American Airpower Museum
Exterior of the museum
East Farmingdale, New York
The American Airpower Museum, is an aviation museum located on the former site of Republic Aviation at Republic Airport in East Farmingdale, New York. It maintains a collection of aviation artifacts and an array of aircraft spanning the many years of the aircraft factory's history.
The museum has many static displays which includes a Republic F-84 first generation jet fighter, a rare example of the swept-wing RF-84F reconnaissance variant, and an Republic F-105 Thunderchief. The last production aircraft was the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II.
The museum has a group of volunteers which includes both former Republic workers and veterans of all branches of the military. A flight experience is available on board a C-47 aircraft which actually flew during the Normandy invasion on D-Day.
For several years the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had been pursuing a $10.6 million plan to tear down the 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) hangar built around 1940 and replace it with a safety apron at the end of a north-south runway to provide more room for emergency stops. In March 2011 Democrats Charles Schumer and Steve Israel said that the FAA stated it was not necessary for the hangar to be torn down, but if it was, federal money could be used to help relocate the hangar (to a proposed location further south along New Highway.
Aircraft on display
- Aero L-39C Albatros 4605
- Aero L-39ZA Albatros 2424
- Cessna 337B Super Skymaster N888B
- Consolidated PBY-6A Catalina 64072
- Douglas C-47B Skytrain 44-76717
- Fairchild Republic A-10A Thunderbolt II 80-0247
- General Dynamics F-111A Aardvark 67-0047
- Goodyear FG-1D Corsair 67089
- Grumman TMB-3E Avenger 85886
- North American AT-6D Texan 49-3829
- North American AT-28D Trojan 49-1496
- North American B-25 Mitchell 40-2168 Miss Hap
- North American P-51D Mustang replica
- North American SNJ-5 42-85986
- Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler 162938
- Republic F-84E Thunderjet 49-2348
- Republic F-84F Thunderstreak 51-9480
- Republic RF-84F Thunderflash 53-7595
- Republic P-47D Thunderbolt 44-90447 Jacky's Revenge
- Republic F-105D Thunderchief 62-4361
- RotorWay Scorpion Too N8PA
- Waco UPF-7 N32006
- "Museum in Republic Airport hangar saved". Newsday.com. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "Aircraft - American Airpower Museum". American Airpower Museum. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "American Airpower Museum". aviationmuseum.eu. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "A-10 Thunderbolt II/80-0247." aerialvisuals.ca Retrieved: 4 April 2016.
- American Airpower Museum
- American Airpower Museum Flying Activities - May 24, 2009, YouTube video
- Explore Long Island - tourism listing
- WW2Museums.com listing on the museum
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American Airpower Museum.|