|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC3)|
In addition to primary schooling the town offers secondary education at both junior and senior levels. The town has a permanent court and hospital. There is a technical & professional Lycee in Ambanja, and a school of agriculture.
The town is seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ambanja.
The majority 60% of the population are farmers, while an additional 2% receives their livelihood from raising livestock. The most important crop is cocoa, while other important products are coffee, rice and vanilla. Industry and services provide employment for 26% and 2% of the population, respectively. Additionally fishing employs 10% of the population.
References and notes
- (in French) Monographie de la Région Diana
- Estimated based on DEM data from Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
- "ILO census data". Cornell University. 2002. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Atlas Mondial, France Loisir, page 159
- "Accueil" (Archive). École Primaire Française d'Ambanja. Retrieved on May 4, 2015.
- "École primaire française Charles-Baudelaire." AEFE. Retrieved on May 4, 2015.