|Industry||Retail / Grocery|
|Delivery: United States, Berlin, Hamburg, London, Milan, Munich, Tokyo, Singapore, and India|
Stores: Los Angeles, Chicago, London
Amazon Fresh is a subsidiary of the American e-commerce company Amazon.com in Seattle, Washington. It is a grocery delivery service currently available in most major U.S. cities, Berlin, Hamburg, London, Milan, Munich, Tokyo, Singapore and India. In 2020, Amazon Fresh opened several physical store locations in the United States. The first six stores opened in Los Angeles with three additional locations in Chicago.
History and business model
AmazonFresh has rolled out its services gradually, targeting specific parts of various metropolitan areas and partnering with local speciality stores for delivery of local items. The Amazon Fresh website allows potential customers to check availability by ZIP code.
In March 2017, Amazon announced the beta launch, on March 29, 2017, of Amazon Fresh Pickup, a drive-in-type grocery store for Amazon Prime subscribers. It's a delivery service that lets users shop online, reserve times to pick up the groceries, and have them loaded into their cars at the store.
On November 2, 2017, Amazon announced it was discontinuing its Fresh service to some smaller towns and cities in California, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
On December 13, 2019, Amazon announced its Fresh service will provide one and two hour delivery of meat, seafood, eggs, and produce in Tampa, Florida.
On March 4, 2021, the first Amazon Fresh store in Europe was opened, in the Ealing Broadway Centre shopping mall in Ealing, West London. The site previously had been occupied by the clothing retailer Monsoon Accessorize.
Amazon Fresh offers grocery items for sale, as well as a subset of items from the main Amazon.com storefront. Items ordered through Amazon Fresh are available for home delivery on the same day or the next day, depending on the time of the order and the availability of delivery slots.
- "Lieferdienst für Lebensmittel: In dieser deutschen Stadt will „Amazon Fresh" nun starten" [“Amazon Fresh” now wants to start in this German city]. Frankfurter Allgemeine (in German). November 8, 2017. ISSN 0174-4909. Retrieved February 19, 2020.
- "Amazon opens first Fresh grocery store, debuts high-tech shopping cart in retail expansion". GeekWire. August 27, 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2021.
- "First Amazon Fresh grocery store opens in Woodland Hills". abc7.com. August 27, 2020. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- staff, Chicago Tribune. "Amazon Fresh announces second Chicago-area grocery store opening". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved February 11, 2021.
- "Store Locations". www.amazon.com. Retrieved February 11, 2021.
- Etherington, Darrell (March 28, 2017). "Amazon debuts AmazonFresh Pickup, drive-up groceries delivered to your trunk". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Balakrishnan, Anita (March 28, 2017). "Amazon Prime members can soon buy groceries from their phones, and have them delivered to their cars". CNBC. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Heuzeroth, Thomas (May 4, 2017). "Amazon Fresh: Lebensmittelversand startet in Deutschland". DIE WELT. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Ruddick, Graham (February 29, 2016). "Amazon to start selling fresh and frozen Morrisons food". The Guardian. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (July 18, 2017). "Amazon's prepackaged Meal Kits are reportedly already on sale". The Verge. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- Del Rey, Jason (November 3, 2017). "Amazon is shutting down its Fresh grocery delivery service in parts of five states". Recode. Retrieved November 3, 2017.
- Goldschmidt, Bridget (December 13, 2019). "Amazon Fresh Grocery Delivery Coming to Tampa, Fla". Progressive Grocer. Retrieved December 26, 2019.
- Peterson, Hayley. "'It was like the Willy Wonka golden ticket': Amazon customer reveals his first experience inside the tech giant's new grocery store that just opened to the public". Business Insider. Retrieved September 26, 2020.
- "Amazon Fresh grocery store in Los Angeles opens to the public". Engadget. Retrieved September 26, 2020.
- Kelion, Leo (March 4, 2021). "Amazon Fresh till-less grocery store opens in London". BBC News. Archived from the original on March 4, 2021. Retrieved March 4, 2021.
- Cuthbertson, Anthony (March 2, 2021). "Amazon's first checkout-free supermarket is coming to the UK". The Independent. Archived from the original on March 2, 2021. Retrieved March 4, 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amazon Fresh.|
- Official website (US)