American Champion Male Turf Horse
The American Champion Male Turf Horse award is an American Thoroughbred horse racing honor. In 1971 it became part of the Eclipse Awards program and is awarded annually to a Colt or Gelding, regardless of age, for their performance on grass race courses.
The award originated in 1953 when the Daily Racing Form (DRF) named Iceberg II their champion. The Thoroughbred Racing Association (TRA) added the category in 1967. The organisations disagreed only once, in 1968.
The Daily Racing Form, the Thoroughbred Racing Associations, and the National Turf Writers Association all joined forces in 1971 to create the Eclipse Award. From 1953 through 1978 it was awarded to male or female horses although the only female champion was Dahlia in 1974. In 1979 an individual category was created for each of the sexes.
Starting with the 2015 Eclipse Awards it is no longer possible for a Champion Male Turf Horse to also win Champion Older Male Horse, as the latter category is now restricted to horses proficient in dirt or main track races. The last such winner of both awards was Main Sequence in 2014.
- 4 - John Henry (1980, 1981, 1983, 1984)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 6 - Ron McAnally (1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1991, 1995)
Most wins by an owner:
Daily Racing Form, Turf & Sport Digest and Thoroughbred Racing Association Awards
|1970||Fort Marcy||6||J. Elliott Burch||Rokeby Stables|
|1969||Hawaii||5||MacKenzie Miller||Cragwood Stables|
|1968||Fort Marcy (TRA)||4||J. Elliott Burch||Rokeby Stables|
|1968||Dr. Fager (DRF)||4||John A. Nerud||William L. McKnight|
|1967||Fort Marcy||3||J. Elliott Burch||Rokeby Stables|
|1966||Assagai||3||MacKenzie Miller||Cragwood Stables|
|1965||Parka||7||Warren A. Croll, Jr.||Pelican Stable|
|1964||Turbo Jet II||4||Frank A. Bonsal||Barclay Stable|
|1963||Mongo||4||Frank A. Bonsal||Marion duPont Scott|
|1961||T.V. Lark||4||Paul Parker||C. R. McCoy|
|1959||Round Table||5||William Molter||Brookmeade Stable|
|1958||Round Table||4||William Molter||Kerr Stable|
|1957||Round Table||3||William Molter||Brookmeade Stable|
|1956||Career Boy||3||Sylvester Veitch||Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney|
|1955||St. Vincent||4||Vance Longden||George R. Gardiner & Alberta Ranches|
|1954||Stan||4||Harry Trotsek||Hasty House Farm|
|1953||Iceberg II||5||Horatio Luro||W. Arnold Hanger|
- Hegarty, Matt (February 19, 2015). "Eclipse Awards: Turfers no longer eligible in older-male, older-female categories". drf.com. Daily Racing Form. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- "Dr. Fager voted best". Youngstown Vindicator. December 6, 1968. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "D. Fager Named Horse Of The Year". Lewiston Morning Tribune. 1968-11-27. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Tom Fool catches foe Native Dancer at last". Deseret News. November 13, 1953. Retrieved 2012-07-15.