Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kamaleshwar Mukherjee|
|Written by||Kamaleshwar Mukherjee|
by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
|Edited by||Raviranjan Maitra|
|Distributed by||Shree Venkatesh Films|
|Box office||est.₹ 48.63 crore|
Amazon Obhijaan (lit. The Amazon expedition) is a 2017 Indian action adventure film written and directed by Kamaleshwar Mukherjee and produced by Shrikant Mohta and Mahendra Soni under the banner of Shree Venkatesh Films. Starring Dev in the lead role of Shankar, it is the sequel to 2013 film Chander Pahar and the second installment of Chander Pahar film franchise. The film revolves around Shankar, an adventurer who along with a lady and her father, travels the Amazon in search of the City of Gold, El dorado.
Amazon Obhijaan happens to be the 100th film of the production house.The highest grossing Bengali film ever, it was released theatrically on 22 December 2017. On 5 January 2018, the film was dubbed and released in five languages: Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Odia and Assamese. It is also the first Bengali film to release theatrically in United Kingdom on 12 January 2018.
The sequel to the Chander Pahar series, the story begins with Shankar (Dev) living in his hometown when he is approached by a young woman named Anna Florian (Svetlana Gulakova) to accompany her and her father, Marco Florian (David James), in finding mythical El Dorado, the city of gold in Amazon. Thus, the journey of Shankar begins.
- Dev as Shankar Roy Chowdhury, protagonist of the story
- Laboni Sarkar as Shankar's mother
- Tamal Ray Chowdhury as Shankar's father
- David James as Marco Florian
- Svetlana Gulakova as Anna Florian
- Eduardo Munniz as Ankoma
In earlier 2014, according to a Bengali magazine, director Kamaleshwar Mukherjee has already penned the script, taking the story forward from where it left and Dev has been quoted as saying that the next location, after the African safari, will be the dense forests of Amazon rainforest. The film has been titled Amazon Obhijan. Shooting has been started from May 2016.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Please bring this section into conformity with WP:TRAILER. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The first teaser and poster released on 21 September 2017.
The film's official poster has been launched at the Mohun Bagan Ground, and made record of biggest film poster of history in India in 4 November 2017. It broke the previous record of Bahubali's poster and achieve Guinness book world record.
Amazon Obhijaan is a 2017 graphic novel based on the film of the same name. It is written by the film's director Kamaleswar Mukherjee, and is available in English and Bengali. The graphic novel acts as a promotional activity for the film. It was released on 11 November 2017.
Indraadip Dasgupta was signed to compose the songs of the film.
|Soundtrack album by Indraadip Dasgupta|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Shree Venkatesh Films / Sony Music India|
|Indraadip Dasgupta chronology|
|Singles from Amazon Obhijaan|
|1.||"Chol Naa Jai"||Prasen||Indraadip Dasgupta||Arijit Singh||02:19|
The Times of India rated the film 3/5, writing "One must watch the film. Not only because of its grandeur but also to savour Kamaleswar’s imagination. The mythic city of El Dorado is pretty much the same as we had imagined in childhood. And finally, the film ends where it all began — with a reference to Reader’s Digest, the book that opened up the idea of Shankar’s first adventure, Chander Pahar, many years ago.
- "Amazon Obhijaan: A monumental film in Bengali cinema". www.in.com. 2 December 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "SVF unveils biggest film poster for Bengali film 'Amazon Obhijaan'". Economic Times. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- "'Amazon Obhijan' becomes highest grossing Bengali film ever!". The Statesman. 16 January 2018.
- "Dev's Amazon adventure starts now! - Times of India". Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Locations of Dev's Amazon Obhijan will make you gasp - The Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Shree Venkatesh Films on a new high with its 100th film production". The Times of India.
- "South African actor David James recollects 'magical experience' of acting in Amazon Obhijaan". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 24 Nov 2017.
- "Dev, Kamaleswar planning Chander Pahar sequel!". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Teaser of 'Amazon Obhijaan' launched on digital platforms".
- Desk, India.com Buzz (5 November 2017). "Biggest Poster Measuring 60,800 Sq Ft of Bengali Film Amazon Obhijaan Launched At Mohun Bagan in Kolkata".
- Himatsingka, Anuradha (4 November 2017). "SVF unveils the biggest film poster for Bengali film 'Amazon Obhijaan'" – via The Economic Times.
- "Amazon Obhijaan trailer: From anacondas to panthers, this Bengali movie is making Twitter go WOW". Times Now. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Amazon Obhijaan trailer: Dev's film marks monumental feat for Bengali film industry". Firstpost. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "(bengali-movie-amazon-obhijaan-to-release-in-six-languages) హాలీవుడ్ రేంజ్లో మరో భారతీయ సినిమా!". 9 December 2017. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Amazon Obhijaan graphic novel launched".
- "Amazon Obhijaan graphic novel launched".
- "সবচেয়ে বড় পোস্টারের পর গ্রাফিক নভেল, ফের চমক 'আমাজন অভিযান'-এর".
- Amazon Obhijaan Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India