American Academy of Emergency Medicine
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|United States of America|
|David A. Farcy|
|Journal of Emergency Medicine|
|Affiliations||AAEM Resident and Student Association|
As an organization, AAEM believes:
- Every individual should have unencumbered access to quality emergency care provided by a specialist in emergency medicine.
- The practice of emergency medicine is best conducted by a specialist in emergency medicine.
- A specialist in emergency medicine is a physician who has achieved, through personal dedication and sacrifice, certification by either the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) or the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine (AOBEM).
- The personal and professional welfare of the individual specialist in emergency medicine is a primary concern to the AAEM.
- The Academy supports fair and equitable practice environments necessary to allow the specialist in emergency medicine to deliver the highest quality of patient care. Such an environment includes provisions for due process and the absence of restrictive covenants.
- The Academy supports residency programs and graduate medical education, which are essential to the continued enrichment of emergency medicine, and to ensure a high quality of care for the patient
- The Academy is committed to providing affordable high quality continuing medical education in emergency medicine for its members.
- The Academy supports the establishment and recognition of emergency medicine internationally as an independent specialty and is committed to its role in the advancement of emergency medicine worldwide.
As of 2016, AAEM has over 8,000 members.
AAEM works cooperatively alongside the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians when the interests of emergency medicine call for a united front. Active membership is open to all physicians who have completed an emergency medicine residency approved by either the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education or American Osteopathic Association. The association is also affiliated with the American Academy of Emergency Medicine/Resident and Student Association.
Fellows use the post-nominal letters FAAEM.
- "AAEM". AAEM. Retrieved 2016-12-02.