American Academy of Health Physics
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2013)|
|Type||501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization|
|Focus||Health Physics Certification and Professional Networking|
|John R. Frazier (president)
Raymond H. Johnson (president elect)
|Website||American Academy of Health Physics|
The American Academy of Health Physics (AAHP) is a non-profit organization based in The United States which serves to advance the profession of health physics through networking opportunities for members, certification of health physicists, and advisement to professionals to increase the application of health physics. The Academy has selective criteria for membership in the organization.
The American Academy of Health Physics is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization which seeks to advance the goals of the Health Physics profession, advises the highest moral integrity in the practice of Health Physics, and improves the connections between health physicists, providing an avenue for Certified Health Physicists to obtain certification in the profession. The mission of the AAHP is accomplished with a specific Strategic Plan.
Those eligible for full membership for the American Academy of Health Physics are all individuals who have been granted certification in Comprehensive Health Physics by the American Board of Health Physics (ABHP). Those completing the first part of the two-part exam are eligible for associate membership. As of May 2012, the AAHP has 1,336 members.
The President is.John R. Frazier, who has over 32 years of experience workinking as a health physicist for the U.S. FDA Bureau of Radiological Health (1977-1980), Oak Ridge Associated Universities (1980-1986), IT Corporation (1986-1993), and Auxier & Associates (1993-2004) 
Awards and Recognitions
The Academy has several awards 
William McAdams Outstanding Service Award
The William McAdams Outstanding Service Award, is named after one of the founders of the Certification process for health physicists, William A. McAdams, It is given to those certified Health Physicists who have made a significant contribution toward the advancement of professionalism in Health Physics and to the Certification process. The award may be given posthumously. It has been awarded to:
- 1989 – John W. Healy
- 1990 – H. Wade Patterson
- 1991 – Richard R. Bowers
- 1992 – Lester A. Slaback, Jr.
- 1993 – Kenneth W. Skrable
- 1994 – Leroy F. Booth
- 1995 – William R. Casey
- 1996 – Frazier L. Bronson
- 1997 – Robert M. Ryan
- 1998 – Dale H. Denham
- 1999 – Bryce L. Rich
- 2000 – James E. Turner
- 2001 – George J. Vargo, Jr.
- 2002 – Paul L. Ziemer
- 2003 – Herman Cember
- 2004 – Edward F. Maher
- 2005 – Dade W. Moeller
- 2006 – William C. Reinig
- 2007 – Kathryn H. Pryor
- 2008 – James S. Willison
- 2009 – Michael S. Terpilak
- 2010 – Nancy P. Kirner
- 2011 – Jerry W. Hiatt
- 2012 – Robert N. Cherry, Jr.
Joyce P. Davis Memorial Award
The Joyce P. Davis Memorial Award is given in memory and honor of Joyce P. Davis to those distinguished for excellence in professional achievement , outstanding ethical behavior, and interpersonal skills. It has been awarded to:
- John J. Kelly, 2002
- James E. Tarpinian, 2004
- Carol D. Berger, 2006
- Howard W. Dickson, 2008
- Frazier L. Bronson, 2010
Academy of Service Award
The Academy of Service Award is awarded for exceptional service to the AAHP during the immediate Past President’s term of office. Recipients have been:
- Nancy Johnson, 2008
- E. Scott Medling, 2009
- Dan Strom, 2010
- Kyle Kleinhans, 2011
- Sandra J. Brereton, 2012
Certification as Health Physicist
Certified Health Physicist is a title regulated by the American Board of Health Physics. It designates a health physicist certified in the application of health physics through competency and holistic review by the American Board of Health Physics. There are a number of requirements to obtain such certification.
Other Relevant Organizations
- American Board of Medical Physics (ABMP)
- American Board of Radiology (ABR)
- American Board of Science in Nuclear Medicine (ABSNM)
- American College of Medical Physics (ACMP)
- American College of Radiology (ACR)
- The Canadian College of Physics in Medicine
- National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologists (NRRPT)
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
- Membership Requirements, 2010 American Academy of Health Physics
- Ryan, Michael T., Poston, Sr., John W., eds. (20066). A Half Century of Health Physics: 50th Anniversary of the Health Physics Society. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- NCRP. (2007). NCRP Report No. 157. Radiation Protection in Educational Institutions: Recommendations of the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements. Bethesda, MD.
- "Candidate for President Elect" (PDF). Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- William McAdams Outstanding Service Award, Health Physics Society, 2010
- Joyce P. Davis Memorial Award, Health Physics Society, 2010