|Initial release||October 2012|
Amazon Redshift is an Internet hosting service and data warehouse product announced in November 2012 which forms part of the larger cloud-computing platform Amazon Web Services. It is built on top of technology from the massive parallel processing (MPP) data-warehouse company ParAccel (later acquired by Actian), to handle large scale data sets and database migrations. Redshift differs from Amazon's other hosted database offering, Amazon RDS, in its ability to handle analytics workloads on big data data sets stored by a column-oriented DBMS principle.
Amazon Redshift is based on an older version of PostgreSQL 8.0.2, and Redshift has made changes to that version. An initial preview beta was released on November 2012 and a full release was made available on February 15, 2013. The service can handle connections from most other applications using ODBC and JDBC connections.
Amazon has listed a number of business intelligence software proprietors as partners and tested tools in their "APN Partner" program. The company's business intelligence partners include Actian, Actuate Corporation, Alteryx, Dundas Data Visualization, IBM Cognos, Infor, Logi Analytics, Looker, MicroStrategy, Pentaho, Qlik, SiSense, Tableau Software, and Yellowfin. Partner companies providing data integration tools include Informatica, SnapLogic, Talend, Matillion, and Stitch. System integration and consulting partners include Accenture, Deloitte and DXC Technology.
- "Amazon Redshift: ParAccel in, costly appliances out". ZDNet. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Improve data processing performance on AWS Redshift by 200%". Ardentisys.com.
- "Redshift and PostgreSQL". AWS. Amazon.
- "Unsupported PostgreSQL features". AWS. Amazon.
- "Amazon Debuts Low-Cost, Big Data Warehousing". Information Week. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Louwers, Johan (February 1, 2014). "Amazon Redshift cloud based data warehouse service". johanlouwers.blogspot.co.uk..
- "Amazon Redshift Partners", AWS Partner Network, Amazon, 2017-02-06, archived from the original on 2017-02-06.
- "APN - Amazon Redshift Partners - Pentaho". AWS. Amazon.
Pentaho has certified its business analytics and data integration platform to work with Amazon Redshift.
- "Amazon Web Services". Pentaho.com.
then transformed, refined, and immediately pushed into Amazon Redshift.