|Born||Guwahati, Assam, India|
|Occupation(s)||Music Composer, producer, drummer, guitarist|
Ambar Das (born 10 March 1974) is a music composer, producer, drummer  and guitarist of repute from Guwahati, Assam .He has worked in several musical bands and composed background scores for some serials, documentaries and Hindi as well as other regional language films.He also composed jingles for advertisement industry.
Schooling and College
Ambar Das did his schooling from Nichols English School Guwahati, Chatribari and Happy Child High school,in Rehabari, Guwahati. He attended Cotton College in Guwahati and did Masters in English Literature.
Ambar Das was born on 10 March 1974 in Bharalumukh,Guwahati .His father late Bholanath Das was a scholar and a Under secretary of education to the govt of Assam, and mother late Sailabala Das was a singer and a lyricist of repute. Ambar Das is currently based in Mumbai with his wife Sarmistha Chakravorty, a reputed singer by profession with their four-year-old son Zion.
Ambar studied Music and Compositions with Late Jiten Baruah,who was a musician of national repute, and one of the pioneers in initiating western orchestration into Assamese music. He learnt the drums and other Percussions from elder brother Late Bhaskar Das, one of the foremost drummers in the north-east region in the early 80’s. He later studied jazz drumming under Mr Jurgen Busse a respected Jazz drummer and music teacher from Hamburg, Germany. He learnt Guitar and the nuances of music arrangements from Late Rana Roy, a musical giant and the lead guitarist of the Fusion Band ‘Karma’ of Kolkata.
Ambar Das has been a part of some bands of national and international repute, such as: Soulmate Band (Shillong, Meghalaya), FAITH (Mumbai), VOODOO CHILD (Assam), BAND OF BROTHERS (an Indo/German fusion band), CRYSTAL ANN (Assam), MONTHSMIND (Assam), CHOCOLATES N CIGGERRETES (Assam/Hyderabad), EAST INDIA COMPANY (Delhi), WARKLUNG (A Karbi progressive folk/fusion band), and currently SWAR@AJ, FLOATING BOOTS COLLECTIVE (a band composed of artists from various genres and countries) and THE MUMBAI MARIACHIS (an Indo-Australian Gypsy Jazz band) etc.… he has also been an active member of Cantare, one of the foremost choirs in Assam. Moreover, he has been actively involved in the regional music scene and has accompanied artist such as the legendary Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, Zubin Garg (Ya Ali fame), Angarag (Papon) Mahanta, Santa Uzir and many more artists. As a music producer in Mumbai, he has worked with such big names such as Shankar Mahadevan, Sonu Nigam, and Sukhwinder Singh to name a few.
Ambar Das entered into the Professional Music Scenario first as a Stage Musician and accompanist in percussions and Guitar since 1985. He moved on to Professional Music Arrangement and Programming in 1998 with his first audio Album "Porisoy Bihin", sung by various renowned artistes of Assam. Till date Ambar has 73 audio Albums to his credit. Other than Audio Albums, he has worked for many, Feature Films, Tele Films and Jingles as a Music Composer and Programmer.
Television and Films Background Music and Jingles:
Ambar scored music for a host of serials and documentaries for DISCOVERY, BBC, NAT-GEO, DDK, PPC, NETV, RONG, NEWSLIVE, ZEE TV, UTV BINDAS, Sony, COLORS and STAR PLUS, STAR WORLD. As a music composer of jingles, he has done music for most major brands such as Standard Chartered Bank, Louis Philippe, Adidas, Lufthansa, Nestle, Incredidible India, Skill India, Hindustan Unilever Limited, Dabur, Haier, LG, Onida, Ford, Citibank, Tvs motors, Hero Honda, Myntra, Shopclues etc.
He did the score for the Indian adaptation of the play An Inspector Calls, written by English dramatist J. B. Priestley. and A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams.
Recent did the music production for the Hindi adaptation of Henrik Ibsen's play Peer Gynt. It's called Pir Ghani and is Written by Ila Arun Directed by KK Raina.
Feature Films (Assamese):
Ambar worked as a music supervisor and sound recordist for the following Regional/Assamese Feature Films:
- Maa Tumi Ananya (directed by Munna Ahmed)
- Mon Birinar Jui (directed by Ashok Bishaya)
- Sangram (directed by Kripal Kalita)
- Aru Kisu Xomoi (directed by Jayashree Chakraborty)
Feature Films Background scores:
- THE DARK SECRETS OF THE TONHI (Hindi movie on the prevalent practices of witch hunting in Chattishgarh).
- ZINDAGI ON THE ROCKS (Hindi movie, a romantic supernatural thriller).
- BANGLA NAACHE BHANGRA (A Bengali commercial movie from award-winning Director/producer Nitesh Sharma)
- Did the music for a world music album entitled "Love Bandish Bliss" by renowned classical Shucheta Bhattacharjee, featuring legends such as Pt Mani Prasad and Ustad Rashid Khan. The album was released by Times Music.
- Produced the Borgeet Pawe Pori Hori for the album Bohnimaan sung by Mizee Geetashree, and released by Times Music.
- Working on another world fusion album for Times Music featuring International legends such as George Brooks saxophone wizard from the U.S.A. the Indian Jazz legend Louis Banks, famed Percussionist Bikram Ghose.
- The band SWAR@AJ composed of popular Bollywood singer Arnab Chakrabarty, known composer and pianist Dony Hazarika, and Ambar Das, has been signed by HMV to promote Indian Music globally, as a part of the 100 years of Indian Cinema celebrations. They will be doing Retro Covers of popular songs.