American Association of Independent Music
The American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) is a trade association that represents independent record labels in the United States, founded in 2005. A2IM is headquartered in New York City, with chapters located in Nashville, Chicago, Northern California, Southern California, and the Pacific Northwest.
The organization was preceded by the National Association of Independent Record Distributors (NAIRD) founded in 1972, which in 1997 changed its name to the Association for Independent Music (AFIM), which dissolved in 2004.
A2IM launched on July 5, 2005. The organization has some 600 independent music label members and over 200 associate members (companies who don't own masters but rely upon, provide services for, or otherwise support independent music labels). A2IM was preceded by the National Association of Independent Record Distributors (NAIRD) founded in 1972. In 1997 it changed its name to the Association for Independent Music (AFIM). As AFIM, the organization was best known for the annual issuing of Indie Awards, recognizing artistic and commercial success among artists signed to independent music labels. These were known as "NAIRD awards" prior to the name change. The AFIM Indie Awards were last issued in 2003, and the organization dissolved in 2004. The name "Indie Award" has since been adopted by the Canadian Music Week convention.
While A2IM presents events for members and non-members alike in various cities, they are best known for their three large scale flagship events – IndieWeek, an independent music focused conference located in New York City, the Libera Awards, an independent music award show located in New York City, and Synchup, an independent music licensing and digital conference located in Los Angeles.
The organization's board of directors is composed of the following:
- Stephanie Alexa - ATO Records VP of Finance and Licensing
- Craig Balsam - Razor & Tie CEO and Co-Founder
- Glenn Dicker - Yep Roc Records Founder
- Amy Deitz - INgrooves EVP and GM
- Dave Hansen - Epitaph Records/Anti General Manager
- Andrew Kautz - Big Machine Label Group COO
- Martin Mills - Beggars Group Founder/CEO
- Louis Posen - Hopeless Records Founder/CEO
- Scott Robinson - Dualtone Records CEO/Co-Founder
- Tom Silverman - Tommy Boy Founder/CEO
- Darius Van Arman - Secretly Label Group Co-Owner
The organization's president's advisory committee is composed of:
- Alisa Coleman - ABKCO Music & Records COO
- Randy Chin - VP Records President
- Amit Nerurkar - Mass Appeal Records General Manager .
- Steve Gordon (2011). The Future of the Music Business: How to Succeed with the New Digital Technologies, pp. 273–276. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 1617130729
- Chris Morris (17 April 2004). "AFIM to Shut; New Era begins?. Billboard, pp. 6 and 77
- Geoffrey Hull, Thomas Hutchison, Richard Strasser (2011). The Music and Recording Business, pp. 188; 317. Routledge. ISBN 113691112X
- A2IM Indie Week
- The Libera Awards
- A2IM SynchUp
- Garner, George (17 January 2019). "A2IM reveal host of new promotions". Music Week. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "WIN Members". Worldwide Independent Networks. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- Roberts, Paul F. (March 20, 2007). "The fate of indie music as we know it". Salon.