Amazon Product Advertising API
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Amazon's Product Advertising API, formerly Amazon Associates Web Service (A2S) and before that known as Amazon E-Commerce Service (ECS), is a web service and application programming interface (API) that gives application programmers access to Amazon's product catalog data. Accessible via either the SOAP or REST protocols it enables products to be listed and/or sold through third-party websites and applications. It is a product of Amazon Services, not to be confused with Amazon Web Services.
Amazon.com developed the Product Advertising API toward three classifications of users:
- Associates: third-party site owners wishing to build more effective sponsored affiliate links to Amazon products, thus increasing their referral fees
- Vendors: sellers on the Amazon platform looking to manage inventory and receive batch product data feeds
- Developers: third-party developers building Amazon-driven functionality into their applications
The API allows clients to search or browse Amazon.com's product catalog; to retrieve detailed product information, reviews, and images; and to interface with customer shopping carts. Purchases at Amazon through a third-party website or application allows the operators of that site to earn up to 8.5% in referral fees.
The motivation behind the free Product Advertising API is to give partners the opportunity to earn money by promoting for Amazon products. The access is given to developers of applications that primarily bring or at least seem to have the potential to bring gains to Amazon.
- "Product Advertising API". https://partnernet.amazon.de/: Amazon.de. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Product Advertising API". online: amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Product Advertising API". Product Advertising API. Amazon.com Inc. Archived from the original on 5 July 2011. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Efficiency Guidelines". https://partnernet.amazon.de/: Amazon.de. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Amazon EU Product Advertising API Licence Agreement". https://partnernet.amazon.de/: Amazon.de. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
Unsuitable applications include those that: (a) do not have as their principal purpose advertising and marketing the Amazon Site and driving sales of products and services on the Amazon Site; ...
- Paul Bausch (2003). Amazon Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips and Tools, O'Reilly Media. ISBN 0-596-00542-3.
- Jason Levitt (2005). The Web Developer's Guide to Amazon E-commerce Service: Developing Web Applications Using Amazon Web Services And Php, Lulu Press. ISBN 1-4116-2551-X.
- Amazon Product Advertising API (official site)