America Plaza (San Diego Trolley station)
San Diego Trolley station
Train approaching on the Orange Line
|Address||1050 India Street
San Diego, CA
|Connections||Bus Routes 2, 83, 210, 810, 820, 850, 860, 923, 992|
|Owned by||San Diego Metropolitan Transit System|
America Plaza is a station of the Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines on the San Diego Trolley. It is located in the Downtown Core of the city and is directly connected to One America Plaza, the city's tallest building. The station, and its accompanying 32-story high-rise building, opened on November 14, 1991, making the station the second infill station in the San Diego Trolley system.
The station serves as an interim terminus for the Blue Line, while the Orange Line continues to its terminus directly to the west at the nearby Santa Fe Depot, which is located right across Kettner Boulevard from this station. America Plaza's location directly adjacent to the Santa Fe Depot station also allows for "indirect" transfers to the Green Line as well, as the two stations are within easy walking distance of each other. The next station to the east for both the Blue and the Orange lines, as well as the Silver Line (which comes from the direction of Seaport Village), is Civic Center. The Blue Line arrives and departs on the track closest to Kettner Boulevard. The Orange Line arrives and departs in both directions from the track closest to the office building; the Silver Line also uses this same track, arriving from the west, and departing towards the Civic Center station to the east.
Platforms and tracks
|Orange/Silver Platform||■Orange Line||toward El Cajon Transit Center (Civic Center)|
|■Orange Line||toward Santa Fe Depot (Terminus)|
|■Silver Line||toward 12th & Imperial Transit Center (Civic Center)|
|Blue Platform||■Blue Line||toward San Ysidro Transit Center (Civic Center)|
America Plaza originally was where the Orange and Blue lines split. The Orange Line used to loop south and east on its way to Gaslamp Quarter and back to 12th & Imperial Transit Center, while the Blue Line used to turn north towards Santa Fe Depot on its way to Old Town Transit Center. A system redesign on September 2, 2012, shortened the Blue Line's northern terminus to this station, and rerouted the Orange Line to terminate at Santa Fe Depot, while the western portion of the downtown loop was replaced by service from the Green Line. Once the Mid-Coast extension is completed in 2018, the Blue Line will be re-extended northward through Santa Fe Depot and Old Town to serve the new stations.
This station was closed from October 21 until December 19, 2011, for renovations as part of the Trolley Renewal Project, during which a temporary stop was erected between Columbia and State streets to serve the area.
- "MTS Historical Timeline". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "MTS New Low Floor Trolleys Go Into Service on Monday, October 3rd". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. September 29, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "America Plaza". SubwayNut.com. July 5, 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Santa Fe Transit Center Map" (pdf). San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- "September 2, 2012 Service Changes. Major Bus and Trolley Service Changes". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Mid-Coast Corridor Transit Project". San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG). Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Downtown Area Trolley Stations and Streets to Close for Two Weekends: October 21-23 and October 28-30". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. October 20, 2011. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Trolley Renewal Project". San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
Media related to America Plaza (San Diego Trolley station) at Wikimedia Commons