|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
An image of Ambika in Cave 34 of the Ellora Caves
|Part of a series on|
In Jainism, Ambika (Sanskrit: अम्बिका, Odia: ଅମ୍ବିକା Ambikā "Mother") or Ambika Devi (अम्बिका देवी Ambikā Devī "the Goddess-Mother") is the Yakṣi "dedicated attendant deity" or Śāsana Devī "protector goddess" of the 22nd Tirthankara, Neminatha. She is also known as Ambai, Amba, Kushmandini and Amra Kushmandini.
A sculpture of Ambika was discovered at Karajagi village in Haveri taluk. The sculpture has a two-line Sanskrit inscription in Nagari script about the date of its installation - “Ambikadevi, Shaka 1173, Virodhikrit. Samvatsara, Vaishakha Shuddha 5, Guruvara.” This corresponds to Thursday, April 27, 1251 AD.
According to the tradition, her colour is golden and her vehicle is lion. She has four arms. In her two right hands she carries a mango and in the other a branch of a mango tree. In one of her left hands, she carries a rein and in the other she has her two sons, Priyankara and Shubhankara.
Temples dedicated to Ambika
The major temples of Shri Ambika Devi include:
- Shri Neminath Adhisthayaka Nagotra Solanki Gotria Kuladevi Shri Ambikadevi Jinalaya in Santhu near Bagra (Marwar)|Bagra, in Jalore district of Rajasthan state.
- Shri Kuladevi Ambikadevi Jain Temple, Takhatgarh in Pali district of Rajasthan state.
- Shri Kuladevi Ambikadevi Jain Temple, Padarli in Rajasthan state.
Goddess Ambika idol from Orissa carved during 1150-1200 AD
- Rare sculpture of Jain Yakshi found in Haveri Taluk, The New Indian Express, 18 October 2013
- Tiwari, M.N.P. (1989). Ambika in Jaina arts and literature, New Delhi: Bharatiya Jnanpith.
- Shah, Umakant P. (1987), Jaina-rūpa-maṇḍana: Jaina iconography, Abhinav Publications, ISBN 81-7017-208-X
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ambika.|
- An image of Ambikā Devī in the British Museum, London
- An Image of Yaksha & Yakshini of 22nd Trithankara Neminatha
- Album of Photographs of Shri Ambika Devi
- An Image of Shri Ambikadevi, Munigiri, Tamil Nadu
- A Picture of Shri Ambikadevi, Jain Thirthankaras & Acharyas
- An Image of Shri Ambikadevi in Chennai Museum
- One of the images of Shri Ambikadevi carved in various forms at Jagat