Modigliani Quartet is a French string quartet founded in Paris in 2003 by four close friends, following their studies at the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris.
|Members||Amaury Coeytaux, Loïc Rio (violin); Laurent Marfaing (viola); François Kieffer (cello)|
They studied with the Ysaÿe Quartet in Paris, attended masterclasses by Walter Levin and György Kurtág in 2004, and had the opportunity to work with the Artemis Quartet at the Universität der Künste in Berlin in 2005. They attracted international attention by winning the Frits Philips String Quartet competition in Eindhoven (2004), the Vittorio Rimbotti competition in Florence (2005) and the Young Concert Artists Auditions in New York (2006).
The Modigliani Quartet plays in venues like Wigmore Hall, Carnegie Hall, Amsterdam's Concertgebouw, Berlin's Konzerthaus, Brussels's Bozar, Vienna's Musikverein and Konzerthaus, Salzburg's Mozarteum, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Cité de la Musique, Lucerne Festival, Schwetzingen Festival, Rheingau Festival, Kissinger Sommer, Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival, Gstaad Menuhin Festival, Schwarzenberg Schubertiade, Washington DC's Library of Congress, Marlboro Festival, Luxemburg's Philharmonie, Zurich's Tonhalle, Munich's Herkulessaal, La Fenice in Venice...
In 2014, the Modigliani Quartet became Artistic Directors of the Rencontres musicales d'Evian. After a 13-year pause, the festival, made famous by its former legendary artistic director Mstislav Rostropovich, and created in 1976 by Antoine Riboud will start a new life through the joint efforts of the Evian Resort and the Modigliani Quartet.
The Modigliani Quartet plays on four Italian instruments: Amaury Coeytaux plays a 1783 violin by Giovanni Battista Guadagnini, Loic Rio plays a 1734 violin by Alessandro Gagliano, Laurent Marfaing plays a 1660 viola by Luigi Mariani, François Kieffer plays a 1706 cello by Matteo Goffriller (former "Warburg") .
- Philippe Bernhard, Loïc Rio: violins
- Laurent Marfaing: viola
- François Kieffer: cello
- Schumann-Wolf-Mendelssohn - Nascor, Ysaÿe Records, 2006 (Schumann: quartet op. 41 no. 1 ; Wolf: "Italian Serenade" ; Mendelssohn: quartet op. 44 no. 1)
- Haydn - Mirare Records, 2008 (quartets op. 76 no. 4 "Sunrise", op. 74 no. 3 "The rider", op. 54 no. 1)
- Mendelssohn - Mirare Records, 2010 (quartets in a minor op. 13, in f minor op. 80, Capriccio op. 81 no. 3)
- Brahms - Mirare Records, 2011 (piano quintet op. 34 w/ Jean-Frédéric Neuburger, Zwei Gësange op. 91 w/ Andrea Hill)
- Intuition - Mirare Records, 2012 (Arriaga: quartet no. 2, Mozart: quartet no. 6 K 159, Schubert: quartet no. 4 D 46)
- Debussy-Ravel-Saint-Saëns - Mirare Records, 2013 (Debussy: quartet in g minor, Ravel: quartet in f major, Saint-Saëns: quartet no. 1)
- Haydn - Mirare Records, 2014 (quartets op. 50 no. 1, op. 76 no. 1, op. 77 no. 1)
- "Modigliani Quartet - News". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Quatuor Modigliani.|
|This article about a French band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|