Ameli, Duchess of Oldenburg
|Duchess of Oldenburg|
4 March 1923|
Frankfurt am Main, Weimar Republic
|Died||26 March 2016
|Spouse||Anton-Günther, Duke of Oldenburg|
Christian, Duke of Oldenburg
|Father||Udo, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg|
|Mother||Countess Margarete of Castell-Castell|
Princess Ameli of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg (German: Prinzessin Ameli Gertrud Pauline Antonie Madeleine Wanda Elisabeth zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg; 4 March 1923 – 26 March 2016) was the daughter of Udo, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, and widow of Anton-Günther, Duke of Oldenburg, the late pretender to the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg who died on September 20, 2014.
Ameli was born at Frankfurt am Main, Weimar Republic the first child of Udo, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg (1896–1980), and his wife, Countess Margarete of Castell-Castell (1899–1969), daughter of Friedrich Carl, Prince of Castell-Castell.
Marriage and family
Ameli married on 7 August 1951 in Kreuzwertheim, to Duke Anton-Günther of Oldenburg (1923–2014), son of Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg (1897–1970) and his first wife Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1899–1948). Duke Anton-Günther is a grandson of the last Grand Duke of Oldenburg, Frederick Augustus II.
They had two children.
- Duchess Helene Elisabeth Bathildis Margarete of Oldenburg (born 3 August 1953 in Rastede), unmarried
- Duke Christian Nikolaus Udo Peter of Oldenburg (born 1 February 1955 in Rastede), married to Countess Caroline zu Rantzau and has issue. Since the death of Duke Anton-Günther, Duke Christian is now the Duke of Oldenburg and head of the Grand Ducal Family of Oldenburg.
Titles and styles
- 4 March 1923 – 7 August 1951: Her Serene Highness Princess Ameli of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg
- 7 August 1951 – 3 April 1970: Her Royal Highness Duchess Ameli of Oldenburg
- 3 April 1970 – 20 September 2014: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Oldenburg
- 20 September 2014 - 26 March 2016: Her Royal Highness The Dowager Duchess of Oldenburg
- Title in pretence:
- 3 April 1970 – 20 September 2014: Her Royal Highness The Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
- 20 September 2014 - 26 March 2016: Her Royal Highness The Dowager Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
|Ancestors of Ameli, Duchess of Oldenburg|
Notes and sources
- C. Arnold McNaughton, The Book of Kings, volume 1, page 210.
- thePeerage.com - Ameli Prinzessin zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Princess Ameli zu Löwenstein-Wertheim- Freudenberg
- L'Allemagne dynastique, Huberty, Giraud, Magdelaine, Reference: IV 475
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: II 381
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser, Reference: 1964 265
- Ameli, Duchess of Oldenburg's obituary (German)
Ameli, Duchess of OldenburgBorn: 4 March 1923
|Titles in pretence|
Anne-Marie von Schutzbar genannt Milchling
|— TITULAR —
Grand Duchess of Oldenburg
3 April 1970 – 20 September 2014
Reason for succession failure:
Grand Duchy abolished in 1918
Countess Caroline zu Rantzau