February 23, 1979
|Height||2.02 m (6 ft 8 in)|
Erika Ervin (born February 23, 1979), known professionally as Amazon Eve, is an American transgender model, fitness trainer, and actress. She has appeared on the cover of Australian magazine Zoo Weekly and played a recurring character on American Horror Story: Freak Show. At 6 feet 8 inches (2.03 m) tall, news stories have called her "the world's tallest model".
Early life and education
Ervin was born in Turlock, California and by age 14 was 5'11". She grew 9 inches taller over the next four years. Ervin attended college in the Bay Area of California and studied theater arts and business management.
Ervin ventured to obtain roles as an actress but gave up on the idea when she was constantly offered roles as an alien or monster. Later she studied law and exercise physiology. Tired of the office life that she had pursued and unhappy with her weight, she joined a gym but strived for an unrealistic size 0 physique that almost resulted in ending her life. Eventually she developed a healthier body image and began to view herself as a super-sized version of Super Woman and became a personal trainer devoted to instilling realistic expectations for herself and her clients. She tours the world participating in height comparison photo shoots and regular modeling jobs and posts her tour on her website.
In the September 2013 issue of Harper's Bazaar, Carine Roitfeld, former editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris, wrote an article, "Carine Roitfeld's 'Singular Beauties'", with photographs by Karl Lagerfeld. The article includes 25 models and is "an homage to the diversity of women". Among the models are Scarlett Johansson, Carmen Dell'Orefice (82 years old), Gabourey Sidibe, and Ervin who is paired with 5'9" Xiao Wen. There is also a video about the making of the article in which Xiao Wen and Ervin appear.
In 2004 Ervin transitioned from male to female, changing her name from William. In interviews Ervin has talked about the problems of being a tall woman. Other topics she has addressed include her troubles growing up dealing with teasing in high school, family problems and her modeling experience.
|2011||Google Maps is Watching You||N/A||Short film|
|2013||Family Tools||Tall Client Lady||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2013||Hemlock Grove||Shelley Godfrey||5 episodes|
|2014–2015||American Horror Story: Freak Show||Amazon Eve||13 episodes|
- Torbjörn Ek (2014-04-15). "Supermodellen Erika "Amazon Eve" Ervin: Jag föddes som William" [Supermodel Erika "Amazon Eve" Ervin: I was born as William] (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "Hoffman:At nearly 6 feet 9, Ervin stands tall". Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- Ortenzi, Tj (November 25, 2009). "Amazon Eve, Tall Model, Towers Above Others". The Huffington Post. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Amazon Eve is Not Your Typical Model". The Cleveland Leader. November 28, 2009. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Amazon Eve: World's Tallest Glamour Model In Pictures". Anorak news. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Wong, Curtis (October 7, 2014). "Transgender Actress Erika Ervin On Her 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Role". The Huffington Post. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Kar, Meena (January 21, 2010). "World's Tallest Model Amazon Eve Set To Appear In Cover Page Of Australian Magazine". Thaindian News. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- "The height of fashion: Meet Amazon Eve, the world's tallest model at 6ft 8in". Daily Mail. London. December 30, 2010.
- Martens, Maegan (January 7, 2011). "World's tallest model sprouts from Turlock". Turlock Journal. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- De Giorgio, Lorianna (March 2, 2011). "Amazon Eve: This model's not to scale". Toronto Star. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- Ashley (February 9, 2011). "World's Tallest Model Talks About Body Image :: Interview with Amazon Eve". nourishing the soul. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Tallest professional model". Guinness World Records. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- Roitfeld, Carine; Karl Lagerfeld (September 2013). "Carine Roitfelt's 'Singular Beauties'". Harper's Bazaar. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Roitfeld, Carine (September 2013). Behind-the-scenes video: Carine Roitfeld's Singular Beauties. 0:44: Harper's Bazaar. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Amazon Eve (March 8, 2011). "Meet Amazon Eve, The World's Tallest Model; Being tall". NewYorkLive (Interview). Interview with LX New York. New York: WNBC 4. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amazon Eve.|