behind all the other teams due to the penalty issued at the start of the leg (see note 9). During the broadcast of the leg, they were only shown performing the Speed Bump (which was not described by Phil) and then immediately checking in at the Pit Stop for elimination. In interviews after the episode was broadcast, they revealed that they did the Detour as well.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers. However, many of the cited websites do not use episode titles, including the network CBS.
- "They Don't Call It The Amazing Race For Nothin!" – Brook
- "A Kiss Saves the Day" – Brook
- "In Phil We Trust" – Connor
- "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads" – Kevin
- "Tastes Like a Million Dollars" – Kat
- "Run, Babushka, Run" – Vicki
- "I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong" – Brook
- "Ali Baba in a Suit" – Nick
- "There's a Lot of Nuts and Bullets" – Jill
- "I Hate Chinese Food" – Vicki
- "I'm Surrounded by Ninjas" – Brook
- "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race" – Nat
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 – The Express Pass – an item that can be used on the race to skip any one task of the team's choosing up until Leg 8.
- Leg 2 – A trip for two to Hawaii.
- Leg 3 – $5,000 for each team member.
- Leg 4 – A trip for two to Belize.
- Leg 5 – A trip for two to Costa Rica.
- Leg 6 – A trip for two to São Paulo, Brazil.
- Leg 7 – $5,000 for each team member.
- Leg 8 – A trip for two to Belize.
- Leg 9 – $15,000 Discover gift card.
- Leg 10 – A trip for two to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Leg 11 – A trip for two to Iguazu Falls, Argentina.
- Leg 12 – $1,000,000
After elimination, the first five eliminated teams were sequestered at a villa in Cancun, Mexico, to await the finale. CBS posted short videos on its website after each episode aired in the Pacific Time Zone to show the eliminated teams interacting at the villa.
- After Leg 1, Ron & Tony were the first team eliminated and were sent to the villa. They expressed their disappointment at being the first team eliminated but decided to make the most of their situation. After they settled into the villa, they decided to go kayaking, remarking how much easier it was compared to the coracle that they unsuccessfully manned during the race. Afterward, Ron & Tony sat by the pool and tried to predict who would be the first to join them in the villa; they agreed that it could be anyone.
- After Leg 2, Andie & Jenna were the second team eliminated and were sent to the villa. Ron and Tony welcomed them, glad to finally have another team at the villa to keep them company. Andie and Jenna revealed that they had only recently met, which shocked and moved both Ron and Tony. Andie and Jenna talked at length about their relationship over dinner with Ron & Tony, with Andie revealing the circumstances surrounding Jenna's adoption, and that she has ten other children.
- Leg 3 was a non-elimination leg; hence, no new teams were sent to the villa. Ron & Tony gave Andie & Jenna salsa dancing lessons. Afterward, Andie & Jenna sat by the pool and discussed their relationship.
- After Leg 4, Connor & Jonathan were the third team eliminated and were sent to the villa. Prior to their arrival, the eliminated teams went on a whale shark watching excursion, but after Andie & Jenna became seasick from the rough waves, everyone returned to the villa without seeing any. Later, Connor & Jonathan arrived and shared the song they sang for Phil when they were eliminated. Connor & Jonathan then recounted what happened on their last leg, claiming that the remaining teams were starting to become more cutthroat – news which disappointed Andie & Jenna.
- After Leg 5, Katie & Rachel were the fourth team eliminated and were sent to the villa. Before their arrival, the three eliminated teams went to Kings Bath, where legend holds that the King bathed his children. Afterward, the three teams speculated on who would show up next, wanting another "fun" team to join them in the villa. Katie and Rachel arrived and immediately expressed how angry and disappointed they were to be eliminated, ignoring the other eliminated teams' attempts to console them. This irritated Ron & Tony, who claimed that Katie & Rachel's bitter attitudes were bringing a negative energy to the house. Later, Katie & Rachel admitted that they did enter the villa in a foul mood, but did not regret anything they had said, further bemoaning the fact that they had lost the race.
- Leg 6 was a non-elimination leg; hence, no new teams were sent to the villa. The group played a game of water volleyball together in the villa's pool. Afterward, they went to the beach. Katie & Rachel, still bitter about being eliminated, said that they did not want one of the remaining all-female teams to win the race, since they had wanted to be the first all-female winners.
- After Leg 7, Michael & Kevin were the fifth team eliminated and were sent to the villa. After the other teams went snorkeling during the day, Katie & Rachel continued to state that they wanted an all-female team (specifically Brook & Claire) to be eliminated next, as they still were upset that they would not be the first all-female team to win; the two girls were disappointed when they saw Michael & Kevin arrive. Kevin stated his disappointment at their elimination because of an hour-long penalty, while Michael joked that he was glad to finally be done with the stresses of racing. While alone, Kevin continued to say he wished they had not been eliminated so they could have potentially gone to Asia (specifically China where they would have had had a linguistic advantage), but Michael told him to just drop the issue. The next day, the eliminated teams visited Punta Sur, where Katie & Rachel spoke with Michael & Kevin about their elimination. Michael told the group that none of them should dwell on losing the race, and that it should be a learning experience on how to accept even the biggest disappointments in life.
- After Leg 8, Gary & Mallory were the sixth team eliminated. The teams gathered around a phone, waiting for a call to see who was eliminated. Before the call, Jenna stated that she and Rachel had dreams the previous night that either Gary & Mallory or Brook & Claire were eliminated. Katie & Rachel stated, again, that they wanted Brook & Claire to be eliminated. Everyone was surprised when Gary & Mallory called, and told the teams that it was the hardest leg ever, and that they traveled for 16 hours and ended up losing to Nat & Kat with minutes to spare. After the call, the teams continued to comment on Katie & Rachel's obsession that an all-female team should not win the race this season. The next day, the eliminated teams went down to the docks to pick up an amberjack and then cook it in the traditional Mayan Tikin Xic style. Once the food was prepared, Andie told everyone that it reminded her of home and being with family, and that the eliminated teams were her substitute family, and Connor joked that she was their substitute birth mom. Later, Ron & Tony spoke with Andie about her relationship with Jenna, and Andie said that whatever Jenna wanted to do from this point on was fine with her.
- After Leg 9, Chad & Stephanie were the seventh team eliminated. Connor & Jonathan spoke about how they felt the fact that they did not attend their graduation at Princeton makes it better that they did not have the transition from college student into adulthood. Later, the eliminated teams went to Alux, an underground restaurant inside a natural cavern, and Jenna had everyone around the table say what they learned from their time on the Race.
- Leg 10 was a non-elimination leg, but this Elimination Station featured eliminated teams waiting for the phone call with Chad & Stephanie calling the villa after their elimination in Leg 9. They told the other teams how being U-Turned by Nat & Kat had led to their elimination, and then shared the news about their engagement. Ron joked with them by asking if the elimination affected their engagement. The eliminated teams discussed who they wanted in the Top 3, with Nat & Kat and Brook & Claire both mentioned. Jokes were made about Katie & Rachel's dislike that an all-female team might win and that it was not going to be them. Later, all the eliminated teams packed up and prepared for their flight to the final destination city. Michael finally admitted to Kevin that if he were more confident in himself, they might have been able to go farther in the Race. Andie & Jenna were glad that they would be returning home soon, and Jenna expressed how she felt about her relationship with her biological mother. As the eliminated teams left he villa, all of them speculated on what the final destination would be, with guesses ranging from somewhere in Arizona to Seattle to New York City.
- After Leg 11, Nick & Vicki were the eighth and final team eliminated. Elimination Station showed the five eliminated teams arriving at the final destination in Los Angeles, California. After arriving in Los Angeles, the teams checked into a hotel, settled into their rooms, and awaited the phone call from the eighth team eliminated. Ron commented that he and Tony were in their home city; Kevin commented that there would be a lot of interesting things to do in Los Angeles, while also saying to his father what it would be like if they were still racing; and Andie and Jenna discussed how their future relationship would develop. Later, the teams gathered to get the call from the field to learn that Nick & Vicki had been eliminated. Vicki mentioned how she had gotten sick in the previous leg and their penalty had contributed to their loss. Nick said that he believed that Jill & Thomas would win the race, as they had been coming in first lately, but Vicki said that she thought Nat & Kat would win. The eliminated teams joked that Rachel would physically attack either Brook & Claire or Nat & Kat if they came across the finish line first; although Rachel said she was no longer upset that an all-female team could win this season.
- Leg 12 was the final leg of The Amazing Race 17. Elimination Station showed the Finish Line that took place in Greystone Mansion. Gary & Mallory, Chad & Stephanie, and Nick & Vicki reunited with the other eliminated teams. Andie asked to see Stephanie's engagement ring, and she told the others that they had finished in first place that leg and won a trip to Belize for their honeymoon. Tony led the eliminated teams in a dance before waiting for the remaining teams to cross the finish line. All the eliminated teams were waiting to find out who would cross the Finish Line first and win $1,000,000. When they found out that Nat & Kat crossed the finish line first and won $1,000,000, everyone congratulated them on being the first all-female team to win. Rachel, although still upset that she and Katie were not that team, said she was still happy for their win. The teams then greeted Brook & Claire as they crossed the finish line in 2nd Place, with everyone noting that the top two teams were both female teams. When Jill & Thomas finally crossed the finish line in 3rd Place, Thomas conceded that even though he and Jill were top competitors, Nat & Kat and Brook & Claire were truly the top two teams. Teams expressed their opinions about the final three teams at the Finish Line along with their joys and disappointments about the race, and the learning experiences they could draw from it.
|Destinations||Air travel Rail travel Water travel Bus travel|
|Route Markers||Detour Roadblock Fast Forward U-Turn Speed Bump Pit Stop|
Leg 1 (United States → United Kingdom)
Airdate: September 26, 2010
- Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States (Eastern Point Yacht Club) (Starting Line)
- Boston (Logan International Airport) to London, England , United Kingdom (London Heathrow Airport)
- Amesbury (Stonehenge)
- Ledbury (Eastnor Castle)
In the race's first Roadblock, one team member had to travel on horseback to a tournament area and use a giant slingshot to launch a watermelon towards a suit of armor standing 50 feet (15 m) away. Once they had knocked the armor over, the team had to find a court jester who would give them the next clue.
- Additional tasks
- Upon arriving at London, teams had to drive to Stonehenge in Amesbury to pick up their clue and solve a riddle ("the opposite of Nor'easter") to discover that their next route marker was Eastnor Castle. Once at the castle, teams had to climb a ladder on an exterior wall of the castle while peasants standing atop the wall taunted and poured dirty water on them. Once they scaled the wall, they had to retrieve a medieval flag and then use a coracle to cross the castle's moat to bring the flag to a knight in shining armor who would give them their next clue.
- After completing the Roadblock, teams were instructed to search the castle grounds for the Pit Stop.
- Additional note
- Right after the race began, teams make their way to Logan International Airport to reserve one of two flights to London, England. The first three teams will board on the first flight, while all the other teams departed a half-hour later on the second flight.
Leg 2 (United Kingdom → Ghana)
Airdate: October 3, 2010
- London (London Heathrow Airport) to Accra, Ghana (Kotoka International Airport)
- Accra (Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park)
- Accra (Makola Market)
- Teshie (Peace Motor Spare Parts)
- Accra (Adom Electronics or Emmanuel's Woodshop and Hello Coffin Showroom)
- Accra (Kaneshie Market)
For this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to sell sunglasses to make GH₵15 (approx. US$10), and each pair should not be sold for less than GH₵3. Once they earned enough money, they received their next clue.
The race's first Detour was a choice between Tune In or Check Out. In Tune In, teams had to travel to Adom Electronics and pick up a television antenna setup, bring it to a marked house, and set it up to the customer's preference. Once the television set picked up a proper signal, the house owner would give them their next clue. In Check Out, teams had to bring a fantasy coffin from Emmanuel's Woodshop to a showroom across town to retrieve their next clue.
Leg 3 (Ghana)
Airdate: October 10, 2010
- Jamestown (Akotoku Boxing Academy)
- Dodowa (Supply Depot)
- Dodowa (Asebi D/A Primary School)
- Doryumu (Home of Awusa Ntso)
For this leg's Roadblock, one team member had to perform a boxing workout; after first wrapping their hands properly, the team member had to punch a punching bag and then jump rope for 60 seconds. When they complete the workout, their boxing trainer gave them their next clue.
The Detour in this leg was a choice between Bicycle Parts or Language Arts. In Bicycle Parts, both team members had to use a stick to roll a bicycle wheel's rim down the length of a soccer field and back (two passes), without touching it with their hands or letting it fall over. Once they completed their two passes, one of the school children would give them their next clue. In Language Arts, teams chose a proverb with eight highlighted phrases that corresponded to a series of eight Adinkra symbols. Using a nearby decoder key, teams had to locate the eight symbols in a massive word search-like puzzle. Once they circled the correct set of Adinkra symbols, one of the school children would give them their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the Supply Depot in Dodowa, teams had to load up two wheelbarrows with building supplies and deliver them to the Asebi D/A Primary School. Once at the school, teams had to join a geography class studying a map of Africa. While the children located other nations in Africa, teams had to correctly locate Ghana on the map in order to receive their next clue from the students.
Leg 4 (Ghana → Sweden)
Airdate: October 17, 2010
- Accra (Kotoka International Airport) to Kiruna, Sweden (Kiruna Airport)
- Jukkasjärvi (Icehotel)
- Poikkijärvi (in Swedish) (Fjellborg's Lodge)
- Riksgränsen (Vassijaure Railway Station (in Swedish))
- Riksgränsen (Swedish–Norwegian Border)
For this leg's Speed Bump, Michael & Kevin were required to sit on chairs made of ice in the Icehotel for 10 minutes before they could take their next clue and continue racing.
In this Roadblock, one team member had to choose a sled dog team and hitch it to a summer training sled. They then had to take the dogs on a course and collect five different flags along the way, which were traded for fur pelts at the end, and brought back to camp for their next clue. If they missed a flag, they had to take a penalty lap for each missed flag.
The Detour for this leg was a choice between Sleds or Beds. In Sleds, teams had to use TechSleds to race down a mountain course in less than one minute and 58 seconds. If they failed to reach the end before the allotted time, they had to repeat the run. In Beds, teams had built a traditional Sami dwelling known as a goahti, and furnished the inside with furs and a fire pit. A Sami elder gave the team their next clue when the goahti was built and furnished to their satisfaction.
- Additional tasks
- While there were limited flights from Ghana, teams were instead required to book a flight to Frankfurt, Germany, and take two separate flights to Kiruna.
- At the Icehotel, teams had to find the storage room and pick up the next clue from a block of ice. Teams had to figure out the next location which was written in Swedish: Pietaras Järvivägen Fjellborgs Vid Väkkäräjärvi, translating to Fjellborg's Lodge in Poikkijärvi, for the next clue.
Leg 5 (Sweden → Norway)
Airdate: October 24, 2010
- Narvik, Nordland, Norway (Fagernesfjellet Mountain)
- Narvik (Stornaustet)
- Narvik (Skjomen Bridge)
- Sandtorg, Troms (Hårvika)
- Narvik (Ankenes Marina)
For this Fast Forward, teams would have to go to the Stornaustet immersive restaurant in Vidrek to participate in a traditional Christmas ritual, and eat an entire serving of smalahove, a dish made of a boiled sheep's head, between the two of them to claim the Fast Forward.
The Roadblock requires one team member to rappel off the Skjomen Bridge and then signal for one of two waiting boats to give them their next clue. After retrieving the clue from the boat, the team member had to use a mechanical ascender to return to the bridge deck.
The Detour was a choice of Bike or Boat. In Bike, teams had to ride a bicycle along a course to a sign, where combinations of numbers and colors were shown. Teams then had to memorize the combination of the color that matched the color on their bike, return to the starting point, and then use the combination to unlock their next clue. In Boat, teams had to use a reference map to navigate a boat to a specific location. They then had to deliver two cod and a chainsaw to a summer lodge to receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- Upon arriving at Narvik, teams were told to head to Fagernesfjellet Mountain, where they had to ride the gondola to the top of the mountain to receive their next clue.
Leg 6 (Norway → Russia)
Airdate: October 31, 2010
- Narvik (Narvik Station) to Uppsala, Sweden (Uppsala Central Station)
- Stockholm (Stockholm-Arlanda Airport) to Saint Petersburg, Russia (Pulkovo Airport)
- Saint Petersburg (Vasilievsky Island – Birzhevaya Square (Rostral Columns))
- Saint Petersburg (Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace or Lenfilm)
- Saint Petersburg (Palace Square)
- Saint Petersburg (Alexandrovskaya – Neighborhood Store)
- Saint Petersburg (Alexander Garden overlooking Saint Isaac's Cathedral)
The Detour was a choice between Classical Music and Classic Cinema. In Classical Music, teams travelled to Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace and listened to three different compositions (Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, and Tchaikovsky's Troika) playing on three numbered gramaphones. They then entered a music hall full of pianists playing several different compositions and had to take a copy of the sheet music from the pianists playing each of the three compositions. Once the correct compositions were placed in the correct order, a maestro will give them their next clue. In Classic Cinema, teams traveled to Lenfilm and searched through several hundred filmstrips until they found one matching the film playing in the theatre (Sergei Eisenstein's October). When they showed the correct filmstrip to the projectionist, he would give the teams their next clue.
In this Roadblock, one team member had to dress up like a babushka, then pick up a sack of 50 potatoes, and fill a wheelbarrow with cow manure. A babushka then showed them how to properly plant the potatoes. Once the potatoes were planted, they receive their next clue from a babushka.
- Additional tasks
- Upon arrival at Saint Petersburg, teams have to find the Rostral Columns on Birzhevaya Square at the spit of Vasilievsky Island for the next clue.
- Depending of which Detour they complete, their next clue was given in a form of a record or a film canister, featuring a photo of the next destination that teams have to travel to: Palace Square.
Leg 7 (Russia)
Airdate: November 7, 2010
- Saint Petersburg (Avtovo Circus)
- Saint Petersburg (Bank Bridge)
- Saint Petersburg (1 Vladimirsky Prospekt Tower)
- Saint Petersburg (Church of the Savior on Blood)
- Saint Petersburg (Peter and Paul Fortress – Gorodki Courts)
- Saint Petersburg (Peter and Paul Fortress – Naryshkin Bastion)
The circus-inspired Detour tasks were between Circus Band and Circus Clown. In Circus Band, team members had to learn a Russian folk song (Ivan Larionov's Kalinka) for the accordion. Once they played the song correctly, the band leader would give them their next clue. In Circus Clown, teams had to learn plate spinning and get ten plates to spin without falling to receive their clue from a clown.
For the Roadblock of this leg, one team member had to clear three gorodki pin formations before the pins were reset to receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- After completing the Detour, teams began a "Russian mystery" task. The first clue was to find the canal bridge guarded by four creatures with golden wings: Bank Bridge, where the next clue told teams to head on foot (without their taxi leading them) to 1 Vladimirsky Prospekt's Tower. At the top of the tower, only two team members at a time were allowed to look around for a clue to the next location - a figurine of the Church of the Savior on Blood. After locating the Church on the skyline, teams then had to walk to the Church to get the next clue. Once they arrived at the Church, teams picked up the clue which said - "What am I? Peter the Great is buried inside me". Teams were instructed to find the burial site of Peter the Great: Peter and Paul Fortress, where the next clue was located.
Leg 8 (Russia → Oman)
Airdate: November 14, 2010
- Saint Petersburg (Senate Square – Bronze Horseman)
- Saint Petersburg (Pulkovo Airport) to Muscat, Oman (Muscat International Airport)
- Muscat (Riyam Park – Burj Al Mubkharah)
- Al Hamra (Jebel Shams)
- Nizwa (Stack of Books)
- Muttrah (Muttrah Souq)
- Muscat (Al Alam Palace)
During the Pit Stop, teams were moved to the nearby Senate Square in front of the Bronze Horseman statue to begin this leg of the race.
In this Roadblock, one team member have to rappel 500 feet (150 m) down the side of the mountain to a field of hundreds of oil lamps, a handful of which held Aladdin's magic ring. Once they found the lamp with the ring, they had to turn it in for their next clue.
The Detour in this leg was a choice between Water Table and Wedding Table. In Water Table, teams have to pump water from a well into a water truck and then drove back into town to deliver the water to their assigned house in the neighborhood of Aswat Al Eid. After delivering the water, the customer gave them their next clue. In Wedding Table, teams travelled to an Arab market and purchase 25 chickens and several other ingredients needed to serve the traditional Omani dish maqbous. Once the dish was complete, they have to serve the dish to a bride and groom for their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- Upon arriving at Muscat, teams made their way to the Burj Al Mubkharah in Riyam Park, where teams given small silver ingots with three separate times for the following morning. Their timings would determine which teams will climb the fort's watchtower.
- The clue after the watchtower instructs teams to drive themselves to the highest point of Oman, Jebel Shams, for the next clue.
- At Muttrah Souq, teams have to find the frankincense vendor, and then search the marketplace for "Ali Baba" to trade the frankincense for their next clue.
Leg 9 (Oman → Bangladesh)
Airdate: November 21, 2010
- Muscat (Muscat International Airport) to Dhaka, Bangladesh (Shahjalal International Airport)
- Dhaka (Sundarban Square Supermarket)
- Dhaka (Dhaka Harbor)
- Dhaka (Sadarghat)
- Dhaka (Nazira Bazaar – Tekka Mistiri Rickshaw Garage)
- Dhaka (Lalbagh Fort)
The Detour for this leg was a choice between Balanced Meal or Balanced Bricks. In Balanced Meal, teams have to pick up 30 filled tiffin carriers and took them by boat to a larger boat in the harbor. After lifting the lunches onto this boat, teams took ten empty carriers back to shore where they could exchange them for the next clue. In Balanced Bricks, teams had to unload bricks from a supply barge and carry them in baskets on their head to a shop in the market, without breaking any. Once they delivered 100 bricks, the shop manager will give them their next clue.
The Roadblock for the leg requires one team member to properly assemble a cycle rickshaw using the parts provided in order to receive their clue.
- Additional tasks
- At Sundarban Square Supermarket, teams have to search for a marked sugarcane stall. There, teams have to press sugarcane to collect its juice, and one team member would have to drink from it to receive the next clue.
- After completing the Detour, teams were instructed to go to Sadarghat for the new U-Turn twist (Double U-Turn). Afterwards, teams have to travel by cycle rickshaw to Nazira Bazaar for their next clue.
Leg 10 (Bangladesh → Hong Kong, China)
Airdate: November 28, 2010
- Dhaka (Shahjalal International Airport) to Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong , China (Hong Kong International Airport)
- and Central (Central Piers) to Cheung Chau, Islands District (Cheung Chau Ferry Pier)
- Cheung Chau (Cheung Po Tsai Cave)
- Cheung Chau (Cheung Chau Ferry Pier) to Kowloon (Kowloon Public Pier)
- Jordan (Majesty Chinese Restaurant)
- Tsim Sha Tsui (Avenue of Stars – Statue of Bruce Lee)
- Hong Kong Tramways or Aberdeen (Aberdeen Harbour)
- Central (Statue Square)
For this Roadblock, one team member had to use chopsticks to search among several plates of food on a buffet for one of five pieces of fake food normally used for display. Anything they pick up must be eaten. Once they picked up the fake food, they received their next clue.
The Detour was a choice between Ding Ding and Sampan. In Ding Ding, teams rode the Hong Kong Tramways, colloquially known as the "Ding Ding", looking for three signs (reading "Pit Stop", "Statue", and "Square") which revealed the location of the Pit Stop. In Sampan, teams went to the Jumbo Kingdom's dock and took a pair of budgerigars in a birdcage on a sampan, then they have to searching along the Aberdeen Harbour for a boat with the registration number matching the number on their birdcage. They could trade the birdcage for the location of the Pit Stop: Statue Square.
- Additional task
- At the Avenue of Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui, teams have to locate the Statue of Bruce Lee for the next clue.
Leg 11 (Hong Kong, China → South Korea)
Airdate: December 5, 2010
- Chek Lap Kok (Hong Kong International Airport) to Seoul, South Korea (Incheon International Airport)
- Cheorwon (Seung-il Bridge)
- Dongducheon (Camp Casey)
- Dongducheon (Dongducheon Station) to Seoul (World Cup Stadium Station)
- Seoul (Seoul World Cup Stadium)
- Seoul (Mokdong Ice Rink or Namdaemun Market)
- Seoul (Yeouido Hangang Park – Airplane Statue)
- Seoul (Temple of Heaven)
For this leg's Speed Bump, Nick & Vicki had to clean one of the M109 Self-Propelled Howitzers at the camp, however this task was not described by Phil on-air because they were falling much further behind the other teams from the previous leg.
For this Roadblock, one team member must have to pick a headband and then searched among two hundred soldiers practicing taekwondo for the one wearing a matching headband. Once they found the right soldier, the soldier broke open a wooden board that contained the next clue; if not, the soldier will take their the headband, and they had to retrieve another headband and start over.
The leg's Detour was a choice between Full Throttle or Full Bottle; for both Detours, teams were instructed to travel by subway or foot to the specified location. In Full Throttle, teams travelled to the Mok-dong Ice Rink and put on short track speed skating suits and completed a two-person skating relay of 24 laps of the rink before they were given their next clue. In Full Bottle, teams travelled to Namdaemun Market to put on delivery uniforms and then deliver six large glass jars of ginseng roots to a holistic wellness store without breaking any of them. When they were done, both team members had to finish a bottle of ginseng tonic before they could receive their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- Upon arriving at Seoul, teams have to drive towards North Korea to Seungil Bridge. There, teams had to whitewater raft down the Hantan River and board a Humvee that drove them to Camp Casey in Dongducheon, where the next clue was located.
- At Yeouido Hangang Park, teams have to search the park to find the Airplane Statue for their next clue.
Leg 12 (South Korea → United States)
Airdate: December 12, 2010
- Seoul (Incheon International Airport) to Los Angeles, California, USA (Los Angeles International Airport)
- Long Beach (Port of Long Beach – Pier J 266)
- Pasadena (Rose Bowl)
- Los Angeles (Quixote Studios)
- Beverly Hills (Greystone Mansion)
The final Roadblock of the race requires one team member to decorate three sections of the theme float for the Tournament of Roses Parade: gluing chrysanthemums to one section, placing roses in special vials of water and then placing them in a section of the float, and then covering a giant cardboard rose with finely ground straw to cover it with "natural materials" as stated in the rules for decorating the floats. When they completed the float sections correctly, the floral director told them that they could obtain their next clue from 2009 Rose Queen Courtney Lee.
- Additional tasks
- At Pier J at the Port of Long Beach, teams rode an elevator to the top of one of the pier's gantry cranes where they received their clue. They were then dropped from the crane on a tandem bungee swing over the water. Once they were on the pier they would read their clue which inform them they would be riding a helicopter to a surprise destination: the Rose Bowl.
- The clue after the Roadblock presented teams with three riddles to solve: (1) I am Sancho Panza's master (Don Quixote), (2) I am the place to hear The Symphony in the Glen (Griffith Park), (3) Monroe's Year of the Itch (The Seven Year Itch); Teams would combine the information to figure out their next destination was located at Quixote Studios' Stage 7 located in Griffith Park.
- At Quixote Studios, teams were put in front of a large game show-like board that flashed videos of 48 people wearing different kinds of hats, 11 of which were the greeters that welcomed them to the Pit Stops. Teams used a control panel to pick the greeters and place them in the order they appeared during the race. Once they had the correct individuals in the correct order, they could receive their final clue from game show host Bob Eubanks.
|1||September 26, 2010||"They Don't Call It The Amazing Race For Nothin!"||6.3||10||3.7/9||11.54||#2||#2||#26|
|2||October 3, 2010||"A Kiss Saves the Day"||6.2||10||3.4/9||10.67||#2||#2||#28||#25|
|3||October 10, 2010||"In Phil We Trust"||6.9||11||3.8/9||11.99||#3||#3||#20||#13|
|4||October 17, 2010||"We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads"||6.3||10||3.5/9||10.94||#2||#2||#21||#21|
|5||October 24, 2010||"Tastes Like a Million Dollars"||6.7||10||3.4/8||11.42||#2||#2||#20||#19|
|6||October 31, 2010||"Run, Babushka, Run"||5.3||9||2.6/7||9.09||#3||#3||(<#25)||(<#25)|
|7||November 7, 2010||"I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong"||6.5||10||3.3/8||11.01||#20||#23|
|8||November 14, 2010||"Ali Baba in a Suit"||6.0||9||2.8/7||10.34||#2||#2|
|9||November 21, 2010||"There's a Lot of Nuts and Bullets"||6.2||9||3.0/7||10.59||#2||#2||#24|
|10||November 28, 2010||"I Hate Chinese Food"||6.3||10||3.1/8||11.07||#13||#17|
|11||December 5, 2010||"I'm Surrounded by Ninjas"||6.1||9||3.1/8||10.34||#2||#2||#17||#14|
|12||December 12, 2010||"Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race"||7.0||11||3.7/9||12.12||#2||#2||#11||#10|
- Episode 6, "Run, Babushka, Run", aired on Halloween when viewership was down for all shows and where it went up against Sunday Night Football and Game 4 of the World Series.
|1||September 26, 2010||"They Don't Call It The Amazing Race For Nothin!"||2.438||#8|
|2||October 3, 2010||"A Kiss Saves the Day"||2.623||#3|
|3||October 10, 2010||"In Phil We Trust"||2.301||#7|
|4||October 17, 2010||"We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads"||2.989||#1|
|5||October 24, 2010||"Tastes Like a Million Dollars"||2.723||#2|
|6||October 31, 2010||"Run, Babushka, Run"||2.360||#6|
|7||November 7, 2010||"I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong"||2.674||#4|
|8||November 14, 2010||"Ali Baba in a Suit"||2.791||#2|
|9||November 21, 2010||"There's a Lot of Nuts and Bullets"||2.632||#3|
|10||November 28, 2010||"I Hate Chinese Food"||2.506||#4|
|11||December 5, 2010||"I'm Surrounded by Ninjas"||2.681||#1|
|12||December 12, 2010||"Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race"||2.738||#1|
- Episode 3, "In Phil We Trust", aired on the Sunday before Canadian Thanksgiving Day.
- Before Nat & Kat's victory, the first season of The Amazing Race Asia, which premiered in 2006, was won by an all-female team consisting of Malaysian co-workers Joe Jer Tee and Zabrina Fernandez. The Brazilian version known as A Corrida Milionária was also won by an all-female team consisting of friends Patrícia & Sane.
- CBS.com. "Application form" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on February 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Hibberd, James (Hollywood Reporter) (2010-11-03). ""Amazing Race" finally getting HD upgrade". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- CBSPressExpress.com. "CBS Renews the 17th Edition of The Amazing Race". Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- Rice, Lynette (2010-07-22). "CBS reveals fall premiere dates". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- Nudd, Tim (2010-09-01). "Beauty Queens, TV Hosts Set for New Season of The Amazing Race". People. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- "Good Morning Gloucester Exclusive – Gloucester Fishing Boats Transport CBS Amazing Race Contestants To Race Kick Off". GoodMorningGloucester. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
- "That's got to hurt! Amazing Race contestant has a gruesome run-in with a watermelon". The Daily Mail. London. 2010-09-09. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "Ouch! Amazing Race Contestant Gets Smacked in Face with Watermelon". People. 2010-09-08. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- Dahl, Melissa (2010-09-09). "How to take a watermelon smash to the face". MSNBC. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- CBS.com. "Eligibility Requirements" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on February 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- Bell, Carrie (2010-11-28). "Amazing Race's Chad and Stephanie Are Married and Expecting". People. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Reality TV World talks to someone involved with the race". Reality TV World. 2010-11-09. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- "Nick and Vicki of 'The Amazing Race' Only Regret Taking the Penalty". 2010-12-07
- Eng, Joyce (2010-12-06). "Amazing Race's Nick and Vicki: We Regret Taking the Six-Hour Penalty". TV Guide. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "CBS TV Schedule". CBS. Archived from the original on September 13, 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Episode Detail: Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm In a Race". TV Guide. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "Stornaustet" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- CBSPressExpress.com. "CBS Wins premiere week in viewers, adults 18–49 and adults 25–54". Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- CBSPressExpress.com. "CBS OPENS THE SEASON 2 FOR 2". Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- CBSPressExpress.com. "CBS EXTENDS 2010 SEASON WINNING STREAK TO THREE WEEKS". Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- "CBS GOES 4 FOR 4 TO OPEN THE SEASON |author=CBSPressExpress.com". Cbspressexpress.com. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- CBSPressExpress.com. "CBS GOES 5 FOR 5: ONLY 3RD TIME IN 23 YEARS A NET OPENS SEASON WITH 5 STRAIGHT WINS IN VIEWERS AND DEMOS". Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- TVbythenumbers.com. "TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: NFL, Modern Family, Glee, NCIS, DWTS Top Week 6 Viewing". Retrieved November 2, 2010.
- TVbythenumbers.com. "TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: Modern Family, Dancing With The Stars, Criminal Minds Top Week 7 Viewing". Retrieved November 9, 2010.
- "|title=CBS: A DECADE OF NOVEMBER SWEEP WINS |author=CBS Press Express". Cbspressexpress.com. Retrieved 2011-12-18.[dead link]
- CBSPressExpress.com. "CBS MARKS THANKSGIVING WEEK WITH ITS NINTH WIN IN 10 WEEKS AMONG VIEWERS". Retrieved December 1, 2010.
- TV By the Numbers (2010-12-07). %7C "TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: Sunday Night Football, Glee, Simpsons, NCIS, Grey's Anatomy Top Week 11 Viewing" Check
|url=value (help). Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- "|title=CBS IS #1 IN VIEWERS AND ADULTS 25-54 FOR THE 10TH TIME IN 11 WEEKS THIS SEASON |author=CBS Press Express". Cbspressexpress.com. Retrieved 2011-12-18.[dead link]
- "CBS #1 IN VIEWERS AND A25-54 FOR 11TH TIME IN 12 WEEKS". Cbspressexpress.com. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): September 20 – September 26, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. October 1, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): September 27 – October 3, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. October 8, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): October 4 – October 10, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. October 15, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): October 11 – October 17, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. October 22, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): October 18 – October 24, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. October 29, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): October 25 – October 31, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. November 5, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): November 1 – November 7, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. November 12, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): November 8 – November 14, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. November 19, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): November 15 – November 21, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. November 26, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): November 22 – November 28, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. December 3, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): November 29 – December 5, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. December 10, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Top Programs – Total Canada (English): December 6 – December 12, 2010" (PDF). BBM Canada. December 17, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2011.