|Founded||December 16, 2015|
Universal City, California,
Storyteller Distribution Co., LLC, d/b/a Amblin Partners, is the successor to the live-action counterpart of DreamWorks and a production company, led by Steven Spielberg, that develops and produces films using the Amblin Entertainment, DreamWorks Pictures and Participant banners and includes Amblin Television. The company's investment partners include Participant, Reliance Entertainment, Entertainment One, Alibaba Pictures and Universal Pictures. Films produced by Amblin Partners are mostly distributed by Universal and by third-party distributors through Mister Smith Entertainment in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Amblin Partners was founded by Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll of Participant Media, Anil Ambani of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group and Darren Throop of Entertainment One on December 16, 2015. The company will primarily focus on producing and distributing films and television using the DreamWorks Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Participant Media brands. For films, it uses the original DreamWorks label for mature content, Amblin label for family-friendly content, and Participant label for social justice content, although the latter remains a separate company.
On the same day as the company's formation, Amblin Partners announced that it entered into a five-year distribution deal with Universal Pictures by which the films will be distributed and marketed by either the main Universal banner or its specialty label, Focus Features. The Girl on the Train was the first film released under the new agreement. Mister Smith Entertainment, which began its international distribution deal with DreamWorks in 2012, continues to handle distribution sales for Amblin Partners in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
On October 9, 2016, Amblin Partners struck a deal with China's Alibaba Pictures, in which Alibaba acquired a minority equity stake in the company and will handle marketing, distribution support and merchandising of Amblin Partners films in China in addition to co-financing Amblin and DreamWorks films worldwide. On February 15, 2017, Comcast's Universal acquired a minority stake in Amblin Partners, strengthening the relationship between Universal and Amblin, and reuniting a minority percentage of the DreamWorks Pictures label with its former animation division DreamWorks Animation, which was acquired by Universal's parent company NBCUniversal on August 22, 2016.
On August 22, 2019, Hasbro announced that it will acquire Entertainment One for at least $4 billion. The acquisition was completed on December 30, 2019, resulting in the toy company inheriting eOne's stake in Amblin Entertainment and DreamWorks Pictures. On May 5, 2020, Amblin renewed its deal with Nordisk Film.
|Title||Release date||Co-production||Film distributor|
|Come Play||October 30, 2020||The Picture Company||Focus Features|
|BIOS||April 16, 2021||Amblin Entertainment, ImageMovers, Dutch Angle, Playtone, Alibaba Pictures, and Misher Films||Universal Pictures|
|West Side Story||December 10, 2021||20th Century Studios and Amblin Entertainment||Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures|
|Stillwater||TBA||Participant Media, Anonymous Content, Slow Pony and 3dot Productions||Focus Features|
|The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara||DreamWorks Pictures and Amblin Entertainment||Universal Pictures|
|Untitled Blackhawk film||Warner Bros. Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, DC Entertainment||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|The Color Purple||Warner Bros. Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, Harpo Films and Scott Sanders Productions|
|Cheshire Crossing||De Luca Productions||TBA|
|The Good House||TriBeCa Productions and FilmNation Entertainment|
- Frater, Patrick (October 9, 2016). "Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners Inks Strategic Pact With Alibaba Pictures". Variety. Retrieved February 24, 2017.
- Perry, Spencer (February 15, 2017). "Universal Studios Buys a Minority Stake in Amblin Partners". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Reliance Entertainment and Entertainment One Form Amblin Partners, a New Film, Television and Digital Content Creation Company". Participant Media. December 16, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- Lang, Brent (December 16, 2015). "Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll Bring Amblin Partners to Universal". Variety. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (November 4, 2016). "AFM: Mister Smith Pacts Power its Picture Pipeline". Variety. Retrieved August 27, 2020.
- Cieply, Michael (December 16, 2015). "Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks Studios in Deal to Form New Company". The New York Times. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- "Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks Relaunches as Amblin Partners". The Wall Street Journal. December 16, 2015. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- Busch, Anita (December 16, 2015). "It's Official: Spielberg, DreamWorks, Participant, eOne, Others Pact For Amblin Partners". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Pamela McClintock; Gregg Kilday (December 16, 2015). "Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll Team to Form Amblin Partners, Strike Distribution Deal With Universal". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- Fritz, Ben (August 29, 2012). "DreamWorks replaces Disney with new international partner". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 27, 2020.
- Faughnder, Ryan. "Universal buys minority stake in Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners". latimes.com. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- Lieberman, David (February 15, 2017). "Universal Buys Minority Stake In Amblin Partners". Deadline. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- "Universal Acquires Minority Stake in Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners". TheWrap. February 15, 2017. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (August 22, 2016). "Comcast Completes $3.8 Billion Purchase of DreamWorks Animation".
- "Amblin Partners Inks Exclusive Music-Publishing Deal With BMG". December 18, 2017.
- Low, Elaine (August 22, 2019). "Hasbro Acquires Entertainment One in $4 Billion All-Cash Deal". Variety. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Kay, Jeremy (May 5, 2020). "Amblin Partners, Nordisk Film renew distribution pact". Screen. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- Hermanns, Grant (September 27, 2018). "How to Train Your Dragon 3 Release Date Moved Up One Week". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Douglas, Edward (February 12, 2018). "Amblin Partners, Picture Co. Turning Jacob Chase Horror Short "Larry" into Feature". The Tracking Board. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- Matt Damon To Star In ‘Stillwater’ Film With Tom McCarthy Attached To Direct
- Abigail Breslin Joins Matt Damon in ‘Stillwater’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- Participant Media Ups Jeannine Tang To General Counsel
- Masters, Kim (June 16, 2016). "Steven Spielberg on DreamWorks' Past, Amblin's Present and His Own Future". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (April 11, 2016). "Mark Rylance to Reteam With Steven Spielberg in 'The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara'". Variety. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (April 17, 2018). "Steven Spielberg Set To Produce His First DC Film Blackhawk With Eye On Directing". Deadline. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (November 15, 2019). "Amblin, Michael De Luca Tackling Martian Author's Fantasy Graphic Novel Cheshire Crossing (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- Sigourney Weaver & Kevin Kline Reteam For Amblin Partners' 'The Good House'