This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mayor of Olongapo City|
January 1, 1968 – June 30, 1972
|Preceded by||Jaime Guevarra|
|Succeeded by||Geronimo Lipumano|
|Born||Amelia Nepomuceno Juico
September 4, 1919
Castillejos, Zambales, Philippine Islands
|Died||November 17, 2009
Olongapo, Zambales, Philippines
|Political party||Independent (1968-1972)|
|Spouse(s)||James Leonard T. Gordon, Sr.|
|Children||Veronica "Onnie" Gordon-Lorenzana
Barbara "Bai" Gordon-Delos Reyes
Richard "Dick" Gordon
James "Bong" Gordon, Jr.
|Residence||Olongapo City, Zambales, Philippines|
Amelia Juico Gordon was born on September 4, 1919 to Juan Juico and María Nepomuceno y Espíritu (August 6, 1889 in Castillejos, Zambales - January 7, 1972 in Makati, Rizal). Due to financial difficulties, she was never able to finish high school.
She married James Leonard T.Gordon, Sr., an American immigrant, who became the First Municipal Mayor of Olongapo, Zambales. Amelia Juico-Gordon managed several businesses, and supported her husband with hi career. She had five children, and supported abandoned children of the city. She began taking in abandoned Filipino-American children, adopting and raising them as her own, and even giving them her "Juico" last name.
As her husband was walking to the City Hall with people crowding around him, he was shot in the head by an operative of the opposition. She was left to raise her own five children and also her adopted children, on her own.
Several of Gordon's relatives became prominent figures in politics.
- James Leonard T. Gordon, Sr., wife of former Mayor of Olongapo City.
- Barbara "Bai" Gordon-Delos Reyes, daughter of former Mayor and restaurant owner (Barbara's).
- Richard "Dick" Gordon, son of former Mayor, former Senator (2004-2010), former Mayor of Olongapo City (1980-1998), former Delegate to the 1971 Constitutional Convention (1971-1972), former Chairman and Administrator of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (1992-1998), former Secretary of Department of Tourism (2001-2004), and Philippine Red Cross chairman.
- Katherine H. Gordon|Katherine "Kate" Gordon, daughter-in-law of former Mayor and former Mayor of Olongapo City (1995-2004) and former Congressman of 1st District of Zambales (1988-1995).
- James "Bong" Gordon, Jr., son of former Mayor, former Congressman of 1st District of Zambales (1995-2004) and former Mayor of Olongapo City (2004-2013).
- Anne Marie C. Gordon, daughter-in-law of former Mayor and former Vice Governor of Zambales (2007-2010).
- John Carlos de los Reyes, grandson of former mayor and former councilor of Olongapo City.
She continued her life of service in the private sector, advocating the protection and promotion of the welfare of needy and abandoned children, legally adopting fifty-four children as her own, changing the lives of thousands as the founder of the Olongapo Boys Town and Girls Home, and founding several other civic organizations such as the Olongapo City Civic Action Group (OCAG), the Iba-Olongapo Catholic Women’s League (IOCWL), and the Olongapo City Red Cross (OCRC) where she also served as Chairperson for twenty-eight years. She led and founded many civic groups in Olongapo including the Olongapo City Boy’s and Girls Home, Red Cross Olongapo City Chapter (RCOCC) and the Catholic Women’s League of Zambales (CWLZ). She was the first woman elected city Mayor of Olongapo in 1967.
She was Former assemblywoman of the 1984 Batasang Pambansa and recipient of The Pearl S. Buck International Woman of The Year Award in 2002, only the second Filipina to receive such, for her accomplishments in her civic and humanitarian endeavor.
She died on November 17, 2009 at the age of ninety due to stroke. She is survived by her children—Veronica "Onnie" Gordon-Lorenzana, Barbara "Bai" Gordon-Delos Reyes, Cecille Gordon-Mullen, Richard "Dick" Gordon, James "Bong" Gordon and Imelda Deza.
- Gordon Heights Elementary School - Olongapo City, Zambales
- James L. Gordon Integrated School Elementary School - Olongapo City, Zambales
- City of Olongapo National High School - James L. Gordon Integrated School - Olongapo City, Zambales
- Gordon Heights National High School - Olongapo City, Zambales
- Gordon Heights NHS - Sta. Rita High School - Olongapo City, Zambales
- Gordon College - Olongapo City, Zambales
- Gordon Park - Brgy. Kalaklan, Olongapo City, Zambales