The Ambrosetti Forum - organized by The European House - Ambrosetti, a consulting firm - is an annual international economic conference held at Villa d'Este, in the Italian town of Cernobbio on the shores of Lake Como. Since its inception in 1975, the Forum has brought together heads of state, ministers, Nobel laureates and businessmen to discuss current challenges to the world's economies and societies.
The Forum presents forecasts of the economic and geo-political outlooks for the world, Europe and Italy. The forum also analyzes the main scientific and technological developments and their impacts on the future of business and society. This is accomplished through meetings, debates and presentations of special, ad hoc studies.
Participants and speakers
Forum participants, typically business leaders from major Italian and international corporations, are privately invited.
Among those who have taken part in recent years: H.S.H. Albert II, Prince of Monaco, José María Aznar, Silvio Berlusconi, Joe Biden, Ian Bremmer, Richard Cheney, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, Renato Dulbecco, José Manuel Durão Barroso, Larry Ellison, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, François Fillon, Bill Gates, Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, Felipe González, Neville Isdell, Alain Juppé, Henry Kissinger, Vaclav Klaus, Christine Lagarde, Rita Levi Montalcini, Abu Mazen, John McCain, Mario Monti, Giorgio Napolitano, Shimon Peres, Romano Prodi, Jean-Pierre Raffarin, H.M. Rania Al-Adullah Queen of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Card. Joseph Ratzinger, Michel Rocard, Nouriel Roubini, Eric Schmidt, Helmut Schmidt, George Shultz, Giulio Tremonti, Jean-Claude Trichet, Umberto Veronesi, James Wolfensohn, Jimmy Wales, Gianroberto Casaleggio.
The event takes place behind closed doors, under the Chatham House Rule.
Media coverage of the event is very relevant, given the presence of over 400 Italian and international journalists.
In addition, BBC World, CNBC, CNN, Financial Times and RAI produce talk shows and in-depth live interviews with the speakers of the Forum for broadcast around the globe.
- The economic outlook
- China after the global crisis
- Today the world of tomorrow – Scientific and technological developments
- Leadership today and sustainable development
- The education challenge
- Agenda for Europe:
- Speech by the President of the Italian Republic Giorgio Napolitano
- Progress report from the EU Council Presidency
- European governance after the Lisbon Treaty
- Europe and the crisis: Euro and financial market stability
- Europe and growth: single market and competitiveness
- The excellent company, today
- Italy in the global outlook:
- Competitiveness and development
- Presentation of research results: “Nuclear for the economy, environment and development”
- Industrial relations and welfare
- Competitiveness of the Italian public sector
- Presentation by the Italian Minister for the Economy and Finance
- Angelino Alfano - Minister of Justice, Italy
- Joaquín Almunia - European Commissioner for Competition
- José Maria Aznar - former Prime Minister, Spain
- Michel Barnier - European Commissioner for Internal Market and Services
- Maria Bartiromo - Anchor, CNBC
- Fatih Birol - Chief Economist, IEA (International Energy Agency)
- Alberto Bombassei - Vice President for Industrial Relations, Social Affairs and Welfare, Confindustria, Italy
- Raffaele Bonanni - Secretary General, CISL, Italy
- Renato Brunetta - Minister for Public Administration and Innovation, Italy
- George W. Buckley - Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, 3M, USA
- Fabrizio Capobianco - CEO TOK.tv, President and Chairman Funambol
- Cheng Siwei - Dean, Management School, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Science, China; former Vice Chairman, Standing Committee, National People’s Congress, China
- Piercamillo Davigo - Judge of the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation
- Ferruccio De Bortoli - Editor in Chief, Il Corriere della Sera
- Piero Fassino - Member of the Italian Parliament
- Niall Ferguson - Professor of History, Harvard University
- Mauro Ferrari - President and Chief Executive Officer, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Houston
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi - President, Observatoire Français des Conjonctures Economiques
- Mariastella Gelmini - Minister of Education, University and Research, Italy
- Máire Geoghegan-Quinn - European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science
- Yasuchika Hasegawa - President and CEO, Takeda Pharmaceutical, Japan
- Huang Jing - Visiting Professor, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
- Pietro Ichino - Member of the Senate, Italy
- Harold Kroto - Nobel Laureate for Chemistry; Francis Eppes Professor of Chemistry, Florida State University
- Christine Lagarde - Minister of Economy, Industry and Employment, France
- Anne Lauvergeon - CEO, Areva; France
- Yves Leterme - Prime Minister, Belgium
- Enrico Letta - Member of the Italian Parliament
- Li Yuguang - Deputy Director, State Intellectual Property Office of the People’s Republic of China
- Edison Liu - Executive Director, Genome Institute of Singapore
- Emma Marcegaglia - President, Confindustria, Italy
- Roberto Maroni - Minister for Internal Affairs, Italy
- Mario Monti - President, Bocconi University, Italy
- Kenneth P. Morse - Member, National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship (U.S. Department of Commerce); Founding Managing Director, MIT Entrepreneurship Center; Chair in Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Competitiveness, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
- Amre Moussa - Secretary General, League of Arab States
- Wolfgang Munchau - Associate Editor, Financial Times
- Giorgio Napolitano - President of the Italian Republic - live, in videoconference
- Joaquín Navarro-Valls - President Advisory Board, Campus Bio-Medico University, Rome; President, Telecom Italia Foundation
- Tommaso Padoa-Schioppa - President, Notre Europe, France
- Corrado Passera - Managing Director and CEO, Intesa Sanpaolo, Italy
- Shimon Peres - President, State of Israel
- Charles David Powell - House of Lords, UK
- it:Federico Rampini - Correspondent from the USA, La Repubblica
- Marco Reguzzoni - Member of the Italian Parliament
- Jonas Ridderstråle - Visiting Professor, Ashridge Business School (UK); Writer
- Gianni Riotta - Editor in Chief, Il Sole 24 Ore
- Sergio Romano - Columnist
- Nouriel Roubini - Professor of Economics and International Business, Stern School of Business, New York University, USA
- Card. Camillo Ruini - President of the Cultural Project Committee, Italian Episcopal Conference (CEI)
- Elena Salgado - Minister for the Economy and Finance, Spain
- Wolfgang Schüssel - Former Federal Chancellor, Austria
- Hans-Werner Sinn - Professor of Economics and Public Finance, University of Munich; Director of CES-Center for Economic Studies (University of Munich); President, Ifo Institute for Economic Research, Germany
- Peter Sutherland - President, Goldman Sachs International, UK
- Antonio Tajani - Vice-President, European Commission and European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship
- Giulio Tremonti - Minister for the Economy and Finance, Italy
- Jean-Claude Trichet - President, European Central Bank
- Edwin Truman - Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics, USA.
- Matti Vanhanen - Former Prime Minister, Finland
- Yanis Varoufakis - Finance Minister of Greece.
- Umberto Veronesi - Director, European Institute of Oncology
- Jimmy Wales - Founder, Wikipedia
- "Villa d'Este International Workshop". Financial Times. Archived from the original on 17 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- "Ambrosetti Forum". SecuringAmerica.com. Retrieved 2008-09-06.