This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• President नगराध्यक्षा||प्रज्ञा बनसोडे|
|• Total||38 km2 (15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||35 m (115 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
|MP खासदार||Shrikant Shinde श्रीकांत शिंदे|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ambernath|
|MLA आमदार||Balaji Kinikar बालाजी किणीकर|
Ambarnath is part of Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR). The name Ambarnath literally means Sky-Lord. Ambarnath is the site of an old temple (Shiva Temple) dedicated to Lord Shiva, dating back, to 1060 AD. The temple is carved out of stone in Hemadpanthi architectural style of construction. Ambarnath lies on Mumbai to Pune railway route. Most people rely on the railway link to commute to Mumbai for work. Like all Mumbai suburbs Ambarnath is divided into Ambarnath East and Ambarnath West by the railway. Ambarnath west is in an industrial zone and is home to hundreds of small and large chemical factories. An Ordnance Factory of the Ordnance Factories Board has been established by the Government of India which is one of the reasons for Ambarnath developing into a residential neighbourhood. A large manufacturing facility of WIMCO, India's largest manufacturer of safety matchsticks, is also located in Ambarnath on the Kalyan-Badlapur Road. Ambarnath is also famous for its Shiva temple, which is located in Ambarnath East.
Suryodaya Housing Society of Ambernath east is one of the richest housing societies in Thane district and has 101.6 acres of land in its possession.
Merwyn Fernandes, a former Indian hockey player, played for the famous Indian Airlines hockey team in the 1970s. He represented India in 1980, 1984 and the 1988 Summer Olympics. He was part of the Indian hockey team that won the gold medal Summer Olympics at Moscow. He also received the Arjuna award.
Previous and sitting MLAs from Ambernath Assembly Constituency
|1978||Patil Jagannath Shivram||GEN||Janata Party (JNP)||M||33087|
|1980||Patil Nakul Pundalik||GEN||INC(I)||M||31365|
|1985||Patil Nakul Pundalik||GEN||Indian National Congress (INC)||M||37037|
|1990||Sabir Shaikh||GEN||Shiv Sena (SHS)||M||71322|
|1995||Sabir Shaikh||GEN||Shiv Sena (SHS)||M||119283|
|1999||Sabir Shaikh||GEN||Shiv Sena (SHS)||M||64674|
|2004||Kathore Kisan Shankar||GEN||Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)||M||114675|
|2009||Dr. Balaji Kinikar||(SC)||Shiv Sena (SHS)||M||50470|
|2014||Dr. Balaji Kinikar||(SC)||Shiv Sena (SHS)||M||47000|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ambarnath.|
- "Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority - Ambernath, Kulgaon-Badlapur and Surrounding Notified Area". Mmrda.maharashtra.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "Ambarnath Temple - Ambarnath, Ambarnath Temple Maharashtra". Maharashtratourism.net. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "ITC shuts down 2 Wimco units: The Hindu Business Line - Mobile edition". M.thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- N. Ganesh (February 2009). "ambernath housing society gets reprieve and an option". Archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved April 2015. Check date values in:
- "Arjuna Awards in Hockey - Sanabung Manipur". Arjuna Awards in Hockey - Sanabung Manipur. Sanabung Manipur. Retrieved 8 October 2011.