American Advisors Group
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2015)|
|Founded||Irvine, California, USA (2004)|
|Headquarters||3800 W. Chapman Avenue
Orange, California 92868
|Key people||Reza Jahangiri, CEO/Founder|
American Advisors Group (AAG) is the top lender in the American reverse mortgage industry, licensed to operate in 48 states. The company provides government-insured Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) loans and has 81 geographical areas approved for business by HUD.
In June 2009 the company received a capital-infusion commitment from private-equity firm JAM Equity Partners of El Segundo, California, an investment said to give AAG "the resources needed to compete on a national level with a celebrity spokesperson and [to] build a recognizable brand." At the same time, the company announced it had brought in "a new management team" from Liberty Reverse Mortgage/Genworth and the Senior Lending Network. Jahangiri told Reverse Mortgage Daily that the company would be "sticking with retail" rather than moving to other aspects of the business.
AAG completed its first Home Mortgage-Backed Security (HMBS) issuance in July 2013, after receiving approval from Ginnie Mae, in a program said to be "an essential financial solution for a growing number of senior citizens." 
In October 2009, AAG announced that film and television actor Peter Graves had been selected as the spokesperson for the second half of the company's national media campaign, which in its first phase had featured "personalized stories" of the way that reverse mortgages had affected homeowners. He remained spokesman until his death in March 2010.
Former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee became the AAG spokesman in May 2010. Thompson is an attorney, actor, author and commentator who is active in politics and hosts a nationally syndicated radio show.
Thompson is featured in AAG’s national TV campaign, its website, its customer information packets and DVDs. Thompson’s commercials also promote the benefits of an AAG reverse mortgage for American seniors. The advertisements run on cable and national networks.
Awards and rankings
In September 2012, AAG won three awards from Reverse Mortgage Daily for Best Retail Brand, Best Lead Provider and Best Celebrity Spokesperson (Fred Thompson).
The Orange County Register ranked American Advisors Group #3 on its 2013 list of top workplaces in the county and honored Jahangiri with the leadership award for the large company category. In 2014, AAG was again named an Orange County Top Workplace for a second consecutive year.
American Advisors Group is ranked as the nation's top reverse mortgage retail and wholesale originator and is rated third in wholesale unit growth. The company has earned an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau, is a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development approved lender, and member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association.
Jahangiri was honored as a 2014 Orange County regional finalist for Entrepreneur of the YearTM by Ernst & Young. During the same year, AAG was named a Top Performing Company finalist by the Orange County chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth.
Beginning in January 2012, AAG CEO Reza Jahangiri took over as senior editor of The Reverse Review, a magazine dedicated to advancing the availability and the quality of the reverse mortgage product.
The company's corporate giving program, AAGives Back, supports the company's anchor charity, the Kwagala Project, to help victims of human trafficking in Africa. It also supports the Alzheimer's Association of Orange County, Second Harvest Food Bank and other local charities.
- "NMLS Consumer Access". Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- Billingsley, Eric. "Reverse Mortgage Lending Sees Consolidation, Stimulus Boost". Orange County Business Journal. Orange County Business Journal. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. "Lender: AMERICAN ADVISORS GROUP". Lender AAFB Data. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Makkar, Aman (September 2011). "We Are CIS". The Reverse Review: 20–25. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Yedinak, John. "Exclusive: Interview With CEO of AAG". Reverse Mortgage Daily. Reverse Mortgage Daily. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Yedinak, John. "Reverse Mortgage Lender Raises $4 Million, Gears Up For Expansion". Reverse Mortgage Daily. Reverse Mortgage Daily. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Elizabeth Ecker, "Despite Market Changes, AAG Looks to Set New Reverse Mortgage Records," Reverse Mortgage Daily, August 5, 2013
- "Home Equity Conversion Mortgage-Backed Security (HMBS) Program," GinnieMae, January 18, 2013
- Collins, Jeff. "Lender sees rapid growth". Orange County Register. Orange County Register. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Better Business Bureau®. "American Advisors Group". BBB Business Review. The Better Business Bureau of the Southland, Inc. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Jeff Collins, "American Advisers Group Sees Rapid Growth," Orange County Register, December 5, 2013, page 1
- Yedinak, John. "AAG Launches Wholesale Reverse Mortgage Division, Hires Chargin as AE". Reverse Mortgage Daily. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Elizabeth Ecker, "AAG Hires Kim Smith to Oversee Reverse Mortgage Wholesale Channel," Reverse Mortgage Daily, January 6, 2013
- Yedinak, John. "Reverse Mortgage Lender Rolls Out Celebrity Media Campaign". Reverse Mortgage Daily. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Yedinak, John. "AAG Announces Fred Thompson as Reverse Mortgage Spokesman". Reverse Mortgage Daily. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Sullivan, Bob. "From presidential candidate to paid mouthpiece, politicians cashing in". The RedTape Chronicles. NBC News. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "The Top 100 HECM Lenders Report," HECM World, December 2, 2013
- Better Business Bureau®. "American Advisors Group". BBB Business Review. The Better Business Bureau of the Southland, Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2012.,
- National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association. "Lender Locator". Your Guide to Reverse Mortgages. 2012 National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Yedinak, John. "After Closing of AppraiserLoft, Reverse Review Sold". Reverse Mortgage Daily. Reverse Mortgage Daily. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Jeff Collins, "American Advisers Group Sees Rapid Growth," Orange County Register, December 5, 2013, page 2
- Elizabeth Ecker, "Reverse Mortgage Lenders Look Beyond Senior Population to Give Back," Reverse Mortgage Daily, April 7, 2012