American Baseball Coaches Association
|Headquarters||Greensboro, North Carolina|
The American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) is the world's largest amateur baseball coaching organization. It was originally founded in 1945 as the American Association of College Baseball Coaches. Now, the ABCA comprises over 8,300 baseball coaches from all levels of amateur baseball, including youth, high school, travel ball, NAIA, JUCO and NCAA Divisions I, II and III, among others.
The organization was originally named the American Association of College Baseball Coaches. Presidents have come from NCAA Divisions I, II & III, NAIA, junior college, and high school. The Association was behind the start of the creation of the College World Series, which now is conducted by the NCAA.
As of 2016, the Association has over 8,300 members with members hailing from nearly 25 different countries, and includes coaches from all ranks of amateur baseball. The membership year for the ABCA runs from September 1 through August 31.
The ABCA hosts the world's largest baseball convention every January. The convention features coaching clinics, trade show and meetings as well as several awards presentations and honors. Over 5,600 coaches attend the convention, which lasts for four days.
The convention is on a rotating schedule with the 2017 convention scheduled for Anaheim, California, 2018 in Indianapolis, Indiana and the 2019 convention in Dallas, Texas.
A major draw are the nearly 30 clinic speakers each year. These include some of the most knowledgeable baseball coaches and minds in the world and are on-hand to share their experiences and expertise with fellow coaches. Attendees receive each clinic video for free at the end of the convention on ABCAvideos.org.
At the ABCA Trade Show, over 330 companies fill up over 130,000 square feet of exhibit space and are on hand to display state-of-the-art equipment and products, including coaching aids, apparel, field equipment, pitching machines and software. Many products are displayed for the first time and some items are even raffled off as prizes.
Hall of Fame
Induction to the ABCA Hall of Fame is the highest honor bestowed by the ABCA organization. The ABCA Hall of Fame was established in 1966 with the inaugural 18 member class. Each year's Hall of Fame class is inducted during the Hall of Fame/Coach of the Year Banquet at the annual ABCA Convention in January. The entire American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame is honored at www.ABCAHallOfFame.org.
The ABCA has selected All-American Teams in each division of the ABCA, as well as an All-American/Coach of the Year Committee, as well as All-Region Teams. Each division also selects a National Player of the Year, as well as All-Region Coaches of the Year and National Coaches of the Year. Each year, over 1,700 All-Region Players and 336 All-American Players are selected.
- Lefty Gomez Award has been presented since 1962. The award goes to an individual who has distinguished himself amongst his peers and has contributed significantly to the game of baseball locally, nationally and internationally. This award is sponsored by Wilson Sporting Goods.
- ABCA Honor Award - The American Baseball Coaches Association's Honor Award is presented annually to individuals involved in baseball who have distinguished themselves and are recognized for achievements in their profession. It is presented during the Honors Luncheon on the third day of the convention. Former honorees include Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan, Tony LaRussa, John Smoltz, David Price and Rob Manfred.
- ABCA Meritorious Service Award - The Meritorious Service Award is presented to a person who has proven himself/herself in service to amateur baseball and the ABCA, and whose actions and involvement have resulted in a notable impact on the sport. Service may include years of participation, administration, contribution, innovation, or exposure/advancement of amateur baseball through media coverage.
- ABCA Ethics in Coaching Award
- ABCA/Diamond Coaches of the Year:
- NCAA Division I National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- NCAA Division II National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- NCAA Division III National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- NAIA National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- NJCAA Division I National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- NJCAA Division II National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- NJCAA Division III National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- Pacific Association Division Coach of the Year
- High School National and Regional Coaches of the Year
- ABCA/Baseball America Assistant Coach of the Year (college) (since 1999)
- ABCA/Rawlings Players of the Year:
- NCAA Division I Player of the Year
- NCAA Division II Player of the Year
- NCAA Division III Player of the Year
- NAIA Player of the Year
- NJCAA Division I Player of the Year
- NJCAA Division II Player of the Year
- NJCAA Division III Player of the Year
- Pacific Association Division Player of the Year
- High School Player of the Year
- ABCA/Rawlings All-Americans:
- NCAA Division I All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- NCAA Division II All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- NCAA Division III All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- NAIA All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- NJCAA Division I All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- NJCAA Division II All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- NJCAA Division III All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- Pacific Association Division All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- High School All-Americans (first, second, and third teams)
- ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Awards:
- NCAA Division I Gold Glove
- NCAA Division II Gold Glove
- NCAA Division III Gold Glove
- NAIA Gold Glove
- NJCAA Division I Gold Glove
- NJCAA Division II Gold Glove
- NJCAA Division III Gold Glove
- Pacific Association Division Gold Glove
- High School Gold Glove
- ABCA/Rawlings All-Region:
- NCAA Division I All-Region
- NCAA Division II All-Region
- NCAA Division III All-Region
- NAIA All-Region
- NJCAA Division I All-Region
- NJCAA Division II All-Region
- NJCAA Division III All-Region
- Pacific Association Division All-Region
- High School All-Region
The ABCA launched the revamped ABCAvideos.org in 2016, which sells both Videos On Demand (VOD) of detailed training and instruction from past clinic speakers. The ABCAvideos.org library features over 200 videos that range from 45 minutes to 1 hour in length dating back to the 2008 ABCA Convention. Topics of discussion include player development and positional play as well as coaching development. All coaches that attend the annual ABCA Convention receive that year's set of clinic videos free of charge and current ABCA members also receive 30% off all ABCAvideos.org purchases.
- "This is the ABCA". ABCA. June 29, 1945. Archived from the original on 2 April 2010. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Baseball in Florida – Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- "Alexander Joins ABCA All-America Committee". CSTV.com. September 19, 2007. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- "The Leader – Serving the communities of Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, Mayport and Ponte Vedra Beach". Beachesleader.com. February 20, 2009. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- "ABCA Membership Benefits". ABCA. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- "2015 ABCA Convention". ABCA. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Coaches of the Year
- Assistant Coaches of the Year
- Players of the Year
- ABCA All-Americans
- ABCA Gold Gloves
- All-Region Teams