History and business model
AmazonFresh has rolled out its services gradually, targeting specific parts of various metropolitan areas and partnering with local speciality stores for delivery of local items. (The website allows users to check availability by ZIP code.)
- August 2007 - Mercer Island, Washington (near Seattle) - invitation-only beta test
- 2008 - Seattle area, including Kirkland and Bellevue
- June 2013 - Los Angeles
- December, 2013 - San Francisco
- July 2014 - San Diego
- October 2014 - New York City
- November 18, 2014 - Center City Philadelphia
- March 2015 - Baltimore, Maryland; Sacramento, California
- June, 2016 - Central and eastern London, Boston
In October 2015, Amazon followed through on its plan to require a special $299/year membership to use the AmazonFresh grocery delivery service in Seattle and other cities. The new requirement follows through on a plan that the company announced in December 2014.
At launch, London Amazon Fresh customers paid £6.99 per month on top of an Amazon Prime membership, plus delivery fees on any orders under £40.
AmazonFresh offers grocery items for sale, as well as a subset of items from the main Amazon.com storefront. Items ordered through AmazonFresh are available for home delivery on the same day or the next day, depending on the time of the order and the availability of trucks. Examples of grocery items for sale are pre-cooked turkeys, pumpkin pie, and wine.
- Harris, Craig; Cook, John (2007-08-01). "Amazon starts grocery delivery service". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "How do I shop AmazonFresh?". Archived from the original on July 21, 2009. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- AmazonFresh Grocery Delivery Service Now Available In Los Angeles Retrieved June 10, 2013
- Amazon.com launches AmazonFresh grocery service in San Francisco Retrieved December 13, 2013
- Katherine P. Harvey. "AmazonFresh rolls into San Diego". U-T San Diego.
- Todd Bishop, GeekWire. “After delay, AmazonFresh rolls out mandatory $299/year 'Prime Fresh' grocery membership.” October 17, 2015. October 19, 2015.
- "Home AmazonFresh". Archived from the original on July 7, 2009. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amazon Fresh.|