||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
U.K. theatrical poster
|Directed by||Daniel Parkes|
|Produced by||Itsuka Yamasaki
|Written by||Itsuka Yamasaki
Kristina Anne Howell
|Music by||Iain Cameron|
|Edited by||Daniel Parkes|
Parkes Productions Ltd
Ambleton Delight is a 2009 British independent drama film. Filmed exclusively in East Sussex, UK it is directed by Brighton and Hove based Daniel Parkes, based on a script by Japanese writer Itsuka Yamasaki and Ben Rohde, produced by Sinéad Ferguson and starring veteran Coronation Street actor Brian Capron.
The production company is Parkes Productions Ltd based in the Brighton Marina on the south coast of England.
The film score was composed by Iain Cameron and includes appearances by British bands Swallowing Shotguns and MellowSun.
It is a drama based on a true story, set in a small contemporary Sussex village by the name of Ambleton during the apple harvest season. When Ambleton is faced with a proposal for a nearby motorway, the mayor (Brian Capron) is quick to reject it in an effort to protect the tranquility of the village. However, forward thinking restaurant chef and councilor John Miller (Jos Lawton) embraces the proposal, seeing it as an opportunity to increase business. The ensuing standoff not only divides the community, but the ramifications ultimately lead to devastation and inspiration, as observed through the eyes of a young restaurant pianist and would-be filmmaker (Michael Dyllan). The story resonates with themes of discrimination, youth unemployment and small town politics.
- Brian Capron as village mayor Michael Keane
- Jos Lawton as John Miller
- Michael Dyllan as Chris Philips
- Chris Marshall as Narrator/Real Chris Philips
- Kristina Anne Howell as Kate Miller
- Samantha Bolter as Claire
- Dan Smith as Wayne
- Peter Allen as Andy
- Andrew Elias as Colin Wilkinson
- John Hayden as Don Wilkinson
- James Charles as Henry Freeman
- Judith Ellis-Jones as Mary Freeman
- Matthew Heggis as Olly
- Sofia Sanchez as Sofia Sanchez
- Shirley Jaffe as Irene Philips
- Duncan Armitage as Paul Fraser
- Henry Page as Tommy
- Natasha Gharbawi as young Sofia
From script development to production to final cut, Ambleton Delight was completed within a total of 9 nine months. Principal photography consisted of twelve separate shoot days, mostly nights and weekends, between November 2008 and January 2009. Second unit photography was completed in March 2009. It was premiered in April 2009.
Filming was completed using digital cinematography by way of the JVC GYHD201 camera recording 720p at 25fps to harddrive and tape. 35mm lenses were used to attain a cinematic shallow depth of field via the SGPro relay adapter.
Ambleton Delight received mixed to positive reviews. On the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), the film holds a score of 6.2 out of 10, based on 9 reviews.
The film was premiered at The End of the Pier International Film Festival and won Best UK Feature 2009. Jos Lawton won Best Actor at the 2009 International Filmmaker Festival. The film also picked up Best Feature Film at the British Independent Film Festival 2010.
Next-to-nothing budget blog
With interest in how the film was produced on a low budget, The Recipe to Ambleton Delight blog detailing production information and tips was started in August 2009 along with a popular 8 part video series on YouTube.
- Official website, http://www.ambletondelight.co.uk
- 2009 winners, The End of the Pier International Film Festival, http://www.eotpfilmfestival.com/?q=node/25
- 2009 winners, International Filmmaker Festival, http://www.filmmakerfestival.com/2009.html
- British Independent Film Festival 2010, http://www.britishindependentfilmfestival.com/2.html
- How to Make a Next-to-Nothing Budget Feature Film, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEDHAUpqLY